To auto negotiate or not to auto negotiate ...

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Adrian C, May 16, 2010.

  1. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    That is the question.

    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of ... my dodgy wired network chipset?

    Got a strange one here.

    My Lenovo Thinkpad R61 features an Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network chipset
    that barely connects (for 100Mbps Full Duplex) if the 'Link Speed &
    Duplex' is set at that implicitly, but leave it at 'Auto Negotiation'
    and there is no issue at that speed.

    This is completely at /opposite/ to previous NIC & Switch experience
    where Auto Negotiation is the thing that dies first, and that setting
    has to be made at the required speed to get things working!

    Latest Vista drivers, Cables check out fine, and the same occurs wether
    the laptop is attached to a switched hub or direct to another computer.

    Of course I'll leave it in 'Auto Negotiation', but it's strange? huh?

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, May 16, 2010