Toshiba recovery problems.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by pauly24, Feb 19, 2011.

  1. pauly24

    pauly24 Guest

    I have a month old toshiba A660. I of course stupidly did not create th
    recovery cd.
    Last week after installing some software I was getting the blue scree
    of death everytime it booted up.

    If i held down the 0 key when switched on it would go to the recover
    option but I didnt want to do this yet because I wanted to try and sav
    data that was on the disk.

    So i downloaded a windows recovery and put it onto a usb and boote
    that from the laptop, im not sure what happended but it made it wors
    and now I couldnt even get into the recovery mode by holding the 0 key.

    I was about to order the recovery cds from toshiba when I found on
    forum relating to my same problem to do a CHKDSK /R and then BOOTRE
    /FIXMBR from a cmd prompt.

    So I did that and it managed to boot into windows and everything i
    good.

    So I thought before I do anything i should make the recovery cd, so
    click on the recovery media creater and i get "NO HDD RECOVERY AREA!
    and if I turn on the comp holding down 0 it wont go to the recover
    partition, just straight into windows.

    But if I go into computer management (Windows 7 64bit)
    I can see my HDD is split into 3 partitions, the first one is 1.46G
    with no name or letter assigned. The second one is my C: drive and th
    third one is the HDDRECOVERY 12.47GB . When I was in the dos promt fro
    widnows recovery I could see all the files on the HDD RECOVERY so there
    some files there.

    I think this extra partition is causing the problem and im not sure ho
    it got there, possibly from running the windows recovery?

    Anyways if anyone has any ideas ill be very gratefull, thanks
    pauly24, Feb 19, 2011

  2. pauly24

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:p,
    pauly24 typed on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:33:40 -0600:
    > I have a month old toshiba A660. I of course stupidly did not create
    > the recovery cd.
    > Last week after installing some software I was getting the blue screen
    > of death everytime it booted up.
    >
    > If i held down the 0 key when switched on it would go to the recovery
    > option but I didnt want to do this yet because I wanted to try and
    > save data that was on the disk.
    >
    > So i downloaded a windows recovery and put it onto a usb and booted
    > that from the laptop, im not sure what happended but it made it worse
    > and now I couldnt even get into the recovery mode by holding the 0
    > key.
    >
    > I was about to order the recovery cds from toshiba when I found on a
    > forum relating to my same problem to do a CHKDSK /R and then BOOTREC
    > /FIXMBR from a cmd prompt.
    >
    > So I did that and it managed to boot into windows and everything is
    > good.
    >
    > So I thought before I do anything i should make the recovery cd, so I
    > click on the recovery media creater and i get "NO HDD RECOVERY AREA!"
    > and if I turn on the comp holding down 0 it wont go to the recovery
    > partition, just straight into windows.
    >
    > But if I go into computer management (Windows 7 64bit)
    > I can see my HDD is split into 3 partitions, the first one is 1.46GB
    > with no name or letter assigned. The second one is my C: drive and the
    > third one is the HDDRECOVERY 12.47GB . When I was in the dos promt
    > from widnows recovery I could see all the files on the HDD RECOVERY
    > so theres some files there.
    >
    > I think this extra partition is causing the problem and im not sure
    > how it got there, possibly from running the windows recovery?
    >
    > Anyways if anyone has any ideas ill be very gratefull, thanks.

    Oh boy! You replaced Toshiba's MBR with a Windows one. And the Windows
    one knows nothing about a recovery partition. Thus why you don't see it
    as an option anymore. I don't know, maybe Toshiba might have a utility
    to recreate their MBR once again.

    No I don't think that extra partition is causing any problems. If it is
    what I think it is, that partition is used by the drive itself. And I
    wouldn't mess around with it. Or it could be part of Toshiba's extended
    MBR code (which isn't hooked into the MBR anymore).

    The first thing I would check is under Start->Programs for the "Recovery
    Disc Creator". And I believe it should work to create the discs. Then
    use these discs to restore the computer back to a factory state.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    BillW50, Feb 20, 2011

  3. pauly24

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ijrbfl$s07$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:20:18 -0600:
    > No I don't think that extra partition is causing any problems. If it
    > is what I think it is, that partition is used by the drive itself.
    > And I wouldn't mess around with it. Or it could be part of Toshiba's
    > extended MBR code (which isn't hooked into the MBR anymore).

    One of the partition types that I thought this could be was an EFI
    partition type. I couldn't think of what it was called earlier. As it
    just came to me. ;-)

    BillW50, Feb 20, 2011