    Hacking the Trailing Edge! : neuter your politicians...
    www.nmpproducts.com
    ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

    steamer, Mar 8, 2008

  2. steamer

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:47d2f090$0$36393$,
    steamer typed on 08 Mar 2008 20:01:20 GMT:
    > --Have a Panasonic Toughbook 52; less than a month on and suddenly
    > the function key is working in reverse, i.e. as if it's always held
    > down! Pressing on it now results in what would normally happen were
    > it not pressed. Is there a way to toggle it back to *normal* 'normal'?

    Yes most likely there is a function key which toggles it. My old Toshiba
    2595XDVD laptops ('99 era) you have to press the Fn and one of the
    F-keys to toggle it. My Gateway MX6124 laptops ('06 era) doesn't have
    this ability.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Mar 8, 2008

  3. steamer

    Quaoar Guest

    steamer wrote:
    > --Have a Panasonic Toughbook 52; less than a month on and suddenly
    > the function key is working in reverse, i.e. as if it's always held down!
    > Pressing on it now results in what would normally happen were it not
    > pressed. Is there a way to toggle it back to *normal* 'normal'?

    What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
    key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

    Quaoar, Mar 9, 2008
  4. steamer

    steamer Guest

    Quaoar <> wrote:
    >What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
    >key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

    --Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
    *did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in the
    first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm thinking
    Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and hit the key.

    --
    "Steamboat Ed" Haas : Don't forget to spay and

    steamer, Mar 9, 2008
  5. steamer

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:47d424b4$0$36334$,
    steamer typed on 09 Mar 2008 17:56:04 GMT:
    > Quaoar <> wrote:
    >> What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
    >> key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always
    >> on/always off.

    > --Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
    > *did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in
    > the first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm
    > thinking Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and
    > hit the key.

    Oh I do that all of the time. Because I use my laptop hooked up to
    external devices like a keyboard, mouse, and monitor when I park it at
    my desk. Although you should have a LED showing the Num/Lock on, no?

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Mar 9, 2008
  6. steamer

    Quaoar Guest

    steamer wrote:
    > Quaoar <> wrote:
    >> What Bill said, but in addition, in some BIOSes, holding the function
    >> key down for an extended period toggles the Fn key to always on/always off.

    > --Thanks, gang; tried this latter trick but it didn't work. What
    > *did* work was pressing the "numloc" key. Dunno how it got pressed in the
    > first place as it's out of the way and one I'd never use. I'm thinking
    > Chairman Meow must have given the keyboard a one-over and hit the key.

    Heh! ...Chairman Meow!... I have three of these and the numlock/caplock
    get "managed".

    Quaoar, Mar 10, 2008
  7. steamer

    steamer Guest

    BillW50 <> wrote:
    >my desk. Although you should have a LED showing the Num/Lock on, no?

    --Yeah there are *5* 'idiot lights' in a row, all marked poorly and
    with black-on-black; i.e. impossible to differentiate one from the other,
    heh.

    steamer, Mar 10, 2008