Thinkpad X21. Battery ok, thinkpad does not power on

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by kemp@physik.uni-erlangen.de, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. -erlangen.de

    -erlangen.de Guest

    Hello,

    I have a problem with my Thinkpad X21. I have two batteries, which both
    deliver (as soon as the system is running) approx 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of
    operation time, so the batteries are ok. But something strange
    happened to me. Since a certain date it is not possible to turn the x21
    on if only the battery is inserted (no AC power). Only a few minutes
    after charging the battery it can be powered on from battery. As soon
    as it is running (when pluggin AC and Battery it can be turned on), the
    battery is working fine and the system can be disconnected from AC (and
    send to sleep mode). The indicator work for low battery charges, too.
    However, for a well charged battery the over-estimation of the runtime
    was getting higher (the indicator tells hundred hours of runtime
    directly after charging....).

    Since the problem appeared on both batteries the same day (one was not
    used at all at that time) i have the theory that there is a voltage
    threshold which the battery control electronics in the thinkpad uses to
    determine the state an that this circuit was either damaged or
    miscalibrated by some software problem. Is there a way to readjust this
    circuit?

    best regards,
    Alexander Kemp

    -erlangen.de, Sep 12, 2006