Thinkpad T41 fan always on

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Olumide, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Olumide

    Olumide Guest

    Hello,

    A few weeks ago, I noticed that the cooling fan on my T41 stays on a
    lot of the time. I've had this laptop for over a year, and I've never
    experienced this problem. Folklore has it that this overactive fan
    problem can be triggered when changes are made to the Window's power
    management settings (I'm running Windows XP). What can be done to fix
    this problem? I've tried restoring the power management options to the
    default laptop/notebook settings.

    Thanks

    - Olumide

    1. Advertising

  2. Olumide

    Olumide Guest

    BTW, I'm considering upgrading the BIOS, embedded (thermos?)
    controller etc, to the latest versions but before doing so, I would
    like to check if the versions I have are the latest. How can I do
    this? (I'm quite wary about installing basic software and messing up
    the laptop, and I'd like to avoid doing so if I can.)

    Thanks.

    1. Advertising

  3. Kevin Weaver

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    "Olumide" <> wrote in message
    > BTW, I'm considering upgrading the BIOS, embedded (thermos?)
    > controller etc, to the latest versions but before doing so, I would
    > like to check if the versions I have are the latest. How can I do
    > this? (I'm quite wary about installing basic software and messing up
    > the laptop, and I'd like to avoid doing so if I can.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Checking the date of the update will tell you.
    If the laptop is 1 yr old and the newest ver is 4 months old and you never
    updated the Bios then it would be able to update.

    Read the txt notes. If the listed changes don't affect you then I would not
    update just for the sake of updating.

  4. Olumide

    Olumide Guest

    > Checking the date of the update will tell you.

    How do I check the date of the last update?

    > If the laptop is 1 yr old and the newest ver is 4 months old and you never
    > updated the Bios then it would be able to update.
    >
    > Read the txt notes. If the listed changes don't affect you then I would not
    > update just for the sake of updating.

    Where can I find the text notes, and the updates?

    Thanks.

  5. Kevin Weaver

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    "Olumide" <> wrote in message
    >> Checking the date of the update will tell you.

    > How do I check the date of the last update?
    >
    >> If the laptop is 1 yr old and the newest ver is 4 months old and you
    >> never
    >> updated the Bios then it would be able to update.
    >>
    >> Read the txt notes. If the listed changes don't affect you then I would
    >> not
    >> update just for the sake of updating.

    > Where can I find the text notes, and the updates?
    >
    > Thanks.

    On the Lenovo website. The txt file is below the file, which tells you what
    changes were made to it.

  6. T.C.

    T.C. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Olumide <>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > A few weeks ago, I noticed that the cooling fan on my T41 stays on a
    > lot of the time. I've had this laptop for over a year, and I've never
    > experienced this problem. Folklore has it that this overactive fan
    > problem can be triggered when changes are made to the Window's power
    > management settings (I'm running Windows XP). What can be done to fix
    > this problem? I've tried restoring the power management options to the
    > default laptop/notebook settings.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > - Olumide

    Sometimes the CPU isn't the culprit - the GPUs of the Thinkpads tend
    to get somewhat hot too...
    I'd recommend taking a look at TPfancontrol by troubadix (
    http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html ) or the similar
    TPfancontrol on sourceforge (
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tp4xfancontrol/ ) - both are parallel
    developments based on a freeware a couple of years ago...

    The idea is to be able to control the fan of your Thinkpad according
    to your personal configuration - as a byproduct it shows the
    temperature readings of most of the TP sensors, so you might get an
    idea what exactly is responsible for your fan continuously running...

    good luck

    T.C.