    anybody else enlighten me on this issue?

    Thanks,
    Rudy

    R. P., Jan 28, 2008

  2. R. P.

    Guest

    Hi R.P,

    The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
    paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
    surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
    corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.best-laptop-guide.com

    , Jan 29, 2008

  3. R. P.

    R. P. Guest

    <> wrote:
    > The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
    > paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
    > surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
    > corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

    Well, according to the data sheets, both models come with shock
    proofing:
    This is what is written about the R61:
    "shock-mounted hard drive, magnesium-alloy roll cage, new top-cover roll
    cage"
    and this about T61:
    "new top-cover roll cage, shock-mounted hard drive" -- no word about
    magnesium alloy.
    So I don't really see any major advantage here for T61 at all. I figure
    it must be something else, maybe just marketing hype to the "suits"?

    Rudy

    R. P., Jan 29, 2008
  4. On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:21:30 -0800, "R. P." <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote:
    >> The T61 is considered a 'business class' notebook. So I think you are
    >> paying for stuff like hard disk resilience, shork absorber capability
    >> surrounding the hard disk, etc. And usually they sell T61s to the
    >> corporate crowd, so that could be another reason.

    >Well, according to the data sheets, both models come with shock
    >proofing:
    >This is what is written about the R61:
    >"shock-mounted hard drive, magnesium-alloy roll cage, new top-cover roll
    >cage"
    >and this about T61:
    >"new top-cover roll cage, shock-mounted hard drive" -- no word about
    >magnesium alloy.
    >So I don't really see any major advantage here for T61 at all. I figure
    >it must be something else, maybe just marketing hype to the "suits"?
    >
    >Rudy

    Rudy,

    I don't know about now, but back when IBM was still selling the R's
    and T's, one difference was the length of the warranty, 3 years for
    the T models, and one year for the R models.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jan 29, 2008