To all modem users!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gee, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. gee

    gee Guest

    Hi!
    I have a request for modem users. I'm looking for a modem with voice
    functions which is 100% TAPI compatible - it means such a modem is able to
    play sound directly to modem (telephone line) and record sound from
    telephone line to a for example harddisk.
    To test if a modem is capable of doing such a things it is not enough to run
    "answering machine" software enclosed with modem when you bought it. There
    is a common problem with voice support and compnies that make modems says
    that everything is working without a problem when you run software that
    came with your modem. That's truth. But such a software bypasses the modem
    drivers and then it's connecting to a modem. This gives a working results,
    but I need some diffrent way. I need a modem wich is compatible with Windows
    TAPI interface. That interface enables software makers to write applications
    that use voice functions with every modem which fully supporting voice
    functions. That means that 100% TAPI-compatible modems can be used by any
    software through TAPI interface.
    My job is to write such a program - it would be something like IVR system
    (Interactive Voice Response). To do that I need such a modem for testing my
    application.
    So, I've tested several,chipper modems for example modem made on Intel's HaM
    chipset and I found that none of them worked with TAPI :(

    If somebody have a little free time - read the following instructions and
    give me a feedback about the results:

    For full sure to know if a modem is a REAL voice-modem you need to do the
    following
    1. See in Window's Device Manager if modem suports AT#CLS+? command
    2. Download a sample application from
    http://www.turbocontrol.com/downloads/demos/TapiTest.zip

    and a wave file from http://digeetal.republika.pl/tpapro/Greeting.wav
    Run a program that's inside. Next - specify a path (edit control at the
    bottom of this app) to this wave file.
    Then write a phone number - for example your own fixed-phone number. Next -
    click Dial button. when the modem will dial the number you will get a "line
    is busy" signal,but it doesn't matter. The point is - if it's all done and
    you will get a "TAPI wave file error" that means that this application
    cannot communicate with your modem through TAPI interface, so your modem
    does not support TAPI in 100%.

    PLEASE, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!
    You can write to: prodi-g(at)o2.pl or directly to this newsgroup.

    Thanks in advance!

    gee, Aug 3, 2005

  2. gee

    Bob Day Guest

    "gee" <2.pl> wrote in message news:dcqu0c$4qk$...
    > Hi!
    > I have a request for modem users.

    [ snip ]

    > If somebody have a little free time - read the following instructions and
    > give me a feedback about the results:
    >
    > For full sure to know if a modem is a REAL voice-modem you need to do the
    > following
    > 1. See in Window's Device Manager if modem suports AT#CLS+? command
    > 2. Download a sample application from
    > http://www.turbocontrol.com/downloads/demos/TapiTest.zip
    >
    > and a wave file from http://digeetal.republika.pl/tpapro/Greeting.wav
    > Run a program that's inside. Next - specify a path (edit control at the
    > bottom of this app) to this wave file.
    > Then write a phone number - for example your own fixed-phone number. Next -
    > click Dial button. when the modem will dial the number you will get a "line
    > is busy" signal,but it doesn't matter. The point is - if it's all done and
    > you will get a "TAPI wave file error" that means that this application
    > cannot communicate with your modem through TAPI interface, so your modem
    > does not support TAPI in 100%.
    >
    > PLEASE, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!

    Why?? If we go to all that effort of doing that testing
    for you, what are you willing to do for us?

    > You can write to: prodi-g(at)o2.pl

    This is a public newsgroup. It's not for private
    consultations.

    -- Bob Day

    Bob Day, Aug 4, 2005

  3. gee

    gee Guest

    Uzytkownik "Bob Day" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    > > PLEASE, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!

    > Why?? If we go to all that effort of doing that testing
    > for you, what are you willing to do for us?
    >
    > > You can write to: prodi-g(at)o2.pl

    > This is a public newsgroup. It's not for private
    > consultations.
    >
    > -- Bob Day

    It seems that you are incredible egoist!! No one is pushing you to do that!
    It is JUST A FAVOR!! Is there always like this when somebody is asking you
    to do sth you are asking him "what will you do for me"?? Come on, man!
    Newsgroups was created because some people wanted to help to the other! If
    somebody is a cooperative person, and have a little of "geek soul";) inside
    himself he will help without asking for something. And more: he will
    probably be happy of helping somebody else, that he solved somebody's
    problem!

    And now the second thing: of course that's a public group, but I expected a
    little more engament, so I decided to write if somebody made this test - let
    him send the results to my private mail, because I wanted to avoid too much
    "garbage" on this newsgroup. But if you think it's not a problem for example
    for people who use dial-up modems reading this newsgrup to download more
    posts - that's OK. Everybody can write where he think it would be better to
    write. Maybe my problem is also somebody else's problem and he also want t
    know which modem support TAPI.

    That's all. Ragards, Greg

    gee, Aug 4, 2005
  4. On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:13:39 +0200, "gee" <2.pl>
    wrote:

    >Hi!
    >I have a request for modem users. I'm looking for a modem with voice
    >functions which is 100% TAPI compatible - it means such a modem is able to
    >play sound directly to modem (telephone line) and record sound from
    >telephone line to a for example harddisk.

    <snip>

    >My job is to write such a program - it would be something like IVR system
    >(Interactive Voice Response). To do that I need such a modem for testing my
    >application.

    <snip>

    >PLEASE, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!

    If you want answering machine or IVR that actually works you need to
    forget about consumer level tapi modems and look at the Dialogic,
    Brooktrout level cards. Many products you're describing already exist
    so you're in for big competition and late on the scene. If you think
    you are going to be the first to get tapi to do all this well just by
    getting the right modem, you're wrong and in for a big waste of time
    trying.

    Curious George, Aug 9, 2005
  5. gee

    gee Guest

    User "Curious George" <> wrote
    > If you want answering machine or IVR that actually works you need to
    > forget about consumer level tapi modems and look at the Dialogic,
    > Brooktrout level cards. Many products you're describing already exist
    > so you're in for big competition and late on the scene. If you think
    > you are going to be the first to get tapi to do all this well just by
    > getting the right modem, you're wrong and in for a big waste of time
    > trying.

    I actually haven't written in details why I need to know which modems are
    TAPI compliant. I need that because it's my thesis's subject. I have to
    write a program that will be working like IVR system but operating with only
    1 client at a time. It's for educational purposes only. It won't be working
    like big industrial systems. But to to that - to write a application that
    uses TAPI I need to have a good modem first to be able to test my app if
    it's actually working. That's all.
    I found that US Robotics modems are good and most of them is TAPI compliant.
    But if someone else has a modem of other brand - please let me know - maybe
    it would be cheapper to buy.
    Thanx

    gee, Aug 10, 2005
  6. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:55:12 +0200, "gee" <2.pl>
    wrote:

    >User "Curious George" <> wrote
    >> If you want answering machine or IVR that actually works you need to
    >> forget about consumer level tapi modems and look at the Dialogic,
    >> Brooktrout level cards. Many products you're describing already exist
    >> so you're in for big competition and late on the scene. If you think
    >> you are going to be the first to get tapi to do all this well just by
    >> getting the right modem, you're wrong and in for a big waste of time
    >> trying.

    >I actually haven't written in details why I need to know which modems are
    >TAPI compliant. I need that because it's my thesis's subject. I have to
    >write a program that will be working like IVR system but operating with only
    >1 client at a time. It's for educational purposes only. It won't be working
    >like big industrial systems. But to to that - to write a application that
    >uses TAPI I need to have a good modem first to be able to test my app if
    >it's actually working. That's all.
    >I found that US Robotics modems are good and most of them is TAPI compliant.
    >But if someone else has a modem of other brand - please let me know - maybe
    >it would be cheapper to buy.
    >Thanx

    Even for small/basic use there is usually bugginess that causes
    headaches if you need to use/rely on it. If all you need is to
    demonstrate you understand TAPI that's different.

    I've had bad experiences with USR modems after firmware upgrades that
    are supposed to upgrade features (i.e. V.90 that can be upgraded to
    V.92, etc.) The Creative V.92 Serial (DE5621) works well with modest
    voice functionality and is inexpensive. I suppose the internals are
    probably good also. Creative support is poor though. As of a couple
    years ago (maybe still?) there wasn't even an 800 number to call. It
    does have problems with some (not all) scenarios with HT CPU's though.
    Modems based on the intel chip can also offer decent, basic voice
    functionality for cheap. I'm sure there are others but that's what
    I've seen work decently.

    Curious George, Aug 11, 2005