Thinking of getting Quad

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Eva, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. Eva

    Eva Guest

    Hello,
    I am thinking about get a new computer soon and have been debating whether
    or not to go quad. I have read that quad doesn't really do a thing for ya
    unless the app's you run take advantage of quad cores but I cannot find a
    list anywhere that states what app's do Quad. Or even any info on a
    particular software's web site. Does anyone know of such a list or at least
    can tell me what app's they know of that do quad? I know adobe Photoshop is
    one but what others?
    TIA

    1. Advertising

  2. * Eva:

    > I am thinking about get a new computer soon and have been debating
    > whether or not to go quad. I have read that quad doesn't really do a
    > thing for ya unless the app's you run take advantage of quad cores but I
    > cannot find a list anywhere that states what app's do Quad. Or even any
    > info on a particular software's web site. Does anyone know of such a
    > list or at least can tell me what app's they know of that do quad? I
    > know adobe Photoshop is one but what others?

    There is no such thing as software that "does quadcore". There are
    applications that make use of multiple cores/CPUs (multithreaded
    applications), and there are applications that don't make use of
    multiple cores/CPUs but just utilize one core/CPU (singlethreaded
    applications). You will find that indeed there are dozens of
    multithreaded applications out there. However, if your applications are
    multithreaded should be checked beforehand.

    Usually you should first think about what you want to do with the
    computer. If program X is multithreaded is just irrelevant if you can't
    use this program for your tasks. Besides that, you should also be aware
    that with a quadcore it's more likely that the shared FSB will become a
    bottleneck.

    Benjamin

    1. Advertising

  3. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Eva wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am thinking about get a new computer soon and have been debating
    > whether or not to go quad. I have read that quad doesn't really do a
    > thing for ya unless the app's you run take advantage of quad cores but I
    > cannot find a list anywhere that states what app's do Quad. Or even any
    > info on a particular software's web site. Does anyone know of such a
    > list or at least can tell me what app's they know of that do quad? I
    > know adobe Photoshop is one but what others?

    Each individual program doesn't have to be able to use all of your cores
    for there to be an advantage to you. You can still make use of all your
    cores if you run several different programs at the same time. Sometimes
    some programs get stuck and use up all of your processor resources,
    having another core or two will help you to continue working on other
    things while this errant program fixes itself or if you like, you can
    kill it off.

    These days there's not much price difference between a two-core or a
    four-core.

    Yousuf Khan