    John Perry

    http://www.redoak.co.uk
    http://www.eze-buy.co.uk

    John Perry, Apr 8, 2006

  2. You could never do that with a ThinkPad.

    Bruce Markowitz, Apr 8, 2006

  3. John Perry

    JHEM Guest

    "Bruce Markowitz" <> wrote in message
    > You could never do that with a ThinkPad.

    Actually Bruce, that's the correct way to remove an unknown POP on any of
    the recent Thinkpad models, it's even outlined in the HMMs.

    Just yank the CMOS battery and the POP will be gone.

    Of course, this has no effect on a Supervisor or Hard Drive Password.

    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com

    JHEM, Apr 8, 2006
  4. John Perry

    JHEM Guest

    Hello John,

    "John Perry" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true that the T43 range has enhanced security over the power on
    > password?

    No, except that if you have the Fingerprint Reader it can be used in lieu of
    manually entering a PW.

    > Just wondered if the main battery and CMOS battery can be removed to
    > drain the power to reset the power on password. If so, does anyone
    > know where the CMOS battery is?

    Sure
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52603

    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com

    JHEM, Apr 8, 2006
  5. John Perry

    Larry Guest

    Traditionally with ThinkPads:

    1. The BIOS password can be reset with the CMOS.
    2. The Supervisor password cannot.
    3. The HD password cannot.

    IBM did not offer reset services. Not sure about Lenovo. IBM wanted you to
    buy a new System Board or HD, whichever it was.

    -Larry

    Larry, Apr 8, 2006
  6. John Perry

    John Perry Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:44:09 GMT, "JHEM"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Markowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> You could never do that with a ThinkPad.

    >Actually Bruce, that's the correct way to remove an unknown POP on any of
    >the recent Thinkpad models, it's even outlined in the HMMs.
    >
    >Just yank the CMOS battery and the POP will be gone.
    >
    >Of course, this has no effect on a Supervisor or Hard Drive Password.

    I am really confused on these passwords. On my personal T42 Thinkpad
    I have a Power On and Hard Drive password set, and I now believe it is
    not secure enough. However, I am thinking of adding a Supervisor
    password. What extra security would that give me? I am assuming it
    would prevent someone adding a new HDD to it if it was stolen and get
    a working machine.

    Second question on thee passwords. If I just had a supervisor
    password, would I be prompted for it in the normal boot cycle if I had
    no Power On Password and no Hard Drive password.

    Last, if you know of any document on the net that clearly explains the
    effect of these passwords, I'd appreciate it as the IBM/Lenovo
    documentation is unclear.

    Thanks all for comments
    --
    John Perry

    http://www.redoak.co.uk
    http://www.eze-buy.co.uk

    John Perry, Apr 9, 2006
  7. John Perry

    Lawrence Guest

    John Perry wrote:

    > I am really confused on these passwords. On my personal T42 Thinkpad
    > I have a Power On and Hard Drive password set, and I now believe it is
    > not secure enough. However, I am thinking of adding a Supervisor
    > password. What extra security would that give me? I am assuming it
    > would prevent someone adding a new HDD to it if it was stolen and get
    > a working machine.

    Just a note here, the supervisor password can be pulled out of the eprom it is
    stored in so a person could put a new HDD in and have a fully working system.
    The method to do it is not something that the average person would do but it
    IS possible to do it. I have done it numerous times for friends who have had
    their kids "trash" their system on them "by accident" as the kids say or for
    folks who can prove to me that the system is really theirs and not a hot item.
    That being said, setting the supervisor password WILL prevent a very large
    majority of people from being able to use the laptop if they were to steal it
    since they would either not know how to get the password out of the eprom or
    it would be too hard for them to do the process themselves.

    Cheers,
    Lawrence

    Lawrence, Apr 9, 2006
  8. John Perry

    John Perry Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:48:06 -0400, Lawrence <>
    wrote:

    >John Perry wrote:
    >
    >> I am really confused on these passwords. On my personal T42 Thinkpad
    >> I have a Power On and Hard Drive password set, and I now believe it is
    >> not secure enough. However, I am thinking of adding a Supervisor
    >> password. What extra security would that give me? I am assuming it
    >> would prevent someone adding a new HDD to it if it was stolen and get
    >> a working machine.

    >Just a note here, the supervisor password can be pulled out of the eprom it is
    >stored in so a person could put a new HDD in and have a fully working system.
    >The method to do it is not something that the average person would do but it
    >IS possible to do it. I have done it numerous times for friends who have had
    >their kids "trash" their system on them "by accident" as the kids say or for
    >folks who can prove to me that the system is really theirs and not a hot item.
    >That being said, setting the supervisor password WILL prevent a very large
    >majority of people from being able to use the laptop if they were to steal it
    >since they would either not know how to get the password out of the eprom or
    >it would be too hard for them to do the process themselves.

    Lawrence thanks for that. But can I explore in a little more detail.
    I have a Power On and Hard Drive password set on my T42, so I get
    prompted once for it.

    If I do not add a supervisor password and my m/c gets stolen then
    removal of the Power On password is very easy, so someone could remove
    the Power On password, fit a new hard drive and they easily get a
    working system.

    Now, If I add supervisor password, the same as the other 2, then my
    understanding is no extra security except that if machine is stolen,
    the Power On Password could still be removed, a new hard drive could
    be fitted, but the thief could not change the BIOS. So as long as the
    thief doesn't attempt to change the BIOS, there is not too much impact
    to the thief and he could use the machine.

    But for me, with the 3 passwords set the same, would there be any
    disadvantages? I'm asking this as I am really nervous about messing
    the machine up.
    --
    John Perry

    http://www.redoak.co.uk
    http://www.eze-buy.co.uk

    John Perry, Apr 9, 2006
  9. John Perry

    JHEM Guest

    "John Perry" <> wrote in message

    > If I do not add a supervisor password and my m/c gets stolen then
    > removal of the Power On password is very easy, so someone could remove
    > the Power On password, fit a new hard drive and they easily get a
    > working system.

    Correct.

    > Now, If I add supervisor password, the same as the other 2, then my
    > understanding is no extra security except that if machine is stolen,
    > the Power On Password could still be removed, a new hard drive could
    > be fitted, but the thief could not change the BIOS. So as long as the
    > thief doesn't attempt to change the BIOS, there is not too much impact
    > to the thief and he could use the machine.

    No, changing the HD for another will activate the Supervisor Password. Ergo,
    the thief has a nice doorstop short of finding someone to read the EEPROM as
    Lawrence outlined.

    It won't help you get your laptop back if it's stolen, but you can take some
    small measure of comfort from the fact that it's now worthless other than as
    a parts machine.

    > But for me, with the 3 passwords set the same, would there be any
    > disadvantages? I'm asking this as I am really nervous about messing
    > the machine up.

    No, there's no real downside here John. You'll never be prompted for the SP
    unless you need to enter the BIOS.

    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com

    JHEM, Apr 10, 2006
  10. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 23:10:08 +0100, John Perry <>
    wrote:

    > If I do not add a supervisor password and my m/c gets stolen then
    > removal of the Power On password is very easy, so someone could remove
    > the Power On password, fit a new hard drive and they easily get a
    > working system.

    So what? Once the computer is stolen then the very best you can hope for
    is that your data will be kept obscure. No one will be returning your
    machine when it is discovered that it is unusable or unsaleable.

    > But for me, with the 3 passwords set the same, would there be any
    > disadvantages? I'm asking this as I am really nervous about messing
    > the machine up.

    Then just don't do it. It may make life more difficult for the thief but
    it really won't help you in any way if it's just protection in the event
    of theft that you seek.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 11, 2006