Toshiba A25-s307 Questions before I buy

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by /.., Aug 12, 2003.

  1. /..

    /.. Guest

    I'm looking at the A25-s307 pretty seriously, but have a few
    reservations.

    I need to do some development, including Asp.net -- xp home kills
    this notion as it is difficult or impossible to install, yuck, IIS.
    How hard is it to upgrade XP-home to Xp-pro? or windows server 2003?
    What utilities or drivers from Toshiba do I lose? Can they be
    replaced? Is it a good IDEA to try to upgrade home-->Pro?

    Processor is an Intel P4-2.8Gig, but is that a Mobile version or the
    desktop version (bad choice, deal killer)

    Is there a lot of difference between the XGA screen and SXGA or UXGA
    or is that all marketing hype? (is the difference primarily
    resolution? 1024x768 vs. 1280x1024?)

    It is presented with a 60GB hard disk, but is this 4400rpm, 5400rpm
    or faster?

    It comes with 512MB DDR ram, but what is the system bus speed? Is
    the ram in two cards that fill, say, both available slots? Will I
    have to chunk it (in the discard bin) if I go increase total system
    ram? Who is a good and _reasonably_priced_ vendor for aftermarket
    upgrades for this laptop -- crucial? kingston? corsair? mushkin?

    Can I install a second hdd, or is it possible to replace the supplied
    drive?

    Is this a good choice in terms of brand, model, features and price?
    Which notebooks are comparable or preferred?

    thanks

    /ts

    /.., Aug 12, 2003