toshiba satellite pro 420cdt - video garbled on boot

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Kenabi Tsuki, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Kenabi Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki Guest

    upon first boot (or even ones where i let it sit
    off for more than a second or two) the screen
    displays "à|" endlessly over the whole screen,
    after letting it warm up however, this problem
    goes away and the display is crystal clear. till
    i shut it off for more than a couple seconds,
    then it's back again.

    now, if it were the cables, logically it'd do it
    all the time.

    if it were the inverter, it'd be dark too?
    if the bios were corrupted it wouldn't even
    boot, afaik.

    the only thing i can conclude is that the
    video module has somehow gone pfft.

    any advice/knowledge out there that can
    help me?

    -Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Kenabi Tsuki

    Quaoar Guest

    Kenabi Tsuki wrote:
    > upon first boot (or even ones where i let it sit
    > off for more than a second or two) the screen
    > displays "à|" endlessly over the whole screen,
    > after letting it warm up however, this problem
    > goes away and the display is crystal clear. till
    > i shut it off for more than a couple seconds,
    > then it's back again.
    >
    > now, if it were the cables, logically it'd do it
    > all the time.
    >
    > if it were the inverter, it'd be dark too?
    > if the bios were corrupted it wouldn't even
    > boot, afaik.
    >
    > the only thing i can conclude is that the
    > video module has somehow gone pfft.
    >
    > any advice/knowledge out there that can
    > help me?
    >
    > -Tsuki

    Remove any added RAM, clean the contacts, replace, and see if that
    helps. Otherwise, given the age of the unit and the number of thermal
    cycles it has had, it might well be a loose, dirty, or corroded contact,
    cable, etc., internally.

    Quaoar, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Kenabi Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki Guest

    completely disassembled it, cleaned all the
    contacts, flexed the entire set of lcd wires
    in the harness while connected to a multi-
    meter to test resistance. nothing changed
    with any of them 0.1ohms for all wires
    with no variations.

    took external ram card out, didn't change
    anything.

    stuck a thermal trafers-pad between the
    video ram and the heatsink above it, in
    an attempt to see if maybe it was getting
    too hot (rather warm to the touch).
    other than keeping it all a littler cooler,
    nothing changed.

    had the lcd tested, it works perfectly,
    even cold.

    looks like i try and find a video module
    to replace this one, or mod the lcd into
    an external project and scrap the laptop.

    -Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki, Jun 7, 2004
  4. It sounds like a problem on the video board, could be bad memory, but it
    is DEFINITELY not in the LCD display at all, it's in the computer, and
    almost (say 85% chance) the video board or video section of the motherboard.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 8, 2004
  5. They were good machines (the best, in their day .... 1996/1997), but
    they are no better than current machines.

    However, they are plentiful, and you can buy a complete machine
    (working) for under $50.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Kenabi Tsuki

    Quaoar Guest

    Quaoar, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Kenabi Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki Guest

    well, i can get a new video module from
    http://www.impactcomputers.com/toshiba-satellite-pro-420cdt-parts.html
    along with just about anything else i need,
    so after i look into possibly modding the
    lcd into the side of my server machine's
    case via the VFC(vesa feature connector,
    256 colors@640x480, perfect for a server
    status display.) maybe i'll look into getting
    a new video module for it :)

    thanks for the confirm on my diagnosis.

    pity too, it runs pretty well for a p100.
    -Tsuki

    Kenabi Tsuki, Jun 8, 2004