    reason to choose any one of these over the others?

    Thanks to all who respond,

    Curt.
    Curt, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Curt

    Locutus Guest

    the Abit NF7--S v2.0 is the best Barton board on the market

    Locutus, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Curt

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:19:07 +0000, Curt wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm about to build my first AMD box. I've built several Pentium boxes
    > ranging from mid level Celerons to P4 2.4 HT's. I'm going to start with the
    > Athlon XP 2800+ Barton. What I really want to know is which motherboard
    > would any of you recommend to use with the 2800+. I was thinking of going
    > with an ASUS model since I've had success when using ASUS on an Intel box.
    > What about Gigabyte, Asrock, ChainTech, Abit, Soyo or Biostar? Is there any
    > reason to choose any one of these over the others?

    On the least expensive side, ASrock K7S8XE+ Is an excellent board with
    SATA Raid and full multiplier control, if needed. About $53.

    Also any Nforce2 400 board will work fine and are fairly inexpensive.

    Nforce2 Ultra 400's are more expensive and also provide dual channel ram
    support.

    I'd stay away from any VIA chipset board except the KT600 chipset, but it
    would be my last choice.

    There's lots of choices, just need to find one that has the features you
    want with one of the chipsets above. Just make sure it supports a 200MHz
    FSB (400FSB). Most older chipsets don't.

    Wes Newell, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Curt

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:19:07 +0000, Curt wrote:

    Forgot to mention that the original nf2 chipset didn't officially support
    200MHz FSB, so make sure you get a nf2 400, or Ultra 400, which does if
    you get an nf2 chipset board.

    Wes Newell, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Thanks to Locutus and Wes for their input. I guess I should have mentioned
    that I do not intend to overclock, nor am I big time gamer. I just want a
    stable platform for the 2800+ Barton. Both of you have helped. I've not made
    a decision yet, but I'll post back when I've decided and have got everything
    up and running.

    Thanks again,

    --
    Curt.