TW 4.0

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Tim Streater, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    Hmmm, nothing major changed for me in this version. The drawer of open
    files has become a pane but that's about it.

    I use "Save a copy" a lot which was why I was disturbed to find this bug
    in 3.5.x, which does not appear to have been fixed in 4.0:

    1) Edit your file

    2) Decide to save a copy somewhere. Select File -> Save a Copy...

    3) At this point something happens (e.g. phone rings) and you *forget*
    to navigate elsewhere in the file system.

    4) Click on Save button. Click Replace when prompted (you expected to do
    this because there was, in fact, already a file of that name in the
    other spot in the file system, from when you did this yesterday).

    5) See a nasty looking pop-down warning that the file seems to have been
    modified on disk by another application. Take the "safe" option and
    click cancel.

    6) Thinking you'll back out and start again, close the window of this
    file in TW, intending to reopen it, perhaps later.

    7) Discover now or some time later that your file on disk is now zero
    bytes long. Luckily you are not a fathead and you have a backup. Or two.
    But, of course, any changes you made in (1) are now lost.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Apr 10, 2012

  2. Tim Streater

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > Hmmm, nothing major changed for me in this version. The drawer of open
    > files has become a pane but that's about it.
    >
    > I use "Save a copy" a lot which was why I was disturbed to find this bug
    > in 3.5.x, which does not appear to have been fixed in 4.0:
    >
    > 1) Edit your file
    >
    > 2) Decide to save a copy somewhere. Select File -> Save a Copy...
    >
    > 3) At this point something happens (e.g. phone rings) and you *forget*
    > to navigate elsewhere in the file system.
    >
    > 4) Click on Save button. Click Replace when prompted (you expected to do
    > this because there was, in fact, already a file of that name in the
    > other spot in the file system, from when you did this yesterday).
    >
    > 5) See a nasty looking pop-down warning that the file seems to have been
    > modified on disk by another application. Take the "safe" option and
    > click cancel.
    >
    > 6) Thinking you'll back out and start again, close the window of this
    > file in TW, intending to reopen it, perhaps later.
    >
    > 7) Discover now or some time later that your file on disk is now zero
    > bytes long. Luckily you are not a fathead and you have a backup. Or two.
    > But, of course, any changes you made in (1) are now lost.

    Erm... What's a "TW"?

    "Tomorrow Wendy"?
    "Three Whiskeys"?
    "Tortured Witch"?
    "TradeWars"?
    "Tickled Woman"?
    "Total Waste"?

    Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
    of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

    --
    Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
    post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
    Don Bruder, Apr 11, 2012

  3. Tim Streater

    Jim Guest

    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
    > of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

    TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

    In uk.comp.sys.mac we often joke that it's a great editor, but the price
    is a little steep.

    Jim
    --
    Twitter:mad:GreyAreaUK Facetime ID:

    "Join me again next week on -Let's Make No Fucking Sense- when I will
    be waxing an owl." Mac, 'Green Wing'
    Jim, Apr 11, 2012
  4. Tim Streater

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <1kididz.1ykfr2x1qzloqiN%>,
    (Jim) wrote:

    > Don Bruder <> wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
    > > of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

    > TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

    Ahhh... Much more useful. Not that it means much to me now that I know,
    since I haven't heard of it before now. (TextEdit and/or the editor in
    XCode has served me well enough for the uses I put a text editor to)

    Is it unreasonable to assume that this "TextWrangler" beast is the
    latest evolution of the old reliable "BBEdit" that I used to use heavily
    back in the pre-OSX days?

    Don Bruder, Apr 11, 2012
  5. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <jm49si$gvu$>, Don Bruder <>
    wrote:

    > In article <1kididz.1ykfr2x1qzloqiN%>,
    > (Jim) wrote:
    >
    > > Don Bruder <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Perhaps something else? (AKA, it's always wise to use the full expansion
    > > > of an abbreviation at least once when there's even a slight ambiguity...)

    > > TextWrangler, the free text editor from Bare Bones.

    > Ahhh... Much more useful. Not that it means much to me now that I know,
    > since I haven't heard of it before now. (TextEdit and/or the editor in
    > XCode has served me well enough for the uses I put a text editor to)
    >
    > Is it unreasonable to assume that this "TextWrangler" beast is the
    > latest evolution of the old reliable "BBEdit" that I used to use heavily
    > back in the pre-OSX days?

    BBedit still exists and you pay for it. TW is free although by and large
    it's a subset and in essence replaces the old BBEdit Lite.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Apr 11, 2012