    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

    Charles Lindsey, May 21, 2008

  2. Charles Lindsey

    Dave Guest

    Charles Lindsey wrote:
    > Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    > and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    > have written it all up on my website at
    > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    > Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    > (mis)handles floppies.
    >
    > Comments will be welcomed.

    I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    Dave, May 27, 2008

  3. In comp.sys.sun.hardware Dave <> wrote:
    > Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >> Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    >> and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    >> have written it all up on my website at
    >> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    >> Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    >> (mis)handles floppies.
    >>
    >> Comments will be welcomed.

    > I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    or using floppies anywhere at all.

    Cydrome Leader, May 28, 2008
  4. Charles Lindsey

    AGT Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:29:09 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >> Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having attempted to relocate a Flopy Drive from a SPARC-5 to an Ultra-2,
    >>> and encountered all sorts of misfeatures, bugs and incompatibilities, I
    >>> have written it all up on my website at
    >>> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/floppy-muddle.html
    >>> Hopefully, this will provide a general guide to how SPARCs and Solaris
    >>> (mis)handles floppies.
    >>> Comments will be welcomed.

    >> I suspect few people now are going to be using floppies in Suns.

    If you have a PC-DOS floppy you should be able to make an image of it
    and net that over and use lofiadm to mount the iso

    > I found that an external USB floppy drive 'just works' with Solaris 10,
    > though haven't done anything beyond showing that it works. FWIW, I
    > bought the external drive to help make a recovery floppy for her laptop.

    Since when is an Ultra 2 a laptop?
    Its an SBUS based SPARC machine - where are you going to
    plug in the external USB drive?

    AGT, May 28, 2008
  5. Charles Lindsey

    AGT Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 22:15:38 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:

    > AGT wrote:

    Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >> If you have a PC-DOS floppy you should be able to make an image of it
    >> and net that over and use lofiadm to mount the iso
    >>>I found that an external USB floppy drive 'just works' with Solaris 10,
    >>>though haven't done anything beyond showing that it works. FWIW, I
    >>>bought the external drive to help make a recovery floppy for her laptop.

    >> Since when is an Ultra 2 a laptop?
    >> Its an SBUS based SPARC machine - where are you going to
    >> plug in the external USB drive?

    > My comment about the laptop was in reference to my wife's laptop, NOT
    > the OP's Ultra 2 (accidentally edited out the reference to my wife).
    > Since almost all new laptops (and quite a few desktops) lack a floppy
    > drive (not a big loss), having an external USB floppy can be handy. The
    > point I was trying to make was that the external USB floppy drive 'just
    > works' with Solaris 10 on a box recent enough to support a USB port.

    It was off-topic AFAICT : > optimistic as well. x86 on Solaris has
    a way to go yet. Many things are still problematic on my laptop
    that shouldnt be. Im at b83 something too. My suspicion is that
    SOME USB floppies would work - not all : <

    And a waste of money since Solaris only reads/writes/mounts ancient PC-DOS
    FAT disks you can simply 'iso' a floppy and use lofiadm to mount it.

    AGT, May 29, 2008
  6. Charles Lindsey

    Huge Guest

    On 2008-05-29, AGT <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 22:15:38 -0700, erik magnuson wrote:
    >
    >> AGT wrote:

    > Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

    Huge, May 30, 2008
  7. In <g1ohe4$g3s$> Huge <> writes:

    >> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    Charles Lindsey, Jun 2, 2008
  8. Charles Lindsey

    Dave Guest

    Charles Lindsey wrote:

    >>> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >> The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    > AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    > handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    And you can be bothered to fit it!

    Dave, Jun 2, 2008
  9. Charles Lindsey

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-06-02, Charles Lindsey <> wrote:

    >>> Ditto - although I have a couple still on OLD SPARCs

    >>The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    > AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    > handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    Interesting. I've still got a couple of DSDD 8" floppy drives.
    Aside from needing an external housing (which I have), you would also
    need to play games with the cables, because the 5.25" and 3.5" floppies
    use a 34-pin connector, while the 8" ones use a 50-pin connector. A bit
    of digging for the pinouts, replace the smartcard "drive" with a plate
    carrying a connector, and there you are.

    Of course -- from my first unix box (a Cosmos CMS-16/UNX -- v7
    unix on MC68000 (8MHz) in Intel Multibus) I still have the controller
    for the 10 MB 8" Shugart hard drive and the 8" floppy -- adapting both
    to SCSI, so I could probably just hang that on a system without needing
    the metalwork.

    Next question is "why"? :) Do I have anything which I might
    still need to read on 8" floppies? And if I do -- a lot of it will be
    on the SSB (Smoke Signal Broadcasting) DOS-68 and DOS-69 formats. I
    think that I remember enough about that format to write something which
    would process an image of the disk and extract files. An interesting
    system -- instead of being something like a FAT, it was built on
    doubly linked lists. Each file used the last four bytes contained
    track and sector for the next sector and track and sector for the
    previous sector. The directory was similarly structured, so it could be
    expanded at need. All free sectors were yet another linked list, with
    the most recently deleted file tacked onto the tail of the list so you
    had the maximum chance to recover it before it was overwritten.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Jun 2, 2008
  10. In <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:

    >>>The only floppies I have are 8" ones....

    >> AFAICT, the Intel Chip and the Solaris driver are still quite capable of
    >> handling shuch floppies, if you can find a suitable drive for them.

    > Interesting. I've still got a couple of DSDD 8" floppy drives.
    >Aside from needing an external housing (which I have), you would also
    >need to play games with the cables, because the 5.25" and 3.5" floppies
    >use a 34-pin connector, while the 8" ones use a 50-pin connector. A bit
    >of digging for the pinouts, replace the smartcard "drive" with a plate
    >carrying a connector, and there you are.

    Hmmm! Maybe I was being a bit too optimistic. But for sure a 5.25" drive
    would be no problem.

    Charles Lindsey, Jun 3, 2008