    runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
    this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
    parameters?

    Andrey, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Andrey

    Jon Solberg Guest

    Andrey said the following on 2005-08-10 16:13:
    > I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
    > found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
    > it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
    > processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
    > runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle.

    I don't know about the R51, but I experienced the whole range of the
    earlier RX series much noisier than the TX dittos. It got very quiet on
    my desktop when I changed from a R30 to my present T23. Does the later
    R-series have speed step enabled CPUs? I know that my R30 didn't and
    that it's Celeron processor had a tendency to run very hot (hence: much
    noise).

    --
    Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).

    Jon Solberg, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Andrey

    JHEM Guest

    Andrey wrote:
    > I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
    > found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
    > it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
    > processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
    > runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
    > this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
    > parameters?

    Go into the power options for your system and set the CPU speed to
    "Adaptive" under both battery and AC.

    It appears that your Speedstep enabled CPU is not throttling down and is
    running at full speed constantly, hence the fan will run at full speed as
    well.

    I can't hear the fan at all on my T41p when I'm just surfing or emailing.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Andrey

    Woody Guest

    I agree. I haven't heard the fan yet on my new R51. You may also want to
    download and update the drivers. I have had the R51 for a week and it found
    about 15 down-level drivers. I used software installer to update them....

    Woody, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Andrey

    John Doue Guest

    Woody wrote:
    > I agree. I haven't heard the fan yet on my new R51. You may also want to
    > download and update the drivers. I have had the R51 for a week and it found
    > about 15 down-level drivers. I used software installer to update them....
    >

    > "JHEM" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Andrey wrote:
    >>
    >>>I cannot compare at the moment my Thinkpad R51 with another one but I
    >>>found its fan noise is more then I expected. When I start cold laptop
    >>>it works quite silently for a few minutes and then I can hear the
    >>>processor fan noise. It is normal when resource-intensive application
    >>>runs, but the fan does't reduce rotation even the laptop is idle. Is
    >>>this normal or there is any solution to control and monitor related
    >>>parameters?

    >>Go into the power options for your system and set the CPU speed to
    >>"Adaptive" under both battery and AC.
    >>
    >>It appears that your Speedstep enabled CPU is not throttling down and is
    >>running at full speed constantly, hence the fan will run at full speed as
    >>well.
    >>
    >>I can't hear the fan at all on my T41p when I'm just surfing or emailing.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>James

    It is fairly silent when running at its lowest speed and you won't hear
    it unless you live in a very quiet environment. You will definitely hear
    it when you will be running demanding applications and when the laptop
    is in a fairly hot environment (living in Florida ...). I must say I
    have never been bothered by its noise although ideally, a total absence
    of fan noise would be high on my wish list for laptops.

    The advice to check your power profile is to the point and will make a
    big difference.

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Andrey

    Andrey Guest

    What temperature range is supposed to be normal and critical for the
    CPU in this case? If the CPU is speed step, how many speps it has and
    what permissible temperature is for each stpep? Thanks in advance.

    Andrey, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Andrey

    Guest

    >From my experience the original fan in the R51 is emitting quite some
    high frequencies and does not cool the GPU, as other and bigger fan
    models
    in more expensive T4x models.

    To reduce fan noise you could try following things
    - set the power management to lowest values for cpu
    - downclock the GPU (omega drivers, ati tool)
    - fit the fan from the T41P "Long Fan M10" (!! voids the garanties)
    see
    http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/Thinkpad_R50_Periodic_Fan_Noise.html
    http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/R51_with_LongFanM10/R51_1829_with_LongFanM10.html

    there where also others posting similar things in other Thinkpad
    related forums,
    e.g. google for "spirifier".

    hope this helps

    , Aug 15, 2005