Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by tsorby, Dec 3, 2011.

  1. tsorby

    tsorby Guest

    My daughter has the Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200...Well, it doesn'
    work anymore and the warranty is done., Also someone had stepped on i
    at some point as the LCD is cracked. I had hooked it up to a flat pane
    and tried to get it booted, but the blue screen is constantly poppin
    up...so I gave up on it. I need to get ahold of the same modle system
    but no HD, no CD, no RAM...in other words a barebone system, but I can
    find one that would be worth it..I don't want to end up paying the sam
    price for a new one just for the mobo and screen. Can anyone help m
    locate what I need? Thank you in advanc

    1. Advertising

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    tsorby wrote:
    > My daughter has the Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200...Well, it doesn't
    > work anymore and the warranty is done., Also someone had stepped on it
    > at some point as the LCD is cracked. I had hooked it up to a flat
    > panel and tried to get it booted, but the blue screen is constantly
    > popping up...so I gave up on it. I need to get ahold of the same
    > modle system, but no HD, no CD, no RAM...in other words a barebone
    > system, but I cant find one that would be worth it..I don't want to
    > end up paying the same price for a new one just for the mobo and
    > screen. Can anyone help me locate what I need? Thank you in advance

    I would be very curious what that blue screen error is. The third line
    down is the big key. The stuff above and below this line isn't important
    right now. And it might not be something serious to repair. I also
    checked on prices.

    WalMart (new) = $328.98
    eBay used = $210 to $260

    I haven't found any used screens yet. But generally speaking about most
    laptops, they generally run around 100 bucks. So if you can find one,
    that would be a pretty good price. And if you also need a motherboard.
    Most laptop used motherboards cost anywhere between 100 to 200 bucks
    when you can find them. So if you need both LCD and a motherboard, you
    are better off buying an used one. And just a bit more, you can have a
    brand new one.

    --
    Bill

  3. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    On 12/3/2011 8:18 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:,
    > tsorby wrote:
    >> My daughter has the Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200...Well, it doesn't
    >> work anymore and the warranty is done., Also someone had stepped on it
    >> at some point as the LCD is cracked. I had hooked it up to a flat
    >> panel and tried to get it booted, but the blue screen is constantly
    >> popping up...so I gave up on it. I need to get ahold of the same
    >> modle system, but no HD, no CD, no RAM...in other words a barebone
    >> system, but I cant find one that would be worth it..I don't want to
    >> end up paying the same price for a new one just for the mobo and
    >> screen. Can anyone help me locate what I need? Thank you in advance

    > I would be very curious what that blue screen error is. The third line
    > down is the big key. The stuff above and below this line isn't important
    > right now. And it might not be something serious to repair. I also
    > checked on prices.
    >
    > WalMart (new) = $328.98
    > eBay used = $210 to $260
    >
    > I haven't found any used screens yet. But generally speaking about most
    > laptops, they generally run around 100 bucks. So if you can find one,
    > that would be a pretty good price. And if you also need a motherboard.
    > Most laptop used motherboards cost anywhere between 100 to 200 bucks
    > when you can find them. So if you need both LCD and a motherboard, you
    > are better off buying an used one. And just a bit more, you can have a
    > brand new one.

    Looks like after-market screens are roughly $70-$90 shipped.

    If you do an ebay search for "toshiba satellite motherboard c655d," we
    get a few results. Go to the Toshiba website and verify the part number
    though.

    If you can find a used one for $200-$250, I would just get the entire
    system. LCD screens are simple to replace (might take you 30-45 minutes
    if you've never done one before), but motherboards are a major pain.
    Not difficult, but there are a LOT of screws and wire & ribbon
    connectors to keep track of.

    The BSOD error would be helpful for us to know... We might be able to
    narrow down the cause of the problem (although being stepped on, many
    things COULD have happened!). I have a laptop that outright refuses to
    work properly with the VGA-out, but when its running with just the
    onboard LCD, it runs perfect.

    Stupid question (but we have to ask!), does it give you a BSOD when you
    try booting in safe mode?

  4. dholmesi

    dholmesi

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Brigantine, New Jersey, U.S.A.
    I found a new monitor for a 15.6 " Toshiba Satellite three weeks ago at 'laptopscreen' for $55.99 plus shipping($17.52) for a total of $73.51. Sorry but this site won't let me post the whole link but you should be able to figure it out.