Thinkpad T42 -- is mine a lemon?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Reynard, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Reynard

    Reynard Guest

    (I tried posting this to the ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad group but appears to
    never have made it)

    I just got myself a whiz-bang T42 (2378R4U), based in part on the "warm
    and fuzzy" reviews I read about IBM Thinkpads in general and the T42 in
    particular. I must confess it's a lot lighter than my old trusty Armada
    M700, but...

    Why is this thing so gawd-awful slow in loading my profile? Seems like
    that takes forever, as well as doing all that disk-churning while
    booting up (I haven't even had a chance to install all my apps yet, and
    am already nervous about how that'll bog things down). Oh, I presently
    have 768MB RAM installed, so I don't think it's a memory issue. Is
    there any consensus in this group about just dumping the IBM
    pre-installed image with all its bells 'n whistles, and doing a clean
    XPP install? Does anyone have a web-page on the subject?

    Perhaps more irritating is the video quality--this screen has the bluest
    tint of any I've ever seen. Is this normal, or do I have a lemon? The
    blue tint in supposedly "white" areas makes text difficult to read
    because of the drop-off in contrast, unlike the color saturation on the
    Armada which results in a parchment-white color which is real easy on
    the eyes.

    I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible improvements, since I'm
    already contemplating putting this one out to pasture on eBay.

    TIA.

    Reynard

    Reynard, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Reynard

    John Doue Guest

    Reynard wrote:

    > (I tried posting this to the ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad group but appears to
    > never have made it)
    >
    > I just got myself a whiz-bang T42 (2378R4U), based in part on the "warm
    > and fuzzy" reviews I read about IBM Thinkpads in general and the T42 in
    > particular. I must confess it's a lot lighter than my old trusty Armada
    > M700, but...
    >
    > Why is this thing so gawd-awful slow in loading my profile? Seems like
    > that takes forever, as well as doing all that disk-churning while
    > booting up (I haven't even had a chance to install all my apps yet, and
    > am already nervous about how that'll bog things down). Oh, I presently
    > have 768MB RAM installed, so I don't think it's a memory issue. Is
    > there any consensus in this group about just dumping the IBM
    > pre-installed image with all its bells 'n whistles, and doing a clean
    > XPP install? Does anyone have a web-page on the subject?
    >
    > Perhaps more irritating is the video quality--this screen has the bluest
    > tint of any I've ever seen. Is this normal, or do I have a lemon? The
    > blue tint in supposedly "white" areas makes text difficult to read
    > because of the drop-off in contrast, unlike the color saturation on the
    > Armada which results in a parchment-white color which is real easy on
    > the eyes.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible improvements, since I'm
    > already contemplating putting this one out to pasture on eBay.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Reynard

    You do not mention any attempts to call IBM (I am assuming your machine
    in under warranty, no ?). You first need to determine whether there is
    something wrong with the hardware or with the OS. From what you are
    saying, I would first lean towards a faulty installation. Although I
    support the idea of dumping a good part of the preloeaded image, I would
    only do a clean XP install if I have a good reason to restart from
    scratch. If for some reason you do not want to call IBM, reinstall from
    the IBM image after checking the Bios settings are what they should be.
    And let us know then where you stand.

    Good luck

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Reynard

    Chip Orange Guest

    Make sure you run the IBM update connector to bring all your software
    components, including BIOS and embedded controller, up-to-date. This could
    just fix the speed issue.

    I would not dump the IBM image, but that's up to you. I found nothing they
    did to really slow down the pc, I'd say it's more likely to be the HD, which
    in the light-weight laptops, tends to be slow (I think 4200 rpm). You want
    faster you usually have to carry around more, although I don't know why.

    The only service I feel safe in recommending that you turn off is the XP
    file indexing service, since no one really uses it, and it means that your
    file searches might be a little slower at worst case.

    What software have you added of your own (especially anti-virus)? Some of
    that can start a complete scan at bootup, and that can make booting up
    rather slow.

    hth,

    Chip

    Chip Orange, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Reynard

    Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:38:55 GMT, Reynard wrote:

    >there any consensus in this group about just dumping the IBM
    >pre-installed image with all its bells 'n whistles, and doing a clean
    >XPP install? Does anyone have a web-page on the subject?

    Check out this one, it is a very comprehensive and detailed
    description on how to do a fresh install of XP on a Thinkpad
    and how to make sure you have the latest IBM drivers.

    http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_Install/index.htm

    Lars
    Stockholm

    , Mar 12, 2005
  5. In "Thinkpad T42 -- is mine a lemon?", Reynard <> wrote:

    >Why is this thing so gawd-awful slow in loading my profile? Seems like
    >that takes forever, as well as doing all that disk-churning while
    >booting up (I haven't even had a chance to install all my apps yet, and
    >am already nervous about how that'll bog things down).

    A profile can be slow to load because the system's trying to re-establish a
    nonexistent network connection (check you don't have a roaming profile set, for
    example) or if you have placed any folders containing a lot of data (eg. images)
    directly on your desktop. (Shortcuts are ok, but not the actual data.) There may
    also be some bug that's worth checking Microsoft's Knowledge Base or IBM's
    support website for. I don't think the problem is with the hardware, though.

    >Perhaps more irritating is the video quality--this screen has the bluest
    >tint of any I've ever seen. Is this normal, or do I have a lemon? [...]

    My Thinkpad A21p also has a rather bluish tint. I wasn't aware of it at first,
    and only noticed it when I happened to compare scans of a couple of my kids'
    drawings side-by-side with the originals. People made a lot of fuss at one time
    about dud pixels (which Thinkpads didn't suffer from too much), but I've never
    seen any comments about poor colour rendition, so it's hard to know how
    prevalent this condition might or might not be. Unlike good LCD monitors,
    Thinkpads don't seem to have a simple display colour temperature adjustment, but
    it is quite possible to achieve a neutral display via desktop "Properties"/
    "Settings"/ "Advanced", even if Ati drivers have (IMHO) a very clunky way of
    adjusting the colour balance.

    R. J. Sutherland, Mar 15, 2005