    Thanks for any hints!
    --
    Moritz Reiter
    Moritz Reiter, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Moritz Reiter

    Andy Cuffe Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:36:07 +0100, Moritz Reiter
    <> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >I'm planning to buy a new and bigger battery for my Thinkpad X60s. Do
    >you generally recommend to buy only original Lenovo batteries or can
    >third party products be just as good?
    >Are there other things I should consider buying then the maximum
    >electric charge (e.g. 5200 mAh), the warranty and that the battery is
    >unused?
    >
    >Thanks for any hints!

    It's hit or miss. I bought a generic battery for my A22, and it was
    still working very well after several years of constant use with no
    special care. I'd say it aged better than most of the original IBM
    A2X batteries I've seen.

    On the other hand, I've seen generic batteries that wouldn't charge
    fully after only a few cycles.
    Andy Cuffe

    Andy Cuffe, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Moritz Reiter

    John Doue Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:

    >>> It's hit or miss. I bought a generic battery for my A22, and it was
    >>> still working very well after several years of constant use with no
    >>> special care. I'd say it aged better than most of the original IBM
    >>> A2X batteries I've seen.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, I've seen generic batteries that wouldn't charge
    >>> fully after only a few cycles.
    >>> Andy Cuffe

    >> Your best bet with generics in my experience is to choose your seller
    >> with care -- I've bought generics from sellers on eBay with top feedback
    >> scores that performed as well or better than OEM batteries.

    > Were the eBay sellers for these good batteries in Hong Kong/China? Have you
    > got any recommended sellers? Cheers.
    >
    > ss.

    Capacity is just one side of the coin. Here are a few thoughts after I
    bought over time 3 batteries (1 standard size, 1 higher capacity from
    one vendor, 1 standard from another vendor) for my R51.

    1/ fit and finish. None of the 3 batteries I bought fit as nicely as the
    original. To a variable degree, some force needs to be exerted to insert
    them, which means removing them also requires some force and may be a
    soft tools to help.

    2/ capacity. All three of them meet expectations

    3/ Compatibility. 2 out of 3 (granted, from the same origin), cause the
    charge indicator to turn to blinking orange after reaching full charge
    and remaining under power adaptor active for some time. No adverse
    consequence that I could detect. So, probably means the software
    limiting the charge between user adjustable values, a great feature of
    power management on TP, most probably does not work as it should.

    But, again, no adverse consequences that I could detect, other than a
    blinking orange charge led. Rebooting clears it ... until it reappears
    after some time at full charge.

    At the end of the day, one vendor out of two sold me a fully fonctional
    battery, keeping in mind fit and finish was in both cases significantly
    under par, but without adverse consequences.

    Would take some time to research who was who, but would do it if
    someone's interested.

    John Doue
    John Doue, Dec 24, 2008