    I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
    Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Peter

    BC Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > I have just put together a new system with the Tyan S2866 A2NRF and AMD
    > opteron. When applying power I get one long beep and two very short
    > beeps. The manual states that this is a video problem. That may be.
    > I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
    > Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Peter

    Dear Peter,

    looks like that card was getting long in the tooth back in 1998:

    http://www.dansdata.com/M3D2.htm

    Could be that it would work, though, I suppose: did you go into the
    BIOS under

    PNP/PCI configuration, first option is

    "Init Display First"

    choices on my 2865 are PCI express/PCI slot; however, mine has the
    built in ATI Rage XL graphics, and that PCI slot option activates
    that--not sure if you will have same option.

    Here is a list of graphics cards that Tyan says will work with your
    board, and the corresponding drivers:

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/video_s2866.html#s2866

    Here is a list of PCIex16 graphics cards at Newegg, starting with the
    cheapest:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...48 1069609641&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Subcategory=48

    If you are just using your board as a server, one of these for about $40
    may be helpful--might be more cost effective than trying to raise the
    1998 card from the dead.

    HTH,

    BC
    BC, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    BC wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    > > I have just put together a new system with the Tyan S2866 A2NRF and AMD
    > > opteron. When applying power I get one long beep and two very short
    > > beeps. The manual states that this is a video problem. That may be.
    > > I am temporarily using an old Diamond Monster PCI (circa 1997) card.
    > > Can this old card be the source of my problem? Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > Peter

    > Dear Peter,
    >
    > looks like that card was getting long in the tooth back in 1998:
    >
    > http://www.dansdata.com/M3D2.htm
    >
    > Could be that it would work, though, I suppose: did you go into the
    > BIOS under
    >
    > PNP/PCI configuration,

    I do not even get to the BIOS!
    Peter, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Peter

    BC Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > I do not even get to the BIOS!

    Dear Peter,

    Since you have the A2NRF model with SLI and no on board graphics, not
    the G3NR (on board, no SLI), I would guess that the Tyan designers
    assumed the board would be used with at least one, and probably two PCIe
    cards--hence not a lot of concern about supporting PCI graphics cards.

    It *could* be that if you install a PCIe graphics card and get into the
    BIOS, you might have that PCIe/PCI graphics option available--but,
    depending on what OS you are using, might be best to get a newer
    inexpensive graphics card with good driver support, etc.

    HTH,

    BC
    BC, Aug 11, 2006