Thunderbird 1.1Ghz crashes

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Chase, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Chase

    Chase Guest

    Hello,

    I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
    been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
    crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
    at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
    I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
    the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
    everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.

    Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
    beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
    b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
    everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
    curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
    standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
    but until then any ideas???

    Abit kt7-raid
    Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
    2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
    nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
    creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
    40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
    80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

    Chase, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Chase

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
    > been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
    > crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
    > at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
    > I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
    > the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
    > everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
    >
    > Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
    > beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
    > b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
    > everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
    > curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
    > standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
    > but until then any ideas???
    >
    > Abit kt7-raid
    > Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
    > 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
    > nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
    > creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
    > 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
    > 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

    This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
    board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
    and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
    you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

    Wes Newell, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Chase

    Chase Guest

    Wes Newell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
    > > been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
    > > crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
    > > at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
    > > I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
    > > the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
    > > everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
    > >
    > > Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
    > > beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
    > > b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
    > > everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
    > > curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
    > > standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
    > > but until then any ideas???
    > >
    > > Abit kt7-raid
    > > Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
    > > 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
    > > nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
    > > creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
    > > 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
    > > 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

    > This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
    > board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
    > and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
    > you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

    Yes!! that is what I thought. I thought it very suspicious that a cap
    right next to the memory was leaky but then the problem went away. You
    are probably right, then. Thank you for your help...it just cemented
    in my mind that that is most likely the problem. I will probably not
    fix it, because, like you said, it isn't worth it but its nice to know
    whats wrong with it. Thank you once again

    Chase

    Chase, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Chase

    Chase Guest

    (Chase) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Wes Newell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, Chase wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I am experiencing frequent crashes with my system. I have not yet
    > > > been able to find the problem. At first it was just a few random
    > > > crashes in graphics intensive eviroments, but now it is all the time
    > > > at random times. I ran memtest on the memory, didn't find anything.
    > > > I also used prime95 (?) to test the cpu...both came out fine. Still
    > > > the random crashes though. So I underclocked the memory, and reduced
    > > > everything to defaults and it hasn't changed anything.
    > > >
    > > > Before the problem started, it would randomly not post but give a long
    > > > beep. A simple reset and everything was fine. I thought that might be
    > > > b/c power wasn't getting to the vid card, but all the rails are fine
    > > > everything is just a bit over (well within 5% tolerance). Another
    > > > curious note...my vcore is at 1.83v even though its set to the
    > > > standard 1.75 ??? I will be building again from scratch pretty soon
    > > > but until then any ideas???
    > > >
    > > > Abit kt7-raid
    > > > Amd Athlon t-bird 1.1 Ghz
    > > > 2 256mb crucial 133mhz sdram cl=2
    > > > nvidia geforce gts/pro 64mb ddr
    > > > creative soundblaster x-gamer 5.1
    > > > 40Gb maxtor ulra ata100
    > > > 80Gb maxtor ultra ata100

    > > This sounds like the classic power problem caused by defective caps on the
    > > board. Inspect the caps for bulging or leaking, especially around the CPU
    > > and video card. IF that's the problem, it's not worth fixing IMO unless
    > > you can do it yourself. Of course this could be a software problem too.

    > Yes!! that is what I thought. I thought it very suspicious that a cap
    > right next to the memory was leaky but then the problem went away. You
    > are probably right, then. Thank you for your help...it just cemented
    > in my mind that that is most likely the problem. I will probably not
    > fix it, because, like you said, it isn't worth it but its nice to know
    > whats wrong with it. Thank you once again
    >
    > Chase

    Well guys...

    New information to stir the pot. Ok, I thought it was the capictor
    and so I figured that was the fix. But, I did think that the core
    voltage was a bit high for having it set down to 1.75 (it was up at
    1.85, 1.75 is default for the processor). I checked abit's site and
    they said that the bios reading will vary up to .04 volts upwards or
    downwards. Being as though I was at a .1 volt difference that worried
    me. I went back into the bios and set everything at the minimum and
    set the voltage down to 1.675 (I have a via kt133). Now I have a
    vcore of 1.76 and it actually loads into windows. I went back and
    slowly, by trial and error, set everything back to the optimized
    settings I found ages ago when I built it. Everything will go but one
    setting -- the md driving strength setting (it is the connection
    between the memory and the northbridge if I'm not mistaken). It is
    supposed to run at high but it will not go from low to high. As soon
    as I do that as soon as windows load the blue screen flashes and it
    restarts (same old, same old). Otherwise everything works great,
    although, I haven't tried a game yet. I tried prime95 again and it
    ran fine. I have yet to due another memtest.

    So...what is going on with that md driving strength setting? and why
    is my vcore so high? as well, does my power supply need replacement?

    voltages:
    (+3.3: 3.45. +5: 5.08, +12: 12.13) --as you can see just within 5%
    tolerance.

    Chase, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Chase

    rstlne Guest

    > Well guys...
    >
    > New information to stir the pot. Ok, I thought it was the capictor
    > and so I figured that was the fix. But, I did think that the core
    > voltage was a bit high for having it set down to 1.75 (it was up at
    > 1.85, 1.75 is default for the processor).

    If the cap is leaking then please dont use the board..
    With bad caps you could end up cooking the psu, cpu, or ram, or cards that
    go into the mobo ..
    Leaking caps = go get them replaced.. Any electronics repair shop should be
    willing to do this (as long as the cap values are on the board) .. and It
    might cost you 10-15$ for every one of those caps that might be faulty.

    rstlne, Nov 8, 2004