    just hiding the problem. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Doug

    Doug_M, Nov 26, 2010

  2. Doug_M

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Bill <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Doug_M <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1. Everytime I start up I get the
    > > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > > time it was used". Well of course it was shut down properly. I get
    > > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > > key on the keyboard. I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped. I know I can turn
    > > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > > just hiding the problem. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Doug

    > SOmething got corrupted. Some kinds of corruption can be cured fairly
    > easily, others take more sleuthing.
    >
    > Been a while since I've used pre-OS X. However, you might try:
    >
    > -Rebuild desktop. This can clear up some kinds of errors.
    >
    > -Reset PRAM.
    >
    > Both of these require starting up with some key combination. See the
    > HELP for details.
    >
    > See also the HELP for troubleshooting, see what advice you get.

    Try turning off extensions or ones that you can get by without.
    There is a standard set that came with the OS, that might do the
    trick and then you can turn on others you have and see if the
    trouble comes back.

    The other thing is this: check the disk with First Aid and also,
    very good for the integrity of your filing system, Disk Warrior.

    If you are running SCSI, there can be problems with ID of the
    devices, good and correct termination of the chains and so on...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 27, 2010

  3. Doug_M

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Doug_M <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1. Everytime I start up I get the
    > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > time it was used". Well of course it was shut down properly. I get
    > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > key on the keyboard. I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped. I know I can turn
    > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > just hiding the problem. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug

    There is a file (certainly hidden and whose name I've forgotten) at the
    root of the filesystem that triggers this warning. DiskWarrior should
    clear up the problem.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Nov 27, 2010
  4. isw <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Doug_M <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1. Everytime I start up I get the
    > > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > > time it was used". Well of course it was shut down properly. I get
    > > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > > key on the keyboard. I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped. I know I can turn
    > > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > > just hiding the problem. Any ideas?

    > You might try running Checkdisk (or whatever it's called -- it's been a
    > while since I needed to run it...)
    >
    > Isaac

    Disk First Aid.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 27, 2010
  5. Doug_M

    Doug_M Guest

    On Nov 26, 1:38 pm, Doug_M <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1.  Everytime I start up I get the
    > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > time it was used".  Well of course it was shut down properly.  I get
    > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > key on the keyboard.  I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped.  I know I can turn
    > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > just hiding the problem.  Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using TechTool Pro 2 which
    found problems with the volume structure. I didn't have any blank
    cd's lying around, only dvd's but I did have a scsi zip 250 drive
    lying around. I bought it new (and cheap) a few years back and tucked
    it away. So I put System 7.6.1 and TechTool Pro on that and was able
    to boot from it. Problem solved.

    Thanks again,
    Doug

    Doug_M, Nov 27, 2010
  6. Doug_M

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Doug_M <> wrote:

    > On Nov 26, 1:38 pm, Doug_M <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1.  Everytime I start up I get the
    > > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > > time it was used".  Well of course it was shut down properly.  I get
    > > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > > key on the keyboard.  I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped.  I know I can turn
    > > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > > just hiding the problem.  Any ideas?

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using TechTool Pro 2 which
    > found problems with the volume structure. I didn't have any blank
    > cd's lying around, only dvd's but I did have a scsi zip 250 drive
    > lying around. I bought it new (and cheap) a few years back and tucked
    > it away. So I put System 7.6.1 and TechTool Pro on that and was able
    > to boot from it. Problem solved.

    Well, I'd say fixed, but not necessarily solved unless you know what
    caused the problem in the first place and have taken steps to prevent
    it's happening again.

    Since this is a very old machine, how old is the boot hard drive? If
    over 5 years, it is quite possible read/write errors are causing the
    problem with the disk structure, and hence the message. Make LOTS of
    backups. Personally, I wouldn't trust a Zip drive for anything more than
    an extra temporary backup -- certainly better than nothing, but not
    considered durable.

    Fred Moore, Nov 28, 2010
  7. In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Doug_M <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 26, 1:38 pm, Doug_M <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I've got an 8500 running 7.6.1.  Everytime I start up I get the
    > > > warning "This computer may not have been shut down properly the last
    > > > time it was used".  Well of course it was shut down properly.  I get
    > > > the error whether I shut down from the menu or by pressing the power
    > > > key on the keyboard.  I thought the problem might be a bad pram
    > > > battery so I replaced that but it hasn't helped.  I know I can turn
    > > > the error off in the General Controls control panel, but to me that is
    > > > just hiding the problem.  Any ideas?

    > > Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using TechTool Pro 2 which
    > > found problems with the volume structure. I didn't have any blank
    > > cd's lying around, only dvd's but I did have a scsi zip 250 drive
    > > lying around. I bought it new (and cheap) a few years back and tucked
    > > it away. So I put System 7.6.1 and TechTool Pro on that and was able
    > > to boot from it. Problem solved.

    > Well, I'd say fixed, but not necessarily solved unless you know what
    > caused the problem in the first place and have taken steps to prevent
    > it's happening again.
    >
    > Since this is a very old machine, how old is the boot hard drive? If
    > over 5 years, it is quite possible read/write errors are causing the
    > problem with the disk structure, and hence the message. Make LOTS of
    > backups. Personally, I wouldn't trust a Zip drive for anything more than
    > an extra temporary backup -- certainly better than nothing, but not
    > considered durable.

    Some PowerPC computers would cut the power too soon on shutdown; not
    giving some types of hard disks enough time to flush their cache. My
    memory is fuzzy but I think it went something like this - If the disk
    spins for ~4 seconds after the screen blanks, it's OK. If the disk
    stops and the screen blanks at the same time, it is prone to the bug.
    --
    I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 29, 2010