Toasted motherboard on Pavilion a1110n?

Discussion in 'HP' started by markseger, Nov 3, 2009.

1. markseger

markseger

The symptom is right in the middle of normal operations, the system suddenly shuts down as if there was a power failure. It might then be awhile before I could restart it as it would simply hang in the BIOS splash screen it I restarted it right away. I had been thinking it might be a flaky power supply so I replaced it with one from another system. Same thing.

I also saw this same behavior when booting a DVD! This tells me the disks weren't even involved and so could be the problem. If I touch the heat sink on the CPU it's very hot, though this isn't very scientific and I have no idea if this is normal or not. It was certainly too hot to hold my finger against it for anything more than a few msecs - but maybe I have a low heat threshold.

Could it be the CPU? Clearly I don't want to invest too much time into solving this.

The sad thing is I really liked the system when it was working and thought if I could even find a cheap replacement board/cpu for about $100 it might be a useful thing to do to get a spare working machine. Any recommendations? I think the key would be finding something that I could pop my existing memory in. The specs say the CPU has a 533MHz frontside bus so would I simply look for existing combos that have that listed? I realize memory is pretty cheap but I really don't want this to turn into a big deal either.

-mark
    markseger, Nov 3, 2009
    1. Advertising