Thinkpad X20 repair experience

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rupa Schomaker, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. My X20 finally stopped charging the battery and it would not power off
    the power brick. Simple fix, get a new power brick. However, while I
    was finding the power brick part number I realized that most parts on
    the X20 could be ordered online. Ever since my kid knocked my X20 off
    the dining room table it had the following problems:

    1) upper keyboard bezel had nearly all mount points (where screws scew
    in) broken. This caused the entire laptop to flex in unnatural
    ways and also left the keyboard popping up in places.

    2) The PCCard carrier got a piece of plastic stuck down by the pins
    (fallout from 1) and the pins were bent. I was able to straighten
    out the pens with a steady hand and small flat screw driver, but
    the card always would feel odd going in and out.

    3) The LCD display hinges were quite loose. Positioning the display
    was always an exercise in pushing/pulling it too far and hoping it
    would "flop" to the right location.

    All the parts needed to fix the above problems are purchasable
    directly from IBM. There is also a good parts list with diagrams
    available on IBM's support website.

    Armed with the parts list I ordered a new upper keyboard bezel, lower
    laptop case (just in case), new PCCard carrier, new fan (it was getting
    a bit noisy), and new hinges. All the parts arrived 3 days later.
    Total cost? Under $200.

    I then purchased a set of "small" electronic screw drivers at radio
    shack and got to work taking the laptop apart.

    It was all pretty straight forward and easy except for the LCD display
    hinges. IBM's web site shows how to remove the LCD display from the
    laptop but not how to remove the hinges from the display. There are
    three hidden screws that must be removed (little plastic covers can be
    popped off and then re-attached later).

    Took about 2hrs to do the work. I ended up with one missing screw, but
    was able to remove a screw from the old lower laptop case and use that
    in the fan assembly.

    End result? A laptop that looks and feels practically brand new. The
    original (20G) HD is starting to be quite noisy. I'm thinking of
    replacing that as well. Unfortunately some sites say it should be a
    9mm drive but most replacements are 9.5mm. There is NO clearance
    around the current drive, so I probably need to be exact. To make
    matters worse, some sites list the IBM drives that are for this laptop
    as 9mm and some as 9.5mm... Wonder which it is... <shrug> The
    toshiba drives actually look pretty affordable. Would prefer 5400RPM
    (a bit faster than what I have now, don't think I want the xtra heat
    from a 7200 model).

    --
    -rupa

    Rupa Schomaker, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Rupa Schomaker

    George Mills Guest

    Thanks for sharing that info.

    Try that with an emachines laptop.

    George Mills, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Rupa Schomaker

    George Mills, Sep 3, 2003
  4. On 2 Sep 2003 17:45:07 -0500, Rupa Schomaker <>
    wrote:
    >End result? A laptop that looks and feels practically brand new. The
    >original (20G) HD is starting to be quite noisy. I'm thinking of
    >replacing that as well. Unfortunately some sites say it should be a
    >9mm drive but most replacements are 9.5mm. There is NO clearance
    >around the current drive, so I probably need to be exact. To make
    >matters worse, some sites list the IBM drives that are for this laptop
    >as 9mm and some as 9.5mm... Wonder which it is... <shrug> The
    >toshiba drives actually look pretty affordable. Would prefer 5400RPM
    >(a bit faster than what I have now, don't think I want the xtra heat
    >from a 7200 model).

    The X-series use 9.5mm drives. The only other thin size is 8.45mm,
    and I think only Sony and Fujitsu ever used those.
    Emanuel
    --
    Sony VAIO 505 info - http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/sony505.html

    Emanuel Brown, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Rupa Schomaker

    Guest

    Michigan Brick Repair and Michigan Brickwork Company

    Intra Masonry has been the leader in providing Brick Repair and Brick Replacement Services Southeastern Michigan. Intra Masonry can repair your brick damage or provide you with Custom Brick Michigan services.
    http://www.intramasonry.com/

    , Jul 11, 2012
  6. Rupa Schomaker

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Re: Michigan Brick Repair and Michigan Brickwork Company

    On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:52:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
    > Intra Masonry has been the leader in providing Brick Repair and Brick Replacement Services Southeastern Michigan. Intra Masonry can repair your brick damage or provide you with Custom Brick Michigan services.
    > http://www.intramasonry.com/

    You sir...are a moron.

    Bob_Villa, Jul 11, 2012
  7. Re: Michigan Brick Repair and Michigan Brickwork Company

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:05:48 +0100, Bob_Villa <> wrote:

    > On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:52:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
    >> Intra Masonry has been the leader in providing Brick Repair and Brick
    >> Replacement Services Southeastern Michigan. Intra Masonry can repair
    >> your brick damage or provide you with Custom Brick Michigan services.
    >> http://www.intramasonry.com/

    > You sir...are a moron.

    What if you bricked your laptop? could they help?
    --
    [dash dash space newline 4line sig]

    Albi CNU

    Harry Vaderchi, Jul 12, 2012