    now, the fan runs faster under same conditions, and the sound is a
    little less. I don't think those of us who want silence will think it
    is acceptable.

    Jim T, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Jim T

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Jim T" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just installed the new Shuttle 250 watt power supply in a SB75g2
    > that originally sounded like a turbojet. My power supply runs cooler
    > now, the fan runs faster under same conditions, and the sound is a
    > little less. I don't think those of us who want silence will think it
    > is acceptable.

    Jim

    Is this the "Silent X" that you talk about ?

    http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/barebone/specs_a.asp?A_id=28

    I suggested to someone that this power supply could quieten their SN41G2.

    eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Jim T

    Jim T Guest

    Yes, this is their new quiet Silent X power supply. Definitely runs
    cooler. At similar fan speeds is a bit quieter. I am going to install
    one in my SB 51g too.
    But it did not make my SB75g2 "quiet".
    JGT

    Jim T, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Jim T

    Clas Mehus Guest

    On 20 Jan 2004 07:55:30 -0800, (Jim T) wrote:

    >Yes, this is their new quiet Silent X power supply. Definitely runs
    >cooler. At similar fan speeds is a bit quieter. I am going to install
    >one in my SB 51g too.
    >But it did not make my SB75g2 "quiet".
    >JGT

    Let's hope for more models with external PSU.
    I measured the ST61G4 to 41-43 dB with P4 2,8 GHz and Samsung P80 160
    GB HDD -- almost 10 dB less with the ST62K with the same config (the
    temperature inside the "case" I use for noise-measurements was about
    26-27 degrees after the PC had been on for a while with the case
    closed -- did this to see how the heat could make the fans spin
    faster. While 26-27 is very hot here in Norway for a room, it ain't
    unnormal other places...) . The ST61G4 has the SilentX, while the
    ST62K was the one annonced today with 180W external PSU. Too bad the
    ST62K don't have AGP.... But let's hope for some other models with
    external PSU -- which don't have fan(s).

    --
    Clas Mehus
    Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

    Clas Mehus, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Jim T

    Olaf Krause Guest

    For me it's around 5 ° cooler (new 41° old 50°) but noisier then the old
    default one (SB61G2)

    Olaf Krause, Jan 28, 2004