    portable that I bought.

    Thanks in advance!
    Cam
    Cam, Jul 7, 2008

  2. In article <>, Cam <> wrote:

    >Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
    >this keypad?...
    >I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
    >portable that I bought.

    Can you clarify your request a little, please: are you, perhaps, referring to
    the Fn-<key> combinations, such as Fn-PGUP for the Thinklight?

    Art
    Arthur Shapiro, Jul 7, 2008

  3. Cam

    Ernie B. Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/6njo7j
    --
    Ernie B.

    Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
    without distortion.
    Ernie B., Jul 7, 2008
  4. Cam

    Todd H. Guest

    Cam <> writes:

    > Hello,
    > Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
    > this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
    > I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
    > portable that I bought.

    Not sure what you're asking.

    If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
    key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
    iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
    gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
    puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
    switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
    mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
    adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
    one.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 7, 2008
  5. Cam

    Cam Guest

    On Jul 7, 4:59 pm, (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Cam <> writes:
    > > Hello,
    > > Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
    > > this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
    > > I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
    > > portable that I bought.

    > Not sure what you're asking.
    >
    > If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
    > key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
    > iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
    > gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
    > puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
    > switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
    > mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
    > adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
    > one.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    Hi again,
    Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
    usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
    to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
    Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
    the key function for this Thinkpad.
    Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
    Thanks!
    Cam
    Cam, Jul 8, 2008
  6. Cam

    Todd H. Guest

    Cam <> writes:

    > On Jul 7, 4:59 pm, (Todd H.) wrote:
    >> Cam <> writes:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Could someone please tell me where I could find a key description for
    >> > this keypad? I seem to have looked everywhere and just can't find it!
    >> > I need to know the fonction(s) of the special keys for this used
    >> > portable that I bought.

    >> Not sure what you're asking.
    >>
    >> If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
    >> key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
    >> iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
    >> gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
    >> puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
    >> switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
    >> mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
    >> adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
    >> one.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    > Hi again,
    > Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
    > usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
    > to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
    > Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
    > the key function for this Thinkpad.
    > Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
    > Thanks!
    > Cam

    I'm afraid that has done little to clear it up. Are you very new to
    computers perchance?

    Ctrl and Alt are keys used in combination with other keys to perform
    functions that are specific to given applications. Some
    generalizations can be made if you're running windows though. For
    instance, Alt-F will open the file pull down menu in nearly all
    Windows programs. Alt-e will open the Edit menu.

    Ctrl- key combinations also vary. A couple common ones some people
    will know are Ctrl-c Ctrl-v for copy and paste respectively. Or
    Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert for copy/paste. But these can also be
    done with the mouse so many people don't know them. Their function,
    regardless is dependent on the operating system (Windows generally)
    rather than the computer itself.

    Apologies if this info is too basic and I've totally missed a deeper
    question.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 8, 2008
  7. Cam

    Cam Guest

    On Jul 8, 1:59 pm, (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Cam <> writes:

    > >> Not sure what you're asking.

    > >> If you're asking what the blue icon'd functions do in concert with Fn
    > >> key in Windows, I'll give you what the T60's do (T41 has similar icons
    > >> iirc) lock key allows you to lock the computer, battery key on F3
    > >> gives you the power management profile selection screen, the moon icon
    > >> puts the machine to sleep mode, F5 toggles wireless radios, F7's icon
    > >> switches display modes external internal both, F8 switches from clit
    > >> mouse to trackpad, the f9 one I've never used. Fn-Home and Fn-end
    > >> adjust monitor brightness. Fn-PgUp turns on a task light if you have
    > >> one.

    > >> --
    > >> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    > > Hi again,
    > > Actually what I would like is the function of keys other than the
    > > usual numeral and alpha keys. I know about the Fn key but I would like
    > > to know about the other keys. For instance, what do you do to get the
    > > Ctl key, the Alt key etc. Surely there must be a document explaning
    > > the key function for this Thinkpad.
    > > Sorry if I was not too clear in my first message...
    > > Thanks!
    > > Cam

    > I'm afraid that has done little to clear it up. Are you very new to
    > computers perchance?
    >
    > Ctrl and Alt are keys used in combination with other keys to perform
    > functions that are specific to given applications. Some
    > generalizations can be made if you're running windows though. For
    > instance, Alt-F will open the file pull down menu in nearly all
    > Windows programs. Alt-e will open the Edit menu.
    >
    > Ctrl- key combinations also vary. A couple common ones some people
    > will know are Ctrl-c Ctrl-v for copy and paste respectively. Or
    > Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert for copy/paste. But these can also be
    > done with the mouse so many people don't know them. Their function,
    > regardless is dependent on the operating system (Windows generally)
    > rather than the computer itself.
    >
    > Apologies if this info is too basic and I've totally missed a deeper
    > question.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
    not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
    instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
    would know what each key is used for.
    Thanks!
    Cam
    Cam, Jul 9, 2008
  8. In article <>, Cam <> wrote:

    >Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
    >not there

    This is getting very interesting. You're using the term "keypad"...is this
    some sort of external USB-connected gismo (such as a 12 key numeric keypad) as
    opposed to the regular good-old plain vanilla *keyboard* on the laptop?

    Certainly the regular keyboard that is exposed when one opens the laptop for
    use has a Ctrl key and an Alt key and a Fn key. So I think we're just having
    a bit of a terminology question here...can you give a little more verbiage for
    us to better define the circumstances of your question?

    Art
    Arthur Shapiro, Jul 9, 2008
  9. Cam

    Todd H. Guest

    Cam <> writes:

    > Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
    > not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
    > instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
    > would know what each key is used for.
    > Thanks!
    > Cam

    You're gonna need to post a link to a photo of what you're talking
    about. Snap a digital pic of your keyboard and upload it to
    photobucket.com or something.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 10, 2008
  10. Cam

    Cam Guest

    On Jul 9, 11:26 pm, (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Cam <> writes:
    > > Yes I know all about the Ctl and Alt keys, but on this keypad they are
    > > not there. I wanted to know what key replaces the Ctl key for
    > > instance. If I had a description of every key on this T41 keypad, then
    > > would know what each key is used for.
    > > Thanks!
    > > Cam

    > You're gonna need to post a link to a photo of what you're talking
    > about. Snap a digital pic of your keyboard and upload it to
    > photobucket.com or something.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    You are right. I should have used the word keyboard, but in the T41
    manual which I have downloaded they are talking about the keypad I am
    pretty sure. Anyway, I was just talking about the usual keyboard when
    you open the laptop. I've looked in the T41 manual that I have
    downloaded and don't see any key description for the special keys.
    There are just about 8 or 9 keys that I would like to know what they
    are used for. I thought that there was a document out there somewhere
    in the WWW that explaned the use of these special keys on the T41
    keyboard.
    Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Cam
    Cam, Jul 10, 2008