Twin battery charging question.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by T i m, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi All,

    Daughter has been using an old Dell Latitude D520 for a year or so and
    it has the main / std battery ... and came with one of the modular
    bay batteries that is currently fitted.

    I understand the main battery has been showing it's age (she's living
    away from home now but is currently visiting) and as we speak, neither
    battery seems to be charging (although the machine works fine under
    mains power etc).

    If I go into the BIOS it shows the main battery as 'Not present' and
    the modular battery as there but very low in charge (3% or so).
    Neither XP nor Linux can see the primary battery either
    (unsurprisingly).

    It has a real Dell charger and has been fine with everything as is for
    over a year etc. [1]

    On the basis we knew the main battery was on its way out I was
    thinking of getting another one in any case (it mainly needs to be
    used to cover the machine for moves between power sockets) and in the
    hope that the charge control circuitry doesn't work if the main
    battery isn't fitted (or has died in a weird way)?

    Would the DC power socket have any part to play in this? It works
    under mains power and whist the plug and socket have seen some work
    they do seem ok (and I've changed a few in my time so can normally
    feel a 'bad' one).

    Cheers, T i m

    [1] Remembering this setup has been working nearly daily for a good
    while ... the charger / psu is a Dell (well, Liteon) PA-12 (DF263,
    PA-160-06D3) and rated at 19.5V / 3.34A. On the bottom of the laptop
    it says it requires a PA-10 or 12 adaptor, 19.5V but has a current
    requirement of 4.62A?

    Am I right in thinking this would just mean that (say) it had both
    batteries in it wouldn't be able to charge them as fast as if it had
    the full charger current ability available? ie, it wouldn't do any
    harm as such? In the BIOS I think it also can't see the charger but
    that is pretty commonplace from my experience.
    T i m, Jan 18, 2011

  2. T i m

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    T i m typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:28:52 +0000:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Daughter has been using an old Dell Latitude D520 for a year or so and
    > it has the main / std battery ... and came with one of the modular
    > bay batteries that is currently fitted.
    >
    > I understand the main battery has been showing it's age (she's living
    > away from home now but is currently visiting) and as we speak, neither
    > battery seems to be charging (although the machine works fine under
    > mains power etc).
    >
    > If I go into the BIOS it shows the main battery as 'Not present' and
    > the modular battery as there but very low in charge (3% or so).
    > Neither XP nor Linux can see the primary battery either
    > (unsurprisingly).
    >
    > It has a real Dell charger and has been fine with everything as is for
    > over a year etc. [1]
    >
    > On the basis we knew the main battery was on its way out I was
    > thinking of getting another one in any case (it mainly needs to be
    > used to cover the machine for moves between power sockets) and in the
    > hope that the charge control circuitry doesn't work if the main
    > battery isn't fitted (or has died in a weird way)?
    >
    > Would the DC power socket have any part to play in this? It works
    > under mains power and whist the plug and socket have seen some work
    > they do seem ok (and I've changed a few in my time so can normally
    > feel a 'bad' one).
    >
    > Cheers, T i m
    >
    > [1] Remembering this setup has been working nearly daily for a good
    > while ... the charger / psu is a Dell (well, Liteon) PA-12 (DF263,
    > PA-160-06D3) and rated at 19.5V / 3.34A. On the bottom of the laptop
    > it says it requires a PA-10 or 12 adaptor, 19.5V but has a current
    > requirement of 4.62A?
    >
    > Am I right in thinking this would just mean that (say) it had both
    > batteries in it wouldn't be able to charge them as fast as if it had
    > the full charger current ability available? ie, it wouldn't do any
    > harm as such? In the BIOS I think it also can't see the charger but
    > that is pretty commonplace from my experience.

    Well it is very clear that almost all laptops benefit from removing the
    main battery if you are not using it. As the heat of the laptop alone
    shortens the battery life. Plus most laptops are designed to keep each
    lithium cell at 4.2v, which also shortens the battery life. This is true
    for those with a second battery as well.

    The second thing I see a lot is people keeping an almost shot battery
    (and sometimes a completely useless one) in the laptop. This in my
    experience is a very bad thing to do. As if the laptop battery still
    charges a battery in this state, it throws all of the current into the
    battery that it safely can. This is normally ok for a good battery, as
    the current drops off right away as the battery starts taking a charge.

    But a bad battery, this never happens. As it continues to supply a huge
    amount of current for months if not years. And the circuits just can't
    take this that long. Besides shortening the life of the battery, it can
    ruin the charging circuits and even the AC power circuits. Meaning it
    may never charge any battery ever again, or worse, never run from AC
    ever again either.

    All laptops that has a second battery works in this way AFAIK. This one
    that I am on also has a second battery. And a laptop doesn't care which
    battery it is getting its power from. So you can use only the main
    battery if you want, or remove the main battery and just have the second
    battery installed, or neither and just on AC alone.

    The big plus for two batteries of course is much longer running time.
    This one for example can run 10 hours alone from these two (virtually
    unheard of for laptops). Plus as long as one still has a charge, you can
    remove one battery and pop in another one while the laptop is still
    running.

    It sounds like though, your daughter just needs enough battery power to
    go from one outlet to another. In that case, I would get either a new
    main battery or a second battery and don't worry about the other one and
    remove it. Of course, it is a gamble that none of the circuits have been
    already damaged.

    If this is too much of a gamble, the cheap way is just put the laptop in
    hibernate mode, then switch to another outlet. I don't know, I think
    this laptop takes 10 seconds to go in and out of hibernation with 2GB of
    RAM installed. But my old ('99) Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops with 192MB of
    RAM takes over 10 minutes to hibernate and to come back out. So your
    mileage may vary.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP
    BillW50, Jan 18, 2011

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:53:39 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >> Am I right in thinking this would just mean that (say) it had both
    >> batteries in it wouldn't be able to charge them as fast as if it had
    >> the full charger current ability available? ie, it wouldn't do any
    >> harm as such? In the BIOS I think it also can't see the charger but
    >> that is pretty commonplace from my experience.

    >Well it is very clear that almost all laptops benefit from removing the
    >main battery if you are not using it. As the heat of the laptop alone
    >shortens the battery life.

    Understood. However, there is the benefit to having the battery in
    place all the time if you could either lose power via a power cut or
    simply having the DC plug pulled out. Built in UPS etc.

    > Plus most laptops are designed to keep each
    >lithium cell at 4.2v, which also shortens the battery life. This is true
    >for those with a second battery as well.

    Ok.

    Again, ok if you are using a laptop as a desktop replacement but not
    if you are using it portably. If I need to take a laptop out or away
    from power it's good\to know that it's fully charged and I'm not sure
    a 'charged last week and disconnected' battery would still be on top
    form?

    Also (when using a laptop on yer lap) I'm not sure I like the feel or
    idea of using a laptop with big holes underneath? Maybe if they made
    dummy batteries to fill up the space (or store some bits .. like USB
    cables <g>) then it might be better?

    >The second thing I see a lot is people keeping an almost shot battery
    >(and sometimes a completely useless one) in the laptop. This in my
    >experience is a very bad thing to do.

    Understood but see above.

    > As if the laptop battery still
    >charges a battery in this state, it throws all of the current into the
    >battery that it safely can. This is normally ok for a good battery, as
    >the current drops off right away as the battery starts taking a charge.

    Understood.

    >But a bad battery, this never happens. As it continues to supply a huge
    >amount of current for months if not years.

    But wouldn't that mean the battery would get very hot? If it was
    /consuming/ energy it had no way of absorbing then wouldn't that
    energy be converted to heat?

    > And the circuits just can't
    >take this that long.

    Whilst I agree with your thinking and feel this is what may have
    happened in many of the cases I've seen I'd like to think the
    electronics and monitoring would deal with it in a more subtle way
    than cooking themselves. ;-(

    > Besides shortening the life of the battery, it can
    >ruin the charging circuits and even the AC power circuits. Meaning it
    >may never charge any battery ever again, or worse, never run from AC
    >ever again either.

    Understood. Having many a battery powered device, including many
    electric RC models and even a full road going electric car I'm fairly
    familiar with how easily batteries can go bad. However, by the same
    voodoo I've got a set of Nicads in a radio I've been using for over 20
    years now. Also, I've just dug out an old Thinkpad R31 and after the
    first charge for probably at least a year it's just run flat after 2.5
    hours. The battery on one of the few machines I've ever bought from
    new (the Asus eeePC 701) goes flat from full if left for more that a
    couple of weeks.

    >All laptops that has a second battery works in this way AFAIK. This one
    >that I am on also has a second battery. And a laptop doesn't care which
    >battery it is getting its power from. So you can use only the main
    >battery if you want, or remove the main battery and just have the second
    >battery installed, or neither and just on AC alone.

    That I understand, with working batteries etc, but what if say the
    primary battery goes bad. Is it required to be in place and working to
    allow (say) the modular / second battery in this Dell to be charged?

    >The big plus for two batteries of course is much longer running time.
    >This one for example can run 10 hours alone from these two (virtually
    >unheard of for laptops).

    I think this Dell gave about 5 hours on both batteries when we first
    got it and she does tend to use it from the battery initially at least
    (if she knows she's going to be in a location for a while she'll plug
    it in, if not she'll run from battery.

    > Plus as long as one still has a charge, you can
    >remove one battery and pop in another one while the laptop is still
    >running.

    Ok.

    >It sounds like though, your daughter just needs enough battery power to
    >go from one outlet to another.

    Often but not always. ;-)

    > In that case, I would get either a new
    >main battery or a second battery and don't worry about the other one and
    >remove it. Of course, it is a gamble that none of the circuits have been
    >already damaged.

    Exactly (and an advantage to having another machine with the same
    battery as I have with 3 old Compaqs).

    >If this is too much of a gamble,

    Well, it wouldn't be the end of the world as it could be re-sold on
    eBay if it turns out to be the worst and we don't find a replacement
    systemboard at the right price.

    > the cheap way is just put the laptop in
    >hibernate mode, then switch to another outlet.

    Or shut it down (it's pretty quick to start and she isn't bothered
    either way).

    > I don't know, I think
    >this laptop takes 10 seconds to go in and out of hibernation with 2GB of
    >RAM installed. But my old ('99) Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops with 192MB of
    >RAM takes over 10 minutes to hibernate and to come back out. So your
    >mileage may vary.

    I have asked her several times if she's happy with her old Dell or
    (considering what's happened to it of late) if she would like
    something new(/er) and it seems she quite happy with her old Dell (CD
    T2300, 1.66, 1G, 250G). ;-)

    I did offer her this R31 Thinkpad I'm sorting out but she likes a
    trackpad (and I think I prefer one also).

    Cheers, T i m
    T i m, Jan 18, 2011
  4. T i m

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    T i m typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:28:34 +0000:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:53:39 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Am I right in thinking this would just mean that (say) it had both
    >>> batteries in it wouldn't be able to charge them as fast as if it had
    >>> the full charger current ability available? ie, it wouldn't do any
    >>> harm as such? In the BIOS I think it also can't see the charger but
    >>> that is pretty commonplace from my experience.

    >> Well it is very clear that almost all laptops benefit from removing
    >> the main battery if you are not using it. As the heat of the laptop
    >> alone shortens the battery life.

    > Understood. However, there is the benefit to having the battery in
    > place all the time if you could either lose power via a power cut or
    > simply having the DC plug pulled out. Built in UPS etc.

    Yes of course, that is the only reason to have a battery installed if
    used mostly on AC. Although depending on the cost of the battery (I can
    get ones for mine for about 40 bucks), a real UPS can be cheaper. Plus
    you can run more than a laptop from them as well.

    Laptop batteries left in generally only last 2 to 3 years. While left
    out, can last 10 years or more. And a real UPS, the battery generally
    last 5 to 10 years running 24/7.

    >> Plus most laptops are designed to keep each
    >> lithium cell at 4.2v, which also shortens the battery life. This is
    >> true for those with a second battery as well.

    > Ok.

    They push it to 4.2v per cell so they can claim longer running time. But
    at a lost of battery longevity.

    > Again, ok if you are using a laptop as a desktop replacement but not
    > if you are using it portably. If I need to take a laptop out or away
    > from power it's good\to know that it's fully charged and I'm not sure
    > a 'charged last week and disconnected' battery would still be on top
    > form?

    Lithiums lose 2% of the charge per month. So a charge battery sitting
    for a month should only lose 2% of its capacity.

    > Also (when using a laptop on yer lap) I'm not sure I like the feel or
    > idea of using a laptop with big holes underneath? Maybe if they made
    > dummy batteries to fill up the space (or store some bits .. like USB
    > cables <g>) then it might be better?

    Sometimes you can find blanks that fill up the holes. This laptop I have
    here they make one for. Although I cut a piece of wood with slots and
    everything and it works just fine. This one needs something there to
    trip the trigger for the port replicator.

    Although normally the hole shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that
    should be in there are the battery connections. And nothing dangerous
    should be there if there is no battery anyway. Although I wouldn't take
    a coin and short the connectors out. So not poking metal in there and
    you should be okay.

    >> The second thing I see a lot is people keeping an almost shot battery
    >> (and sometimes a completely useless one) in the laptop. This in my
    >> experience is a very bad thing to do.

    > Understood but see above.
    >
    >> As if the laptop battery still
    >> charges a battery in this state, it throws all of the current into
    >> the battery that it safely can. This is normally ok for a good
    >> battery, as the current drops off right away as the battery starts
    >> taking a charge.

    > Understood.
    >>
    >> But a bad battery, this never happens. As it continues to supply a
    >> huge amount of current for months if not years.

    > But wouldn't that mean the battery would get very hot? If it was
    > /consuming/ energy it had no way of absorbing then wouldn't that
    > energy be converted to heat?

    They do, but the laptop itself also acts like a huge heat sink. So in a
    way, that is the good news. The bad news is the circuits are pushing the
    maximum they were designed to handle. That is okay short term, but not
    if 24/7.

    >> And the circuits just can't
    >> take this that long.

    > Whilst I agree with your thinking and feel this is what may have
    > happened in many of the cases I've seen I'd like to think the
    > electronics and monitoring would deal with it in a more subtle way
    > than cooking themselves. ;-(

    Well you would think, but most of the safety focus is keeping the
    lithium battery from bursting into flames. And just worrying about that
    is tricky enough. Plus I think manufactures wants to make extra money on
    the batteries they can sell you anyway.

    >> Besides shortening the life of the battery, it can
    >> ruin the charging circuits and even the AC power circuits. Meaning it
    >> may never charge any battery ever again, or worse, never run from AC
    >> ever again either.

    > Understood. Having many a battery powered device, including many
    > electric RC models and even a full road going electric car I'm fairly
    > familiar with how easily batteries can go bad.

    I too use RC stuff. Although I mainly focus on flying RC. And things are
    different there. As they have to be light enough to get off of the
    ground, yet heavy enough to have longer flight times. Both are in total
    opposition of each other.

    > However, by the same voodoo I've got a set of Nicads in a radio I've
    > been using for over 20 years now.

    Ni-Cads are totally different than lithium. Care and feeding are totally
    different too. And Ni-Cads are really safe as far as rechargeable
    batteries goes. Although in about 7 years of time they generally develop
    whiskers (which short them out). Can happen much earlier if you say to
    charge them backwards or so. By the way I have some Ni-Cads that are
    over 35 years old. Although I never had one this age that has any amount
    of capacity to brag about.

    And I am sure you heard of recycling the battery is good for them. For
    Ni-Cads, this is really true. For other types including Ni-MH, lithium,
    and lead-acid, it offers little to no help. Although it is a good thing
    to do to learn the true capacity of a battery (of any type).

    Both Ni-Cad and Ni-MH it seems somewhat okay to let them sit on the
    shelf and let them drop to 0 volts. Not the best of course, but they can
    usually bounce right back. Lead-acid can drop to half of the voltage and
    if you recharge them within 24 hours, they seem to be able to take it
    too. Longer they might be able to take it, but capacity starts to drop
    off.

    Lithium though, somewhere around 3.2 volts per cell and if you try to
    recharge, you could have it burst into flames. They are very dangerous
    as far as rechargeable battery go. As charging with too low of a
    voltage, overcharging, and too many amps can cause it to burst into
    flames. No other battery type is all this bad.

    > Also, I've just dug out an old Thinkpad R31 and after the
    > first charge for probably at least a year it's just run flat after 2.5
    > hours.

    Sounds like a lithium battery. They only lose 2% per month which means
    they can last 50 months or over 4 years just sitting on the shelf.
    Although I won't let a lithium sit longer than 2 years without a
    recharge.

    > The battery on one of the few machines I've ever bought from
    > new (the Asus eeePC 701) goes flat from full if left for more that a
    > couple of weeks.

    Yes I too have 701s and 702s. That has nothing to do with the battery,
    but because the Celeron CPU doesn't totally shutdown (or some supporting
    circuits anyway). So it still uses power even when it is off. Although I
    have to run some more tests, but if you remove the battery briefly after
    shutdown, I think the drain problem is gone.

    >> All laptops that has a second battery works in this way AFAIK. This
    >> one that I am on also has a second battery. And a laptop doesn't
    >> care which battery it is getting its power from. So you can use only
    >> the main battery if you want, or remove the main battery and just
    >> have the second battery installed, or neither and just on AC alone.

    > That I understand, with working batteries etc, but what if say the
    > primary battery goes bad. Is it required to be in place and working to
    > allow (say) the modular / second battery in this Dell to be charged?

    Well I don't have that Dell model, but generally speaking... you should
    be able to remove the main battery and just use the second battery as
    your main battery. Most laptops don't care which one is installed or
    not.

    >> The big plus for two batteries of course is much longer running time.
    >> This one for example can run 10 hours alone from these two (virtually
    >> unheard of for laptops).

    > I think this Dell gave about 5 hours on both batteries when we first
    > got it and she does tend to use it from the battery initially at least
    > (if she knows she's going to be in a location for a while she'll plug
    > it in, if not she'll run from battery.

    That is why we use batteries in laptops for the most part. And while you
    can often read lithium can be recharged up to 500 times, I find this
    conservative. As I would agree if you only allow it to get down to 50%
    capacity and recharge, you might get 500 recharges out of them.

    Although if you use the full capacity say 5 times a week, you would be
    lucky to get 6 months or 150 recharges out of them. So if you use it a
    lot, the worry about it being gone after 2 or 3 years doesn't matter
    much. In that case, go ahead and leave it in the laptop as it won't make
    it that long anyway.

    >> Plus as long as one still has a charge, you can
    >> remove one battery and pop in another one while the laptop is still
    >> running.

    > Ok.
    >>
    >> It sounds like though, your daughter just needs enough battery power
    >> to go from one outlet to another.

    > Often but not always. ;-)

    Then a small capacity battery is the way to go. But using an almost dead
    battery (anything less than say 30 minutes of running time) would be a
    mistake IMHO.

    >> In that case, I would get either a new
    >> main battery or a second battery and don't worry about the other one
    >> and remove it. Of course, it is a gamble that none of the circuits
    >> have been already damaged.

    > Exactly (and an advantage to having another machine with the same
    > battery as I have with 3 old Compaqs).

    Yup that is what I do too. As I have three Gateway MX6124 and three
    Gateway M465e and they all use the same batteries and almost all of the
    same parts. And my three working EeePCs also use the same batteries and
    I have five of them.

    >> If this is too much of a gamble,

    > Well, it wouldn't be the end of the world as it could be re-sold on
    > eBay if it turns out to be the worst and we don't find a replacement
    > systemboard at the right price.

    True!

    >> the cheap way is just put the laptop in
    >> hibernate mode, then switch to another outlet.

    > Or shut it down (it's pretty quick to start and she isn't bothered
    > either way).

    Yes that works too if the reboot times are short enough.

    >> I don't know, I think
    >> this laptop takes 10 seconds to go in and out of hibernation with
    >> 2GB of RAM installed. But my old ('99) Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops with
    >> 192MB of RAM takes over 10 minutes to hibernate and to come back
    >> out. So your mileage may vary.

    > I have asked her several times if she's happy with her old Dell or
    > (considering what's happened to it of late) if she would like
    > something new(/er) and it seems she quite happy with her old Dell (CD
    > T2300, 1.66, 1G, 250G). ;-)

    I don't know what she does, but that is generally a very respectable
    machine.

    > I did offer her this R31 Thinkpad I'm sorting out but she likes a
    > trackpad (and I think I prefer one also).

    Oh yes and I can see why. ;-)

    BillW50, Jan 18, 2011
  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:21:44 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >> Understood. However, there is the benefit to having the battery in
    >> place all the time if you could either lose power via a power cut or
    >> simply having the DC plug pulled out. Built in UPS etc.

    >Yes of course, that is the only reason to have a battery installed if
    >used mostly on AC.

    Other than for the UPS function (if you don't want to /also/ carry a
    UPS about with you). ;-)

    > Although depending on the cost of the battery (I can
    >get ones for mine for about 40 bucks), a real UPS can be cheaper. Plus
    >you can run more than a laptop from them as well.

    Indeed.

    >Laptop batteries left in generally only last 2 to 3 years. While left
    >out, can last 10 years or more. And a real UPS, the battery generally
    >last 5 to 10 years running 24/7.

    And needs a sack barrow to move it. ;-)

    >Lithiums lose 2% of the charge per month. So a charge battery sitting
    >for a month should only lose 2% of its capacity.

    Ok.

    >> Also (when using a laptop on yer lap) I'm not sure I like the feel or
    >> idea of using a laptop with big holes underneath? Maybe if they made
    >> dummy batteries to fill up the space (or store some bits .. like USB
    >> cables <g>) then it might be better?

    >Sometimes you can find blanks that fill up the holes.

    Oh, not seen one of them though have (once) made my own from an old
    battery.

    > This laptop I have
    >here they make one for. Although I cut a piece of wood with slots and
    >everything and it works just fine. This one needs something there to
    >trip the trigger for the port replicator.

    Ah yes.

    >Although normally the hole shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that
    >should be in there are the battery connections. And nothing dangerous
    >should be there if there is no battery anyway. Although I wouldn't take
    >a coin and short the connectors out. So not poking metal in there and
    >you should be okay.

    Sure and I wasn't worried about that as such. It was more the
    discomfort of having a laptop on yer lap with a big hole and or sharp
    edge / unstable mass etc. As you say though, all that could be worth
    it to preserve the battery. Or you just treat them as a consumable as
    long as they are cheap and don't do any damage to the system as they
    age.

    <snip>

    >> But wouldn't that mean the battery would get very hot? If it was
    >> /consuming/ energy it had no way of absorbing then wouldn't that
    >> energy be converted to heat?

    >They do, but the laptop itself also acts like a huge heat sink.

    Aren't the batteries in their own plastic case and further outside the
    plastic case of the laptop itself (with an insulating air-gap etc)?

    FWIW I left the T22 Thinkpad on charge (with it's very low capacity
    battery) overnight and it ran cold.

    > So in a
    >way, that is the good news. The bad news is the circuits are pushing the
    >maximum they were designed to handle. That is okay short term, but not
    >if 24/7.

    Understood.

    >> Whilst I agree with your thinking and feel this is what may have
    >> happened in many of the cases I've seen I'd like to think the
    >> electronics and monitoring would deal with it in a more subtle way
    >> than cooking themselves. ;-(

    >Well you would think, but most of the safety focus is keeping the
    >lithium battery from bursting into flames. And just worrying about that
    >is tricky enough. Plus I think manufactures wants to make extra money on
    >the batteries they can sell you anyway.

    True.

    >I too use RC stuff. Although I mainly focus on flying RC. And things are
    >different there. As they have to be light enough to get off of the
    >ground, yet heavy enough to have longer flight times. Both are in total
    >opposition of each other.

    Indeed. It is remarkable what they are doing with model flight now and
    they are even racing full size electric motorbikes now I see! ;-)

    >> However, by the same voodoo I've got a set of Nicads in a radio I've
    >> been using for over 20 years now.

    >Ni-Cads are totally different than lithium. Care and feeding are totally
    >different too. And Ni-Cads are really safe as far as rechargeable
    >batteries goes.

    I've been present when quite a few have gone up, back in the early
    days of RC 12th scale cars and charging via a resistor. ;-)

    > Although in about 7 years of time they generally develop
    >whiskers (which short them out). Can happen much earlier if you say to
    >charge them backwards or so.

    I've zapped a few like that back into life though (possibly not 'good'
    but better than a dead battery).

    > By the way I have some Ni-Cads that are
    >over 35 years old.

    Trumped! ;-(

    >Although I never had one this age that has any amount
    >of capacity to brag about.

    Mine are a set of 4 7Ah 'D' cells. I think one is weak and so (as you
    say) inevitably becomes weaker.

    >And I am sure you heard of recycling the battery is good for them. For
    >Ni-Cads, this is really true.

    I have a discharge -> charger for the bigger cells (with a mAh
    readout) and a 'reconditioner' for AAA and AA cells that charges /
    discharges up to 4 cells (independently) till they reach a peak
    capacity value. If nothing else it's enabled me to weed out some of
    the bad cells and compare different brands of supposedly similar cells
    / types.

    > For other types including Ni-MH, lithium,
    >and lead-acid, it offers little to no help. Although it is a good thing
    >to do to learn the true capacity of a battery (of any type).

    Yup (see above).

    >Both Ni-Cad and Ni-MH it seems somewhat okay to let them sit on the
    >shelf and let them drop to 0 volts. Not the best of course, but they can
    >usually bounce right back.

    I've seen some very low voltage sells come back from the brink.

    >Lead-acid can drop to half of the voltage and
    >if you recharge them within 24 hours, they seem to be able to take it
    >too. Longer they might be able to take it, but capacity starts to drop
    >off.

    I have a calcium construction battery in the kitcar and that seems to
    be more resilient to prolonged over discharge than most other
    batteries I've had.

    >Lithium though, somewhere around 3.2 volts per cell and if you try to
    >recharge, you could have it burst into flames. They are very dangerous
    >as far as rechargeable battery go.

    And they don't like being rammed with a fork-lift when on a pallet.
    ;-(

    > As charging with too low of a
    >voltage, overcharging, and too many amps can cause it to burst into
    >flames. No other battery type is all this bad.

    Just as well by the sound of it.

    >> Also, I've just dug out an old Thinkpad R31 and after the
    >> first charge for probably at least a year it's just run flat after 2.5
    >> hours.

    >Sounds like a lithium battery.

    <Checks> Ni-MH.

    > They only lose 2% per month which means
    >they can last 50 months or over 4 years just sitting on the shelf.
    >Although I won't let a lithium sit longer than 2 years without a
    >recharge.

    Ok.

    >> The battery on one of the few machines I've ever bought from
    >> new (the Asus eeePC 701) goes flat from full if left for more that a
    >> couple of weeks.

    >Yes I too have 701s and 702s. That has nothing to do with the battery,
    >but because the Celeron

    (mine is Atom powered (Does that count as a Celeron?)

    > CPU doesn't totally shutdown (or some supporting
    >circuits anyway). So it still uses power even when it is off.

    Ah, that makes sense and now you mentioned I did leave the batter out
    for a test and /think/ it was ok (or much better).

    >Although I
    >have to run some more tests, but if you remove the battery briefly after
    >shutdown, I think the drain problem is gone.

    Will do.

    >> That I understand, with working batteries etc, but what if say the
    >> primary battery goes bad. Is it required to be in place and working to
    >> allow (say) the modular / second battery in this Dell to be charged?

    >Well I don't have that Dell model, but generally speaking... you should
    >be able to remove the main battery and just use the second battery as
    >your main battery. Most laptops don't care which one is installed or
    >not.

    That would be my hope bit if it is then I might have a bigger problem.

    >> I think this Dell gave about 5 hours on both batteries when we first
    >> got it and she does tend to use it from the battery initially at least
    >> (if she knows she's going to be in a location for a while she'll plug
    >> it in, if not she'll run from battery.

    >That is why we use batteries in laptops for the most part.

    Well there are some who use their kit only on the move ... like when
    commuting etc.

    > And while you
    >can often read lithium can be recharged up to 500 times, I find this
    >conservative. As I would agree if you only allow it to get down to 50%
    >capacity and recharge, you might get 500 recharges out of them.

    Ah.

    >Although if you use the full capacity say 5 times a week, you would be
    >lucky to get 6 months or 150 recharges out of them. So if you use it a
    >lot, the worry about it being gone after 2 or 3 years doesn't matter
    >much. In that case, go ahead and leave it in the laptop as it won't make
    >it that long anyway.

    True. ;-)

    >>> It sounds like though, your daughter just needs enough battery power
    >>> to go from one outlet to another.

    >> Often but not always. ;-)

    >Then a small capacity battery is the way to go. But using an almost dead
    >battery (anything less than say 30 minutes of running time) would be a
    >mistake IMHO.

    Understood. I've ordered one from eBay tonight so we will see.

    >> Exactly (and an advantage to having another machine with the same
    >> battery as I have with 3 old Compaqs).

    >Yup that is what I do too. As I have three Gateway MX6124 and three
    >Gateway M465e and they all use the same batteries and almost all of the
    >same parts. And my three working EeePCs also use the same batteries and
    >I have five of them.

    And I thought I was bad! ;-)

    >>> If this is too much of a gamble,

    >> Well, it wouldn't be the end of the world as it could be re-sold on
    >> eBay if it turns out to be the worst and we don't find a replacement
    >> systemboard at the right price.

    >True!

    I think I would find another D520 as it does seem a nice machine.
    Summat with a broken screen maybe.

    >> I have asked her several times if she's happy with her old Dell or
    >> (considering what's happened to it of late) if she would like
    >> something new(/er) and it seems she quite happy with her old Dell (CD
    >> T2300, 1.66, 1G, 250G). ;-)

    >I don't know what she does, but that is generally a very respectable
    >machine.

    Nothing really demanding but like most kids doesn't like to have to
    wait. I think it's mainly multitasking (or the task switching) than
    any one thing. For games she tends to use her desktop.

    >> I did offer her this R31 Thinkpad I'm sorting out but she likes a
    >> trackpad (and I think I prefer one also).

    >Oh yes and I can see why. ;-)

    Again, I think you can get used to them and for some things they feel
    better. Still not my preference though.

    Cheers, T i m
    T i m, Jan 19, 2011
  6. T i m

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    T i m typed on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:58:49 +0000:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:21:44 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> They do, but the laptop itself also acts like a huge heat sink.

    > Aren't the batteries in their own plastic case and further outside
    > then't drawing the plastic case of the laptop itself (with an
    > insulating air-gap etc)?

    Yes, although it isn't perfect and it still does transfer some of the
    heat.

    > FWIW I left the T22 Thinkpad on charge (with it's very low capacity
    > battery) overnight and it ran cold.

    Most of them do. Although there isn't enough heat to feel because the
    computer is off and it isn't drawing the maximum amount of current to do
    both jobs at once.

    <snip>

    >> Ni-Cads are totally different than lithium. Care and feeding are
    >> totally different too. And Ni-Cads are really safe as far as
    >> rechargeable batteries goes.

    > I've been present when quite a few have gone up, back in the early
    > days of RC 12th scale cars and charging via a resistor. ;-)

    Charging which type by resistor, Ni-Cads?

    >> Although in about 7 years of time they generally develop
    >> whiskers (which short them out). Can happen much earlier if you say
    >> to charge them backwards or so.

    > I've zapped a few like that back into life though (possibly not 'good'
    > but better than a dead battery).

    Yes I use to do that too. But I often found that once that happens, they
    generally don't have much of a lifespan after that anyway. Maybe you can
    get another year or two out of them in my experience.

    >> By the way I have some Ni-Cads that are
    >> over 35 years old.

    > Trumped! ;-(

    Well don't get too excited! As about 95% of all of the originals have
    long bit the dust and only a few of them made it this long. Plus the
    ones I have this long can't even run a flashlight more than a few
    seconds.

    >> Although I never had one this age that has any amount
    >> of capacity to brag about.

    > Mine are a set of 4 7Ah 'D' cells. I think one is weak and so (as you
    > say) inevitably becomes weaker.
    >
    >> And I am sure you heard of recycling the battery is good for them.
    >> For Ni-Cads, this is really true.

    > I have a discharge -> charger for the bigger cells (with a mAh
    > readout) and a 'reconditioner' for AAA and AA cells that charges /
    > discharges up to 4 cells (independently) till they reach a peak
    > capacity value. If nothing else it's enabled me to weed out some of
    > the bad cells and compare different brands of supposedly similar cells
    > / types.

    Yes. And this is the one I have. Although I have the earlier v1.

    http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3153.html

    >> For other types including Ni-MH, lithium,
    >> and lead-acid, it offers little to no help. Although it is a good
    >> thing to do to learn the true capacity of a battery (of any type).

    > Yup (see above).
    >>
    >> Both Ni-Cad and Ni-MH it seems somewhat okay to let them sit on the
    >> shelf and let them drop to 0 volts. Not the best of course, but they
    >> can usually bounce right back.

    > I've seen some very low voltage sells come back from the brink.
    >
    >> Lead-acid can drop to half of the voltage and
    >> if you recharge them within 24 hours, they seem to be able to take it
    >> too. Longer they might be able to take it, but capacity starts to
    >> drop off.

    > I have a calcium construction battery in the kitcar and that seems to
    > be more resilient to prolonged over discharge than most other
    > batteries I've had.

    Oh wow!

    >> Lithium though, somewhere around 3.2 volts per cell and if you try to
    >> recharge, you could have it burst into flames. They are very
    >> dangerous as far as rechargeable battery go.

    > And they don't like being rammed with a fork-lift when on a pallet.
    > ;-(

    Oh you have seen this happen?

    >> As charging with too low of a
    >> voltage, overcharging, and too many amps can cause it to burst into
    >> flames. No other battery type is all this bad.

    > Just as well by the sound of it.
    >>
    >>> Also, I've just dug out an old Thinkpad R31 and after the
    >>> first charge for probably at least a year it's just run flat after
    >>> 2.5 hours.

    >> Sounds like a lithium battery.

    > <Checks> Ni-MH.

    Oh fascinating! ;-)

    <snip>

    >> Yes I too have 701s and 702s. That has nothing to do with the
    >> battery, but because the Celeron

    > (mine is Atom powered (Does that count as a Celeron?)

    Are you sure? As all 700 series and just the 900 model should all have a
    Celeron 900MHz. With the exception of the 700 which has a Celeron 800MHz
    I believe.

    >> CPU doesn't totally shutdown (or some supporting
    >> circuits anyway). So it still uses power even when it is off.

    > Ah, that makes sense and now you mentioned I did leave the batter out
    > for a test and /think/ it was ok (or much better).
    >
    >> Although I
    >> have to run some more tests, but if you remove the battery briefly
    >> after shutdown, I think the drain problem is gone.

    > Will do.

    Let me know how that works out and I'll confirm with my tests. ;-)

    <snip>

    >>> Exactly (and an advantage to having another machine with the same
    >>> battery as I have with 3 old Compaqs).

    >> Yup that is what I do too. As I have three Gateway MX6124 and three
    >> Gateway M465e and they all use the same batteries and almost all of
    >> the same parts. And my three working EeePCs also use the same
    >> batteries and I have five of them.

    > And I thought I was bad! ;-)

    Yeah well... lots of companies and individuals like to brag how well
    their computer service is (which usually cost megabucks). But it is
    funny, say something terrible happened to this machine. I can swap say
    this hard drive in another like machine and I am back up in less than a
    minute. If the hard drive fails, well one machine has the last backup
    anyway. Sure beats calling somebody or handing your computer to somebody
    else, eh?

    BillW50, Jan 20, 2011
  7. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:01:08 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> Ni-Cads are totally different than lithium. Care and feeding are
    >>> totally different too. And Ni-Cads are really safe as far as
    >>> rechargeable batteries goes.

    >> I've been present when quite a few have gone up, back in the early
    >> days of RC 12th scale cars and charging via a resistor. ;-)

    >Charging which type by resistor, Ni-Cads?

    Yup. Most of the early RC electric car kits came with a ww resistor
    screwed to a bit of ally plate as a heatsink. I put my resistor in an
    ally box along with a clockwork electrical timer / switch as my memory
    was bad even then! What was amazing was what punishment the cells took
    in even the early days, running 10 min race and then going straight on
    charge (as most of us didn't have a second battery and they were
    'built-in' in any case) and doing that all evening.

    <snip>

    >Well don't get too excited! As about 95% of all of the originals have
    >long bit the dust and only a few of them made it this long. Plus the
    >ones I have this long can't even run a flashlight more than a few
    >seconds.

    My big 'Ds' still run the radio ok but we will see in 10 years time.
    ;-)

    <snip>

    >Yes. And this is the one I have. Although I have the earlier v1.
    >
    >http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3153.html

    That looks pretty snazzy.

    When I was racing electrathon machines I would borrow a batch of car
    batteries for the weekend then cycle them whilst monitoring them with
    a DMM and plotting the results on graph paper (with an alarm / timer
    to remind me to take the measurements). Then I could pick the best
    matched pair to race with for the season. ;-)

    <snip>

    >> And they don't like being rammed with a fork-lift when on a pallet.
    >> ;-(

    >Oh you have seen this happen?

    No but I read about it happening at an airport (I think it was) and
    that caused quite a few companies to be very twitchy about shipping
    the things (I bought a laptop battery from the States before I knew of
    such restrictions and to get someone over there to get it from the
    supplier and ship it privately).

    <snip>

    >>> Yes I too have 701s and 702s. That has nothing to do with the
    >>> battery, but because the Celeron

    >> (mine is Atom powered (Does that count as a Celeron?)

    >Are you sure? As all 700 series and just the 900 model should all have a
    >Celeron 900MHz. With the exception of the 700 which has a Celeron 800MHz
    >I believe.

    Not sure no <checks> Doh! Celeron M 900Mhz. ;-0

    <snip>

    >>> Although I
    >>> have to run some more tests, but if you remove the battery briefly
    >>> after shutdown, I think the drain problem is gone.

    >Let me know how that works out and I'll confirm with my tests. ;-)

    Will do.

    <snip>

    >> And I thought I was bad! ;-)

    >Yeah well... lots of companies and individuals like to brag how well
    >their computer service is (which usually cost megabucks). But it is
    >funny, say something terrible happened to this machine. I can swap say
    >this hard drive in another like machine and I am back up in less than a
    >minute. If the hard drive fails, well one machine has the last backup
    >anyway. Sure beats calling somebody or handing your computer to somebody
    >else, eh?

    Yup and why I have always built my own desktops since my first IBM
    PC-XP clone. Not only do you get more flexibility but each component
    is warranted so you rarely have to take the whole box back (as you
    say).

    Talking of having spares ... I popped into my mates PC shop yesterday
    to see if he had another model of Dell that might take Son In Laws
    battery so we might be able to isolate why his just stopped charging
    and started flashing the power LED as it does. Ironically he had the
    exact same model in for repair but with a broken charging socket and a
    flat battery so we couldn't test / prove much. However, nothing we did
    made a difference so I think we might be able to rule out his charger
    and battery, leaving possibly a broken DC socket?

    The lad who was covering for my mate in the shop buys pallet loads of
    laptops to repair / sell on so whilst not particularly technical has
    quite a bit of field knowledge about a whole range of machines and
    knows what is a common fault or how difficult a fix might be at a
    glance (he told us SILs Dell was either a 1525 or 1545 before he
    looked underneath .. and the do all look pretty similar these days (it
    was a 1545). He suggested that the octagonal power jack had an outer,
    an inner and a centre pin and if a particular combination of those get
    broken off at the socket / board you can get charging but no power,
    power but no charging or nothing etc etc. Does that sound plausible to
    you? FWIW it does tally with when the fault started as it was his mum
    tripping over the power cable and the plug being yanked out? ;-( [1]

    He also added that those models were b"stards to strip as bits were
    held in with plastic clips (that often snap) rather than screws etc.
    ;-(

    Oh, while we were these I noticed a Compaq Evo N400c on a dock in a
    pile of old laptops. I asked him about it and he reckoned it needed a
    new inverter and DC socket but he couldn't be bothered and would stick
    it on eBay as-was. He said he'd only get 15 quid for it but as I'd
    already got one I gave him the 15 quid and brought it home. With a
    charged battery and on an external monitor it works ok so that's a
    start. ;-)

    I'll order a new DC socket off eBay and once fitted / working I'll
    swap the displays between machines to make sure it /is/ a screen issue
    (I just bought a spare / working display for my R31 Thinkpad but that
    doesn't work either) . ;-(

    Cheers, T i m

    [1] About the only thing I like about the Apple laptops is the
    'MagSafe' connector. ;-)

    p.s. While I was looking for the Evo I dug out 'Old faithful' .. my
    Dell Inspiron 8100! Now you know what you have that on yer lap! (I was
    given it with no backlight and replaced the CCFL (fiddley / delicate
    job) and I got it from the States for half the price I would have to
    pay here).
    T i m, Jan 22, 2011
  8. T i m

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 22, 4:02 am, T i m <> wrote:
> [...]

    > already got one I gave him the 15 quid and brought it home. With a
    > charged battery and on an external monitor it works ok so that's a
    > start. ;-)
    >
    > I'll order a new DC socket off eBay and once fitted / working I'll
    > swap the displays between machines to make sure it /is/ a screen issue
    > (I just bought a spare / working display for my R31 Thinkpad but that
    > doesn't work either) . ;-(
    >
    > Cheers, T i m
    >
    > [1] About the only thing I like about the Apple laptops is the
    > 'MagSafe' connector. ;-)
    >
    > p.s. While I was looking for the Evo I dug out 'Old faithful' .. my
    > Dell Inspiron 8100! Now you know what you have that on yer lap! (I was
    > given it with no backlight and replaced the CCFL (fiddley / delicate
    > job) and I got it from the States for half the price I would have to

    Good God...maybe you guys should email! ;-p
    Bob Villa, Jan 22, 2011
  9. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:01:16 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    <big snip for Bob> ;-)

    >Good God...maybe you guys should email! ;-p

    Maybe, but it's /mostly/ about laptops ('n' batteries / electronics)
    and it's not exactly buzzin on here atm eh?

    Anyway, now you have read it all (ta), any practical suggestions re
    our / my laptop woes please?

    Cheers, T i m (going back to finding why anything later than Ubuntu
    9.10 won't boot / run / show video (from a LiveCD) on my Dell Inspiron
    8100 ... ) ;-(
    T i m, Jan 23, 2011
  10. T i m

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 22, 6:01 pm, T i m <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:01:16 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <big snip for Bob> ;-)
    >

    > >Good God...maybe you guys should email! ;-p

    > Maybe, but it's /mostly/ about laptops ('n' batteries / electronics)
    > and it's not exactly buzzin on here atm eh?
    >
    > Anyway, now you have read it all (ta), any practical suggestions re
    > our / my laptop woes please?
    >
    > Cheers, T i m (going back to finding why anything later than Ubuntu
    > 9.10 won't boot / run / show video (from a LiveCD) on my Dell Inspiron
    > 8100 ... )  ;-(

    No, I'm looking at replacing a Dell battery only a yr and a half old.
    I've been warning the eldest daughter about suffocating her machine
    for as long and I am pissed. She will, at least, have to pay for half.

    Take Care
    Bob Villa, Jan 23, 2011
  11. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:01:55 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >> Cheers, T i m (going back to finding why anything later than Ubuntu
    >> 9.10 won't boot / run / show video (from a LiveCD) on my Dell Inspiron
    >> 8100 ... )  ;-(

    I ended up with the (original XP and) Mint 8 (but thanks for asking).
    ;-)

    >No, I'm looking at replacing a Dell battery only a yr and a half old.

    I guess that could be considered 'ok' if it died by natural causes /
    cycles etc?

    >I've been warning the eldest daughter about suffocating her machine
    >for as long and I am pissed.

    Ah, now that one pisses me as well.

    I was given a fairly nice Dell to look at my a mate and it had an
    intermittent video and WiFi fault that was 'known' to be typical of
    the machine being overheated. Now I have stripped a fair few machines
    down and they can get /very/ bunged up with fluff, dust and dog hairs
    etc, but this one was quite clean that way. I asked them if it was
    ever used on a bed or sofa etc and they said it could be. I explained
    the error of doing so (on some machines). We sent the thing off to be
    re solder flowed, came back ok with a full speed fan mod and when I
    gave it back I re-emphasised the fact that it should /never/ be left
    on something soft or that the air intake (underneath) should be
    blocked. A month later it had 'gone' again and lss, was sent be to be
    sorted under the repair warranty. The guy kindly did it for them but
    said that would be the last time. When I gave it back again I stressed
    the use of the laptop on a tray or hard surface and that I too
    wouldn't be interested in looking at it again for them (especially as
    this was as 'a favour' as her Dad has helped me a few times) so they
    then bought one of those USB cooled laptop tray things and it's been
    fine ever since.

    > She will, at least, have to pay for half.

    I think that's sometimes what they need to get the point across. Along
    with getting the 'family' PC all virused up then not contributing when
    it has to be taken into a shop.

    But I don't think this attitude stops at computers but is often across
    the board. I found my first bicycle in a ditch, handed it into the
    Police, collected it 6 weeks later, rebuilt it and used it as my main
    transport and cycle trips for a few years. Whilst my parents may well
    have bought me a bike I didn't think / dream to ask.

    Our daughter passed her Motorbike test but has no real interest in
    taking her car test (even though she's a pretty competent driver). Why
    do we have to 'get her interested' and actually want to drive the car
    we bought and got on the road for her. [1] We don't care if she ever
    drives after passing her test but that she just gets on and passes the
    test test'. We want her to because we know it will be an asset to her
    and her future (jobs / life etc).

    Before we bought it off her current b/f they drove it down from
    Scotland (400 miles), half of which was with the oil light on because
    halfway it had developed an oil leak and had pissed half it's oil on
    the floor.

    "Did you stop asap and check the oil?"

    "Em, no ..?" [2]

    <sigh>

    Cheers, T i m

    [1] If my parents had bought me a car (even a banger) when I was 20
    I'd be wanting to drive it 24/7? Different times / people I guess.

    [2] They are both tree workers (chainsaw tickets etc) but their
    machine maintenance training doesn't seem to cross over into their
    daily life.
    T i m, Jan 23, 2011
  12. T i m

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 23, 5:20 am, T i m <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:01:55 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

    Here we say "beater" instead of "banger". Ours' is a '95 Saturn and
    we have less than $500 in repair cost. (actually part replacement).
    My kids are 6xx, 15xy, and 18xx. The 18 yo uses more energy (NatGas,
    water, electricity) than all of us combined!
    The boy is extra low maintenance...like I was.
    Some cars...by the time the oil light comes on...your motor is toast!

    When I was young (and before I had a license) I used to "borrow"
    vehicles and go for rides. Once, I asked mom (she was sleepy) if I
    could take my brother's company van for a spin and she nodded.

    Things are very different in this age of over-stimulation.

    Take care,
    bob_V
    Bob Villa, Jan 23, 2011
  13. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 06:23:43 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 23, 5:20 am, T i m <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:01:55 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    >>

    >Here we say "beater" instead of "banger".

    Separated by a common language. ;-)

    > Ours' is a '95 Saturn and
    >we have less than $500 in repair cost. (actually part replacement).

    Not bad indeed.

    >My kids are 6xx, 15xy, and 18xx. The 18 yo uses more energy (NatGas,
    >water, electricity) than all of us combined!

    Hehe.

    >The boy is extra low maintenance...like I was.

    Daughter isn't too bad that way. Prefers motorbikes and chainsaws to
    cars and handbags.

    >Some cars...by the time the oil light comes on...your motor is toast!

    I'm pretty sure it didn't do it any /good/ as such but seems to have
    survived. Ironically it turned out to be the oil pressure switch
    leaking so whilst the oil was very low on the dipstick I think the
    light was partly down to the lack of calibrated functionality rather
    than anything else (luckily).

    >When I was young (and before I had a license) I used to "borrow"
    >vehicles and go for rides.

    I had my own to do similar on <weg>.

    > Once, I asked mom (she was sleepy) if I
    >could take my brother's company van for a spin and she nodded.

    Hehe.

    >Things are very different in this age of over-stimulation.

    Yup, so it seems.

    I was watching a 2.5yr old 'using' an iPod yesterday .. ;-)

    Cheers, T i m
    T i m, Jan 23, 2011