Trying to Create a RAID 0 volume with ABIT/KU8 motherboard

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Stan Hilliard, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. I have a new homebuilt PC with an ABIT KU8 motherboard, onboard RAID
    controller, and two 250GB HDDs. I want to create a RAID 0 volume and
    then install Windows XP Pro on it. I set the cmos to:

    [integrated peripherals][Onchip IDE Device][Onchip SATA mode] = RAID

    But I am missing something. I need a setting or wizard or utility that
    actually makes the two derives seen as one RAID 0 volume?

    I downloaded the "ULi SATA Driver Disk" from ABIT at
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    and added it with F6 during Windows XP Pro setup, but that didn't
    help.

    What is the step(s) that I am missing?

    Stan Hilliard
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 25, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a new homebuilt PC with an ABIT KU8 motherboard, onboard RAID
    > controller, and two 250GB HDDs. I want to create a RAID 0 volume and
    > then install Windows XP Pro on it. I set the cmos to:
    >
    > [integrated peripherals][Onchip IDE Device][Onchip SATA mode] = RAID
    >
    > But I am missing something. I need a setting or wizard or utility that
    > actually makes the two derives seen as one RAID 0 volume?
    >
    > I downloaded the "ULi SATA Driver Disk" from ABIT at
    > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    > and added it with F6 during Windows XP Pro setup, but that didn't
    > help.
    >
    > What is the step(s) that I am missing?
    >
    > Stan Hilliard


    Not sure about that board, but usually there is a RAID setup screen after
    the BIOS infomation screen at boot.

    You need to push a certain key and it takes you into the RAID setup area,
    (CTRL+S or F4 usually).
    Sometimes you need to have drives attatched to the RAID controllers before
    it will let you enter setup, though usually you will see this screen list
    your HDDs connected to the RAID controllers.

    I would suggest you read the appendices of your mobo manual.
    fondue, Feb 25, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:35:16 +0900, "fondue" <> wrote:
    >"Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>I have a new homebuilt PC with an ABIT KU8 motherboard, onboard RAID
    >> controller, and two 250GB HDDs. I want to create a RAID 0 volume and
    >> then install Windows XP Pro on it. I set the cmos to:
    >>
    >> [integrated peripherals][Onchip IDE Device][Onchip SATA mode] = RAID
    >>
    >> But I am missing something. I need a setting or wizard or utility that
    >> actually makes the two derives seen as one RAID 0 volume?
    >>
    >> I downloaded the "ULi SATA Driver Disk" from ABIT at
    >> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    >> and added it with F6 during Windows XP Pro setup, but that didn't
    >> help.
    >>
    >> What is the step(s) that I am missing?
    >>
    >> Stan Hilliard



    >Not sure about that board, but usually there is a RAID setup screen after
    >the BIOS infomation screen at boot.
    >
    >You need to push a certain key and it takes you into the RAID setup area,
    >(CTRL+S or F4 usually).
    >Sometimes you need to have drives attatched to the RAID controllers before
    >it will let you enter setup, though usually you will see this screen list
    >your HDDs connected to the RAID controllers.
    >
    >I would suggest you read the appendices of your mobo manual.


    Thanks fondue, the controller bios page was there but it was flashing
    by so fast that I couldn't read it. When I stopped it with numlock key
    I could see that I needed to use CTRL+A to get to the RAID setup
    area.
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 25, 2007
    #3
  4. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:48:58 -0600, Stan Hilliard
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:35:16 +0900, "fondue" <> wrote:
    >>"Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>>I have a new homebuilt PC with an ABIT KU8 motherboard, onboard RAID
    >>> controller, and two 250GB HDDs. I want to create a RAID 0 volume and
    >>> then install Windows XP Pro on it. I set the cmos to:
    >>>
    >>> [integrated peripherals][Onchip IDE Device][Onchip SATA mode] = RAID
    >>>
    >>> But I am missing something. I need a setting or wizard or utility that
    >>> actually makes the two derives seen as one RAID 0 volume?
    >>>
    >>> I downloaded the "ULi SATA Driver Disk" from ABIT at
    >>> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    >>> and added it with F6 during Windows XP Pro setup, but that didn't
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> What is the step(s) that I am missing?
    >>>
    >>> Stan Hilliard

    >
    >
    >>Not sure about that board, but usually there is a RAID setup screen after
    >>the BIOS infomation screen at boot.
    >>
    >>You need to push a certain key and it takes you into the RAID setup area,
    >>(CTRL+S or F4 usually).
    >>Sometimes you need to have drives attatched to the RAID controllers before
    >>it will let you enter setup, though usually you will see this screen list
    >>your HDDs connected to the RAID controllers.
    >>
    >>I would suggest you read the appendices of your mobo manual.

    >
    >Thanks fondue, the controller bios page was there but it was flashing
    >by so fast that I couldn't read it. When I stopped it with numlock key
    >I could see that I needed to use CTRL+A to get to the RAID setup
    >area.


    OOPs, I spoke too soon. I created a RAID volume in the controller bios
    but Windows XP Pro Setup cannot find it.

    Setup fails here: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."

    I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    drives installed on your computer."

    This is how I created the 500 GB RAID volume:
    CTRL+A -->ALi RAID Bios Setup Utility
    Set stripe size = 64K
    Set RAID 0
    Select HDD1 and HDD2 (250 GB each)
    ESC

    I did not see any options in the RAID setup utility to format or set
    partitions. Does that come later in Windows Setup?

    At reboot I checked the RAID Bios Setup Utility again to be sure that
    the 500 GB volume was still there. Yes.

    One HDD was already formatted from when I first installed Windows
    without RAID. Could it be that only one of the two 250 GB HDDs is
    formatted?

    What bios settings might I have missed, or what installation steps
    might I have left out?
    Stan Hilliard
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 26, 2007
    #4
  5. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    <snip>
    > OOPs, I spoke too soon. I created a RAID volume in the controller bios
    > but Windows XP Pro Setup cannot find it.
    >
    > Setup fails here: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."
    >
    > I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    > drives installed on your computer."
    >
    > This is how I created the 500 GB RAID volume:
    > CTRL+A -->ALi RAID Bios Setup Utility
    > Set stripe size = 64K
    > Set RAID 0
    > Select HDD1 and HDD2 (250 GB each)
    > ESC
    >
    > I did not see any options in the RAID setup utility to format or set
    > partitions. Does that come later in Windows Setup?
    >
    > At reboot I checked the RAID Bios Setup Utility again to be sure that
    > the 500 GB volume was still there. Yes.
    >
    > One HDD was already formatted from when I first installed Windows
    > without RAID. Could it be that only one of the two 250 GB HDDs is
    > formatted?
    >
    > What bios settings might I have missed, or what installation steps
    > might I have left out?
    > Stan Hilliard
    >


    Usually the process is..
    1)attach drives to RAID controller on mobo.

    2)Boot to RAID setup BIOS and set the type of array you want to use.

    3)Install OS.

    Sounds like you have done 1 and 2.

    With XP have your RAID drivers on a floppy disk, (make sure they match your
    operating system, 32 or 64 bit etc..).

    With XP, as soon as Setup starts, watch the bottom of the screen for a
    message to press F6 to install third-party SCSI or software controllers.
    Hit F6 when you see this message. During setup you will come to a screen
    that asks if you want to specify third-party controllers. Put the floppy in
    the drive and follow the instructions. It should find your RAID array there.

    When setup sees the drives you will be offered the option to format before
    you actually install XP.

    I haven't used your board, but this is a general approach for installing XP
    to third-party controllers.
    fondue, Feb 26, 2007
    #5
  6. On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:20:50 +0900, "fondue" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    ><snip>
    >> OOPs, I spoke too soon. I created a RAID volume in the controller bios
    >> but Windows XP Pro Setup cannot find it.
    >>
    >> Setup fails here: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."
    >>
    >> I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    >> drives installed on your computer."
    >>
    >> This is how I created the 500 GB RAID volume:
    >> CTRL+A -->ALi RAID Bios Setup Utility
    >> Set stripe size = 64K
    >> Set RAID 0
    >> Select HDD1 and HDD2 (250 GB each)
    >> ESC
    >>
    >> I did not see any options in the RAID setup utility to format or set
    >> partitions. Does that come later in Windows Setup?
    >>
    >> At reboot I checked the RAID Bios Setup Utility again to be sure that
    >> the 500 GB volume was still there. Yes.
    >>
    >> One HDD was already formatted from when I first installed Windows
    >> without RAID. Could it be that only one of the two 250 GB HDDs is
    >> formatted?
    >>
    >> What bios settings might I have missed, or what installation steps
    >> might I have left out?
    >> Stan Hilliard
    >>

    >
    >Usually the process is..
    >1)attach drives to RAID controller on mobo.
    >
    >2)Boot to RAID setup BIOS and set the type of array you want to use.
    >
    >3)Install OS.
    >
    >Sounds like you have done 1 and 2.
    >
    >With XP have your RAID drivers on a floppy disk, (make sure they match your
    >operating system, 32 or 64 bit etc..).
    >
    >With XP, as soon as Setup starts, watch the bottom of the screen for a
    >message to press F6 to install third-party SCSI or software controllers.
    >Hit F6 when you see this message. During setup you will come to a screen
    >that asks if you want to specify third-party controllers. Put the floppy in
    >the drive and follow the instructions. It should find your RAID array there.


    Yes, I have been doing this. I neglected to mention it before, but I
    have been pushing F6. It loads some more files and then offers three
    options. I have 32 bit XP so I choose:

    "ULi SATA Controller (M1575/M1697, Windows XP/Server 2003)"

    After reading that option from floppy, I push ENTER. The PC loads some
    more files and then says: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."

    I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    drives installed on your computer."


    I seem to have done steps 1,2,3 but still Setup cannot find the RAID
    volume. Any more Ideas?
    Stan Hilliard

    >When setup sees the drives you will be offered the option to format before
    >you actually install XP.
    >
    >I haven't used your board, but this is a general approach for installing XP
    >to third-party controllers.
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 26, 2007
    #6
  7. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Yes, I have been doing this. I neglected to mention it before, but I
    > have been pushing F6. It loads some more files and then offers three
    > options. I have 32 bit XP so I choose:
    >
    > "ULi SATA Controller (M1575/M1697, Windows XP/Server 2003)"
    >
    > After reading that option from floppy, I push ENTER. The PC loads some
    > more files and then says: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."
    >
    > I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    > drives installed on your computer."
    >
    >
    > I seem to have done steps 1,2,3 but still Setup cannot find the RAID
    > volume. Any more Ideas?
    > Stan Hilliard
    >


    According to the manual the KU8 uses ULI M5289 SATA chipset and M1689 single
    chipset.

    I would try the "ULi M5289 SATA Driver" from the Abit site. You need to
    read the readme.txt file and follow the instructions to put the correct
    files on the floppy for the F6 install. The other "ULi SATA driver disk"
    seem to be for the M5288 chip.

    Does your version of XP have SP1 or 2 included?
    There *may* be an issue with large disks and the original XP, but you might
    be better asking in an XP group about that.

    This is more work than I have done building any of my own computers ;-)

    HTH.
    fondue, Feb 26, 2007
    #7
  8. On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:36:56 +0900, "fondue" <> wrote:
    >"Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    ><snip>
    >> Yes, I have been doing this. I neglected to mention it before, but I
    >> have been pushing F6. It loads some more files and then offers three
    >> options. I have 32 bit XP so I choose:
    >>
    >> "ULi SATA Controller (M1575/M1697, Windows XP/Server 2003)"
    >>
    >> After reading that option from floppy, I push ENTER. The PC loads some
    >> more files and then says: "To set up Windows XP now, press enter."
    >>
    >> I press ENTER and get this message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
    >> drives installed on your computer."
    >>
    >>
    >> I seem to have done steps 1,2,3 but still Setup cannot find the RAID
    >> volume. Any more Ideas?
    >> Stan Hilliard
    >>

    >
    >According to the manual the KU8 uses ULI M5289 SATA chipset and M1689 single
    >chipset.
    >
    >I would try the "ULi M5289 SATA Driver" from the Abit site. You need to
    >read the readme.txt file and follow the instructions to put the correct
    >files on the floppy for the F6 install. The other "ULi SATA driver disk"
    >seem to be for the M5288 chip.


    I was going to do that until I found this with google:

    ==== http://www.majorgeeks.com/ALi_Integrated_Driver_d4463.html
    16.M5287 v 6.2.0.9 driver for 2000(WHQL)/2003/XP(WHQL)/x64(WHQL)
    17.M5288 v 6.2.1.3 driver for 2000/2003/XP/x64
    18.M5289 v 5.0.3.0 driver for
    NT4/98se/Me/2000(WHQL)/XP(WHQL)/2003/x64(WHQL)
    ====
    It looks like both M5288 and M5289 are for XP.

    On ABIT's KU8 download page,
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    the latest .sys versions of M5288 is more recent than the latest .sys
    of M5289.

    It bothers me their zip files contain multiple copies of files:

    ABITs ULi SATA Driver Disk ( file=uli_sata_v103.zip )
    3 copies of M5288.sys, latest is: 01/11/05

    ABITs ULi M5289 SATA Driver ( file=5029.zip )
    8 copies of M5289.sys, latest is: 23/12/05

    >Does your version of XP have SP1 or 2 included?

    It has SP2

    >There *may* be an issue with large disks and the original XP, but you might
    >be better asking in an XP group about that.

    I will raise that issues and the others when I call ABIT technical
    service later today. I am waiting for their website to come up in case
    they want me to download a diagnostic program.

    >This is more work than I have done building any of my own computers ;-)
    >HTH.

    HTH, I really appreciate your help.
    Stan Hilliard
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 26, 2007
    #8
  9. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >>
    >>According to the manual the KU8 uses ULI M5289 SATA chipset and M1689
    >>single
    >>chipset.
    >>
    >>I would try the "ULi M5289 SATA Driver" from the Abit site. You need to
    >>read the readme.txt file and follow the instructions to put the correct
    >>files on the floppy for the F6 install. The other "ULi SATA driver disk"
    >>seem to be for the M5288 chip.

    >
    > I was going to do that until I found this with google:
    >
    > ==== http://www.majorgeeks.com/ALi_Integrated_Driver_d4463.html
    > 16.M5287 v 6.2.0.9 driver for 2000(WHQL)/2003/XP(WHQL)/x64(WHQL)
    > 17.M5288 v 6.2.1.3 driver for 2000/2003/XP/x64
    > 18.M5289 v 5.0.3.0 driver for
    > NT4/98se/Me/2000(WHQL)/XP(WHQL)/2003/x64(WHQL)
    > ====
    > It looks like both M5288 and M5289 are for XP.


    They are drivers for different product covered by the same install package.
    Same as Intel covers a wide variety of products in their chipset updates,
    and ATI / Nvidia release driver packages that cover virtually all of their
    current products.

    >
    > On ABIT's KU8 download page,
    > http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=271
    > the latest .sys versions of M5288 is more recent than the latest .sys
    > of M5289.
    >


    M5288 and M5289 are different products. Either see if there are drivers on
    the CD that came with the board, or use install packages that cover M5289.

    > It bothers me their zip files contain multiple copies of files:


    That would be because the driver packages are for seven or more OSes.
    fondue, Feb 26, 2007
    #9
  10. "fondue" wrote:
    >M5288 and M5289 are different products. Either see if there are drivers on
    >the CD that came with the board, or use install packages that cover M5289.


    Thank you for all your help. I was able to get Windows XP to recognize
    the RAID by using the method you suggested. I used the "ULi SATA
    Driver Disk" v1.0 from the download page. It contained the M5289
    files. I used them on the diskette and Windows installed and is
    working OK.

    But it seems that every success is followed by a new question. In
    device manager there are twe RAID entries.

    Under "SCSI and RAID controllers" there is the M5289, which is working
    properly.

    Under "Other Devices", "? RAID controller" it says "the drivers for
    this device are not installed (code 28)".

    What is the method to rectify this?

    Astoundingly, I found my missing ABIT KU8 driver disk and the CD that
    came with the motherboard with drivers & ABIT utility. I had put it in
    the garage when my wife insisted that I get all my computer stuff off
    the dining room table before christmas.

    I installed the other drivers (audio, LAN, M5289(again), "Cool and
    Quiet", and ABIT EQ). This brought the PC to a standstill. Rebooting
    didn't help. So I reinstalled Windows using the driver disk from the
    motherboard. That is where I am now. I am concerned about installing
    the other drivers from the driver CD because of the way that slowed
    the PC before.

    Any ideas about that?

    Stan Hilliard
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 27, 2007
    #10
  11. Stan Hilliard

    lkboop Guest

    Stan Hilliard wrote:
    > "fondue" wrote:
    >> M5288 and M5289 are different products. Either see if there are drivers on
    >> the CD that came with the board, or use install packages that cover M5289.

    >
    > Thank you for all your help. I was able to get Windows XP to recognize
    > the RAID by using the method you suggested. I used the "ULi SATA
    > Driver Disk" v1.0 from the download page. It contained the M5289
    > files. I used them on the diskette and Windows installed and is
    > working OK.
    >
    > But it seems that every success is followed by a new question. In
    > device manager there are twe RAID entries.
    >
    > Under "SCSI and RAID controllers" there is the M5289, which is working
    > properly.
    >
    > Under "Other Devices", "? RAID controller" it says "the drivers for
    > this device are not installed (code 28)".
    >
    > What is the method to rectify this?
    >
    > Astoundingly, I found my missing ABIT KU8 driver disk and the CD that
    > came with the motherboard with drivers & ABIT utility. I had put it in
    > the garage when my wife insisted that I get all my computer stuff off
    > the dining room table before christmas.
    >
    > I installed the other drivers (audio, LAN, M5289(again), "Cool and
    > Quiet", and ABIT EQ). This brought the PC to a standstill. Rebooting
    > didn't help. So I reinstalled Windows using the driver disk from the
    > motherboard. That is where I am now. I am concerned about installing
    > the other drivers from the driver CD because of the way that slowed
    > the PC before.
    >
    > Any ideas about that?
    >
    > Stan Hilliard
    >

    It sounds like you are ALMOST there. It also sounds like a lot of shall
    we say driver conflict.

    My suggestion is to reload Windows XP. You will be an expert by the time
    you are done.

    1. on the web site there are a total of 6 drivers you need ALL BUT ULI
    SATA Driver disk V1.03 This is for 64 bit version.

    2. As you boot up with your Windows XP disk in the CD drive you will be
    prompted to hit any key to boot from cd-After you do this windows will
    continue to load then you will be told "windows is starting" and shortly
    after that you will be prompted to push f6 to load 3rd party driver-do
    so-then you will come up to a screen that tells you to "press S to load
    3rd party driver insert floppy and follow directions If you are given a
    choice of two drivers load one and repeat the process to load the other
    i.e. press "s" again after it loads the first driver(Usually hit enter)
    Nforce drivers have two drivers to be loaded it looks like there is only
    one for you. From here on just a regular windows install.

    3. HOW TO MAKE THE FLOPPY

    First you need the download file labeled ULI SATA DRIVER DISK REVISION
    v1.0 This is an executable file which makes it much easier. After you
    run (execute) the file you will have a folder labeled uli_sata_v10. Open
    the folder and you will see 5 folders and some files. READ THE README
    file completely. Not all drivers install the same and this will give you
    further information. IN General all you need to do is open the folder
    win_xp and copy the files inside to formated floppy. NOTE: make sure the
    floppy is NOT bootable but formatted. That's it

    4. Now that you have Windows installed you need to load the other
    drivers. In this order (Unpack any zipped drivers first to a place where
    you can find them-because if try to unzip in the middle of a driver
    installation you just might as well start over)

    A.Chipset driver
    B.ULI M5289 SATA Driver--This also contains the utility to allow to
    repair your RAID in windows, But since you chose to install RAID 0 no
    repair is possible. This is where I think you screwed up. You ended up
    with a driver in the wrong place-Very hard to recover from.
    C.LAN drivers
    D. Audio Drivers

    I don't think that I have forgotten any thing.

    Good Luck
    Logan
    lkboop, Feb 28, 2007
    #11
  12. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    <snip>
    >
    > But it seems that every success is followed by a new question. In
    > device manager there are twe RAID entries.
    >
    > Under "SCSI and RAID controllers" there is the M5289, which is working
    > properly.
    >
    > Under "Other Devices", "? RAID controller" it says "the drivers for
    > this device are not installed (code 28)".
    >
    > What is the method to rectify this?


    <snip>>

    After getting windows running, install the chipset drivers. Try running the
    ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL you linked to from the majorgeeks site.
    This seems to be a later version than the one on the Abit site.
    You don't need to install everything individually, the installer will decide
    what you need.
    This may fix your RAID controller question mark in Device manager, (do you
    have any PCI cards installed?).

    You don't say if you are running XP SP2 or not. If not install that as well.

    I can't help you with "Cool and Quiet" or Abit EQ, but for the moment if you
    don't need it don't install. They may work with the latest chipset drivers.

    Also, if you can boot, but not into Windows, try tapping the F8 key after
    the BIOS screen. You should see a menu with "Last Known Good Configuration"
    listed as one of the options. Choose this and Windows will boot to the last
    working configuration.

    HTH
    fondue, Feb 28, 2007
    #12
  13. On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:50:32 +0900, "fondue" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> But it seems that every success is followed by a new question. In
    >> device manager there are twe RAID entries.
    >>
    >> Under "SCSI and RAID controllers" there is the M5289, which is working
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> Under "Other Devices", "? RAID controller" it says "the drivers for
    >> this device are not installed (code 28)".
    >>
    >> What is the method to rectify this?

    >
    ><snip>>
    >
    >After getting windows running, install the chipset drivers. Try running the
    >ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL you linked to from the majorgeeks site.
    >This seems to be a later version than the one on the Abit site.
    >You don't need to install everything individually, the installer will decide
    >what you need.
    >This may fix your RAID controller question mark in Device manager, (do you
    >have any PCI cards installed?).


    I had forgotten about this. There is a PPA 2-Port SATA PCI controller
    card on the motherboard.

    >You don't say if you are running XP SP2 or not. If not install that as well.


    The Windows XP Pro CD is SP2.

    >I can't help you with "Cool and Quiet" or Abit EQ, but for the moment if you
    >don't need it don't install. They may work with the latest chipset drivers.


    I will leave Abit EQ out.

    "Cool and Quiet" looks interesting but I will wait until I get the
    system working right before looking at it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet

    >Also, if you can boot, but not into Windows, try tapping the F8 key after
    >the BIOS screen. You should see a menu with "Last Known Good Configuration"
    >listed as one of the options. Choose this and Windows will boot to the last
    >working configuration.
    >HTH
    Stan Hilliard, Feb 28, 2007
    #13
  14. fondue wrote:
    >>After getting windows running, install the chipset drivers. Try running the
    >>ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL you linked to from the majorgeeks site.
    >>This seems to be a later version than the one on the ABIT site.
    >>You don't need to install everything individually, the installer will decide
    >>what you need.
    >>This may fix your RAID controller question mark in Device manager, (do you
    >>have any PCI cards installed?).


    >I had forgotten about this. There is a PPA 2-Port SATA PCI controller
    >card on the motherboard.


    Removing the PCI card got rid of the "? in Device Manager".

    I reinstalled Windows. I ran "ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL" but it
    only installed
    (1) "ULi PCI to AGP Controller Driver" and
    (2) "ULi M5289 SATA Controller Driver"

    Q1: Did I need (1)?
    Q2: How can I know if I should have other drivers installed?

    I installed the Realtek Audio Driver (again) from the ABIT download
    page. I learned that this is what had caused my PC to grind to a stop
    before. Using Windows Task Manager I determined that "Soundman" was
    taking 100% of CPU resources for intervals of up to 2 minutes. I
    uninstalled Realtek and that solved that problem.

    Now when I login, Windows detects new "Multimedia Audio Controller"
    hardware.

    Q3: I am wondering if there is a way to figure out why Realtek Audio
    is not compatible?
    Stan Hilliard, Mar 1, 2007
    #14
  15. Stan Hilliard

    fondue Guest

    "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    <snip>>
    > Removing the PCI card got rid of the "? in Device Manager".


    OK, it just means you need to install those drivers when you insert the card
    again.

    >
    > I reinstalled Windows. I ran "ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL" but it
    > only installed
    > (1) "ULi PCI to AGP Controller Driver" and
    > (2) "ULi M5289 SATA Controller Driver"


    This could just mean the driver versions you already have are up to date.

    >
    > Q1: Did I need (1)?


    I don't know, probably...

    > Q2: How can I know if I should have other drivers installed?


    If you have devices that are not working, you need drivers, is the short
    answer :)

    Normally anything supported by the chipset has drivers included for all of
    its hardware, IDE controllers etc. You can get seperate drivers for each
    device, but unless there is a specific problem it's isn't necessary.

    Sound processors and things like Highpoint/Silicon SATA RAID controllers are
    considered third party, which is why drivers need to be installed
    seperately, even though they are integrated into the motherboard.

    >
    > I installed the Realtek Audio Driver (again) from the ABIT download
    > page. I learned that this is what had caused my PC to grind to a stop
    > before. Using Windows Task Manager I determined that "Soundman" was
    > taking 100% of CPU resources for intervals of up to 2 minutes. I
    > uninstalled Realtek and that solved that problem.
    >
    > Now when I login, Windows detects new "Multimedia Audio Controller"
    > hardware.


    I think if you try to install drivers and fail you have the option to not be
    asked about installing this hardware again. You might need to attempt a
    driver install before you get this option.

    >
    > Q3: I am wondering if there is a way to figure out why Realtek Audio
    > is not compatible?


    There seems to be later drivers at the realtek site
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC,
    apart from that it can be hit and miss.

    If you know who makes the LAN chip you could check their site for drivers.

    From my observation motherboard manufacturers only seem to put up a handful
    of drivers, especially once a mobo is outdated. The chip makers will have
    the latest drivers and usually tech support.
    fondue, Mar 2, 2007
    #15
  16. Stan Hilliard

    Guest

    fondue wrote:
    > "Stan Hilliard" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > <snip>>
    > > Removing the PCI card got rid of the "? in Device Manager".

    >
    > OK, it just means you need to install those drivers when you insert the card
    > again.
    >
    > >
    > > I reinstalled Windows. I ran "ALi Integrated Driver 2.13 WHQL" but it
    > > only installed
    > > (1) "ULi PCI to AGP Controller Driver" and
    > > (2) "ULi M5289 SATA Controller Driver"

    >
    > This could just mean the driver versions you already have are up to date.
    >
    > >
    > > Q1: Did I need (1)?

    >
    > I don't know, probably...
    >
    > > Q2: How can I know if I should have other drivers installed?

    >
    > If you have devices that are not working, you need drivers, is the short
    > answer :)
    >
    > Normally anything supported by the chipset has drivers included for all of
    > its hardware, IDE controllers etc. You can get seperate drivers for each
    > device, but unless there is a specific problem it's isn't necessary.
    >
    > Sound processors and things like Highpoint/Silicon SATA RAID controllers are
    > considered third party, which is why drivers need to be installed
    > seperately, even though they are integrated into the motherboard.
    >
    > >
    > > I installed the Realtek Audio Driver (again) from the ABIT download
    > > page. I learned that this is what had caused my PC to grind to a stop
    > > before. Using Windows Task Manager I determined that "Soundman" was
    > > taking 100% of CPU resources for intervals of up to 2 minutes. I
    > > uninstalled Realtek and that solved that problem.
    > >
    > > Now when I login, Windows detects new "Multimedia Audio Controller"
    > > hardware.

    >
    > I think if you try to install drivers and fail you have the option to not be
    > asked about installing this hardware again. You might need to attempt a
    > driver install before you get this option.
    >
    > >
    > > Q3: I am wondering if there is a way to figure out why Realtek Audio
    > > is not compatible?

    >
    > There seems to be later drivers at the realtek site
    > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC,
    > apart from that it can be hit and miss.
    >
    > If you know who makes the LAN chip you could check their site for drivers.
    >
    > From my observation motherboard manufacturers only seem to put up a handful
    > of drivers, especially once a mobo is outdated. The chip makers will have
    > the latest drivers and usually tech support.


    Thanks, I installed that latest realtek driver and everything works OK
    now. My new homebuilt PC is working fine and with Windows XP installed
    and working correctly. I appreciate all the help.

    Stan Hilliard
    , Mar 12, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    22
    Views:
    652
  2. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    428
  3. johnathon

    abit ku8

    johnathon, Jan 21, 2006, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    521
    johnathon
    Jan 24, 2006
  4. Stan Hilliard
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,438
  5. Zala
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    379
Loading...

Share This Page