the fastest way to take notes using OneNote

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Mike, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi all,

    I am not sure if I can post questions about OneNote and generally
    note-taking as one part of student life here.

    If you know a more focused group/forum/list talking about OneNote and
    notetaking softwares, please let me know...

    My question is:

    Is there a notetaking software that supports the following feature?

    When I read e-books (in pdf) on computer, I use markers/highlighters to mark
    important portions.

    And then once I finish reading the book, by clicking a button I will be able
    to have all the marked portions (including text and graphs) all extracted
    out from the pdf file and put into a seperate pdf(or other format) file, and
    then the newly extracted book becomes a condensed version of the old book
    and a review-sheet with all the important points outlined.

    Can OneNote do this? Or any other software?

    I found it's increasing needed to create a marked-outline of those important
    portions of the books that I've read.

    Currently I am doing this by hand. It is extremely tedious.

    I have to copy the screen, and extract a portion as a bitmap, and then paste
    into a WORD file.

    But placing bitmaps into WORD file in a nice way isn't easy - it's very
    tricky to layout bitmaps after bitmaps.

    If there is no software/automatic solutions, any easier /more convinient
    solutions for the manual side?

    Thanks

    Mike, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Mike

    Chris H Guest

    The microsoft.public.onenote, where the program is supported by the OneNote
    MVPs, is a good place for your questions. As for your annotating PDF file,
    you really need to bug Adobe because they're the ones dragging their feet
    with Ink support in their programs. If you do a quick search on the
    Internet you'll find quite a few programs which claim to have these
    functions, so the choice would be up to you.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Feb 16, 2008

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    What are the search key words you used?
    I searched a lot but couldn't find any software with the feature of not only
    annotating the PDF, but also extract out them to be a condensed version.

    Mike, Feb 16, 2008
  4. Mike

    Chris H Guest

    One that really stands out is "PDF annotator" -
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pdf annotator&btnG=Search

    Chris H, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Yes they can annotate, but none of them can extract the annotated parts into
    a condensed version...

    Mike, Feb 18, 2008
  6. Mike

    Chris H Guest

    :cool: That's something you need to speak with Adobe support about. The PDF
    program is their proprietary format, and they're not budging on Ink support
    functionality. They haven't, and probably never will.

    Chris H, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Mike

    vts Guest

    I've been very happy with PDFAnnotator for the past several years. The
    program is continually improving.

    A program that I am trying out right now is Bluebeam Revu
    (http://www.bluebeam.com/web07/us/?src=99). This is a kind of mash up of
    Acrobat and Annotator. For my uses, it seems to function as well as Acrobat
    in terms of creating/handling PDF's (though perhaps Acrobat is a little
    crisper in viewing??). It doesn't ink quite as well as Annotator, but does a
    MUCH better job than Acrobat. My biggest grip with it is that it doesn't
    allow full screen views which are nice for reading.

    As for extracting the highlighed text... I don't think you will find any
    program to do that. You are looking to both highlight and select text at
    the same time, and from my rudimentary understandning, these are discrete
    processes. Plus, I don't think you can keep multiple selections active for
    the time it takes to read a paper.

    I have been using OneNote 207 with Live Share between a tablet and a
    desktop. I can easily cut out figures, tables or relevant text using the
    clipping function in Acrobat/Revu and paste in OneNote and then use Ink on my
    tablet to annotate as I see fit.

    vts, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Are you saying that you cut and paste all the "important portions" manually?

    Mike, Feb 24, 2008