    board ? Has anyone gotten a Big drive to work with Tiger 133 ?

    Thank you,

    -Sanjay

    Sanjay Kumar, Mar 24, 2006

  2. "Sanjay Kumar" <> wrote in message
    news:i8SUf.1061$...
    > Hi Folks !
    >
    > I have a dual processor Tyan 133 (S1834), WIndows 2000 system.
    > I just got a Maxtor 250Gb drive and to my surprise on-board Ultra 66
    > controller
    > recognizes only 131 GB (according to Partition Magic). Tried putting the
    > disk
    > on Promise Ultra 66 controller and it still doesn't go beyond the well
    > known limit of 137GB. I tried to flash the Bios but this being such an old
    > motherboard I am wondering if that will be enough. Will an Ultra 133
    > controller unlock the drive capacity or am I stuck with lower capacity
    > under I move to a newer mother board ? Has anyone gotten a Big drive to
    > work with Tiger 133 ?

    I'm not sure why you think the controller only recognizes 131GB or what
    specifically partition magic told you. I think you're completely
    misunderstanding what you're being told. For example, partition magic may be
    telling you that there's a 131GB partition on your drive or that its
    partition table is for a 131GB drive, none of which has anything to do with
    the size of the drive as seen by the controller.

    http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

    DS

    David Schwartz, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Sanjay Kumar

    Bob Babcock Guest

    Sanjay Kumar <> wrote in

    > Hi Folks !
    >
    > I have a dual processor Tyan 133 (S1834), WIndows 2000 system.
    > I just got a Maxtor 250Gb drive and to my surprise on-board Ultra 66
    > controller recognizes only 131 GB (according to Partition Magic).

    I don't have any 1834s in use any more, but as I recall, the trick with big
    disks was to set the CMOS to autodetect, then the size would be properly
    detected at each boot. I'm not sure how big a disk will work this way.
    Also, Win/2K needs SP3 or later and a registry tweak:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305098

    Bob Babcock, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Sanjay Kumar

    Sanjay Kumar Guest

    I downloaded Maxtor MaxBlast and that solved the problem. It made
    the registry fix so WIndows 2000 could recognize > 137 GB partitions.
    It also let me partition and copied boot records and files to new
    disk. Very nice tool.

    Sanjay Kumar, Mar 26, 2006