Travelling Netbook - protection against unauthorised access

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by CJB, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. CJB

    CJB Guest

    What's the risk of someone hacking into my netbook or monitoring /
    capturing traffic whilst say I'm in Starbucks or McDonalds? These
    offer free wifi connections using The Cloud or whatever. These
    connections are unsecured by WPA or WEP etc. Also how can I protect
    the netbook from unauthorised access whilst online? Thank you - CJB.

    1. Advertising

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    CJB typed on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:19:11 -0700 (PDT):
    > What's the risk of someone hacking into my netbook or monitoring /
    > capturing traffic whilst say I'm in Starbucks or McDonalds? These
    > offer free wifi connections using The Cloud or whatever. These
    > connections are unsecured by WPA or WEP etc. Also how can I protect
    > the netbook from unauthorised access whilst online? Thank you - CJB.

    Well to protect your laptop from somebody looking in, use a firewall
    designed for open networks, most isn't. Although you could configure
    most normal firewalls to work blocking all unauthorized access too.

    As for somebody reading your packets on an open access... well you are
    kind of stuck there. If you use a secured website for what you want to
    do, that should be pretty safe. The other choice is to use VPN. I think
    that is what it is called. That encrypts everything even on an open
    network. Don't use it so I don't know much about it really.

    And while experts tells you that WEP and WPA are secure, well a seasoned
    hacker knows differently. As a good one can descramble your packets in
    minutes or less.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    1. Advertising

  3. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On Mar 25, 4:42 pm, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > CJB typed on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:19:11 -0700 (PDT):
    >
    > > What's the risk of someone hacking into my netbook or monitoring /
    > > capturing traffic whilst say I'm in Starbucks or McDonalds? These
    > > offer free wifi connections using The Cloud or whatever. These
    > > connections are unsecured by WPA or WEP etc. Also how can I protect
    > > the netbook from unauthorised access whilst online? Thank you - CJB.

    > Well to protect your laptop from somebody looking in, use a firewall
    > designed for open networks, most isn't. Although you could configure
    > most normal firewalls to work blocking all unauthorized access too.
    >
    > As for somebody reading your packets on an open access... well you are
    > kind of stuck there. If you use a secured website for what you want to
    > do, that should be pretty safe. The other choice is to use VPN. I think
    > that is what it is called. That encrypts everything even on an open
    > network. Don't use it so I don't know much about it really.
    >
    > And while experts tells you that WEP and WPA are secure, well a seasoned
    > hacker knows differently. As a good one can descramble your packets in
    > minutes or less.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Windows XP SP2

    Thank you for that info.. I saw the BBC Hustle Programme where someone
    hi-jacked the packets and stole someones emaol account and password.
    When the owner logged off and left, the hacker remained logged in and
    could access the email account as though it was his/hers.

    I guess the rule is never to enter passwords to connect to email,
    online banking, even Facebook etc., when travelling and using
    unsecured wifi networks, e.g. The Cloud in MacDonalds.

    Chris B..