Toshiba Satellite 225CDS: forgotten boot password, any hack?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Wondering Joe, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. A Beverly Hills lady executive gave me her old seldom used (like new)
    Toshiba Satellite 225CDS but already forgot the boot password. Is
    there way to hack around the boot password?

    1. Advertising

  2. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Wondering Joe wrote:

    > A Beverly Hills lady executive gave me her old seldom used (like new)
    > Toshiba Satellite 225CDS but already forgot the boot password. Is
    > there way to hack around the boot password?

    There may be a way, but according to Toshiba support only they can do it:

    > There are three levels of passwords available on Toshiba PCs using
    > Microsoft Windows
    >
    > 1. BIOS Password (System Password, User Password) 2. Supervisor
    > Password 3. Windows Logon Password
    >
    > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords come up immediately after the
    > memory check on cold boots and resets only. The background is plain
    > matte and looks like a blank DOS screen. Once enabled, if you don't
    > have the correct password, the system will not allow the operating
    > system to boot.
    >
    > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords allow you to use the system
    > normally. The difference between them is that if the Supervisor
    > password is set, you need to enter the Supervisor password in order
    > to change system settings. Exactly which settings require the
    > Supervisor password vary by model. Also, If you know the Supervisor
    > password, you can change the BIOS password.
    >
    > The BIOS and Supervisor passwords cannot be removed/reset unless you
    > know the correct password. If you forget your BIOS or Supervisor
    > password, you will have to have the password reset by a Toshiba
    > Authorized Service Provider. It is notable that although these two
    > passwords appear the same they are enabled and disabled totally
    > differently. Also if both are enabled the supervisor password takes
    > precedence.
    >
    > The Windows password comes up after the Windows OS load. Under
    > Windows 95, 98, and Me, this password is simply used to customize the
    > environment for each logged in user. Under Windows XP, 2000, and NT,
    > this is a sceure logon, meaning that you cannot use the system
    > without a valid Windows logon. Under Windows 9x and Me, you can click
    > "Cancel" to bypass the Windows logon process and still be able to use
    > the computer (though possibly with limited capability).

    Phil

    1. Advertising

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Wondering Joe wrote:

    > A Beverly Hills lady executive gave me her old seldom used (like new)
    > Toshiba Satellite 225CDS but already forgot the boot password. Is
    > there way to hack around the boot password?

    There may be a way, but according to Toshiba support only they can do it:

    > There are three levels of passwords available on Toshiba PCs using
    > Microsoft Windows
    >
    > 1. BIOS Password (System Password, User Password) 2. Supervisor
    > Password 3. Windows Logon Password
    >
    > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords come up immediately after the
    > memory check on cold boots and resets only. The background is plain
    > matte and looks like a blank DOS screen. Once enabled, if you don't
    > have the correct password, the system will not allow the operating
    > system to boot.
    >
    > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords allow you to use the system
    > normally. The difference between them is that if the Supervisor
    > password is set, you need to enter the Supervisor password in order
    > to change system settings. Exactly which settings require the
    > Supervisor password vary by model. Also, If you know the Supervisor
    > password, you can change the BIOS password.
    >
    > The BIOS and Supervisor passwords cannot be removed/reset unless you
    > know the correct password. If you forget your BIOS or Supervisor
    > password, you will have to have the password reset by a Toshiba
    > Authorized Service Provider. It is notable that although these two
    > passwords appear the same they are enabled and disabled totally
    > differently. Also if both are enabled the supervisor password takes
    > precedence.
    >
    > The Windows password comes up after the Windows OS load. Under
    > Windows 95, 98, and Me, this password is simply used to customize the
    > environment for each logged in user. Under Windows XP, 2000, and NT,
    > this is a sceure logon, meaning that you cannot use the system
    > without a valid Windows logon. Under Windows 9x and Me, you can click
    > "Cancel" to bypass the Windows logon process and still be able to use
    > the computer (though possibly with limited capability).

    Phil

  4. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

  5. Boot password is totally different from BIOS password. I had hack
    around BIOS password in similar series of Toshiba laptop before
    because I was able boot the OS, no respecter whether MS-DOS or 95 or
    Linux. However, I can't even boot to see if OS still werks.

    Phil <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Wondering Joe wrote:
    >
    > > A Beverly Hills lady executive gave me her old seldom used (like new)
    > > Toshiba Satellite 225CDS but already forgot the boot password. Is
    > > there way to hack around the boot password?

    > There may be a way, but according to Toshiba support only they can do it:
    >
    > > There are three levels of passwords available on Toshiba PCs using
    > > Microsoft Windows
    > >
    > > 1. BIOS Password (System Password, User Password) 2. Supervisor
    > > Password 3. Windows Logon Password
    > >
    > > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords come up immediately after the
    > > memory check on cold boots and resets only. The background is plain
    > > matte and looks like a blank DOS screen. Once enabled, if you don't
    > > have the correct password, the system will not allow the operating
    > > system to boot.
    > >
    > > Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords allow you to use the system
    > > normally. The difference between them is that if the Supervisor
    > > password is set, you need to enter the Supervisor password in order
    > > to change system settings. Exactly which settings require the
    > > Supervisor password vary by model. Also, If you know the Supervisor
    > > password, you can change the BIOS password.
    > >
    > > The BIOS and Supervisor passwords cannot be removed/reset unless you
    > > know the correct password. If you forget your BIOS or Supervisor
    > > password, you will have to have the password reset by a Toshiba
    > > Authorized Service Provider. It is notable that although these two
    > > passwords appear the same they are enabled and disabled totally
    > > differently. Also if both are enabled the supervisor password takes
    > > precedence.
    > >
    > > The Windows password comes up after the Windows OS load. Under
    > > Windows 95, 98, and Me, this password is simply used to customize the
    > > environment for each logged in user. Under Windows XP, 2000, and NT,
    > > this is a sceure logon, meaning that you cannot use the system
    > > without a valid Windows logon. Under Windows 9x and Me, you can click
    > > "Cancel" to bypass the Windows logon process and still be able to use
    > > the computer (though possibly with limited capability).

    > Phil

  6. Based on the age of that system, I will give you a bit of help. If it
    was a newer system, I'd think that it might be stolen, but this is a
    Pentium 133 or something like that, not worth much now anyway.

    There are two ways to remove the password that may work on that system.
    If one way doesn't work, try the other.

    Method 1 uses a special "boot disk", only it's not a boot disk, it has
    some special code in the boot sector.

    Method 2 uses a specially made "dongle" on the parallel port with
    particular combinations of pins shorted together.

    I can't give you details on how to make either offhand, but you can
    usually buy either or both of these on E-Bay.

    Wondering Joe wrote:

    > A Beverly Hills lady executive gave me her old seldom used (like new)
    > Toshiba Satellite 225CDS but already forgot the boot password. Is
    > there way to hack around the boot password?

  7. Dixon_C

    Dixon_C Guest

    The Toshiba Satellite, Pros, Tecra and Portege notebooks requires a
    BIOS reset which is done via hardware pluged into the parallel port
    (basically pinouts). Plug it in and start the notebook and turn it
    off again. It resets the unit and starts back to normal. You can
    re-create a new password in the bios from there on. The BIOS does NOT
    reset it's password automatically as mentioned by someone previously.