[UK] What value this used 2800+ Sepron PC I saw?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by andrew, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. andrew

    andrew Guest

    I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay
    and I couldn't get a price match.

    What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.

    Sempron 2800+
    Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    CD-R only
    small 40 GB hard drive
    XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)

    In quite good condition.

    £100? £120? £140?

    1. Advertising

  2. Palindrome

    Palindrome Guest

    andrew wrote:
    > I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay
    > and I couldn't get a price match.
    >
    > What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    > bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >
    > Sempron 2800+
    > Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    > 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    > CD-R only
    > small 40 GB hard drive
    > XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >
    > In quite good condition.
    >
    > £100? £120? £140?

    Here's what you can get for £120 + carraige:

    "Dell Optiplex 755 small form factor PC, E4300 Core2Duo CPU (2.2Ghz),
    1GB DDR2 RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD-ROM, 6x USB 2.0 ports, parallel/serial
    ports, Intel 965 onboard graphics. Fantastic little box and seriously
    quick. 120 quid plus post gets it.

    Email if interested."

    --
    Sue

    1. Advertising

  3. Surfer!

    Surfer! Guest

    In message <Xns9B78D12739B24451E7A@204.153.245.20>, andrew
    <> writes
    >I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay
    >and I couldn't get a price match.
    >
    >What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    >bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >
    > Sempron 2800+
    > Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    > 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    > CD-R only
    > small 40 GB hard drive
    > XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >
    >In quite good condition.
    >
    >£100? £120? £140?

    £50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

    --
    Surfer!
    Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

  4. Lou Ravi

    Lou Ravi Guest

    Surfer! wrote:
    > In message <Xns9B78D12739B24451E7A@204.153.245.20>, andrew
    > <> writes
    >> I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay
    >> and I couldn't get a price match.
    >>
    >> What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    >> bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >>
    >> Sempron 2800+
    >> Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    >> 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    >> CD-R only
    >> small 40 GB hard drive
    >> XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >>
    >> In quite good condition.
    >>
    >> £100? £120? £140?

    > £50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

    Tight bastard ;-)

    I'll offer 65.

  5. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:33:38 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay and
    > I couldn't get a price match.
    >
    > What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer bought
    > from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >
    > Sempron 2800+
    > Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear 512 MB memory
    > (fills both slots)
    > CD-R only
    > small 40 GB hard drive
    > XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >
    > In quite good condition.
    >
    > £100? £120? £140?

    Wouldn't have much value here. Maybe US$75 if the case and PSU where
    decent.

  6. Surfer!

    Surfer! Guest

    In message <494ac543$0$9423$>, Lou Ravi
    <> writes
    >Surfer! wrote:
    >> In message <Xns9B78D12739B24451E7A@204.153.245.20>, andrew
    >> <> writes
    >>> I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on ebay
    >>> and I couldn't get a price match.
    >>>
    >>> What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    >>> bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >>>
    >>> Sempron 2800+
    >>> Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    >>> 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    >>> CD-R only
    >>> small 40 GB hard drive
    >>> XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >>>
    >>> In quite good condition.
    >>>
    >>> £100? £120? £140?

    >> £50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

    >Tight bastard ;-)
    >
    >I'll offer 65.

    You must have too much money....

    --

  7. On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:06:59 +0000, Surfer! <surfer@127.0.0.1>
    wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

    > In message <494ac543$0$9423$>, Lou Ravi
    ><> writes
    >>Surfer! wrote:
    >>> In message <Xns9B78D12739B24451E7A@204.153.245.20>, andrew
    >>> <> writes

    >>> £50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

    >>Tight bastard ;-)
    >>
    >>I'll offer 65.

    > You must have too much money....

    He lives in France so he'll probably be taking advantage of the exchange
    rate.

    mh.
    --
    http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
    http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

    From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

  8. Lou Ravi

    Lou Ravi Guest

    Surfer! wrote:
    > In message <494ac543$0$9423$>, Lou Ravi
    > <> writes
    >> Surfer! wrote:
    >>> In message <Xns9B78D12739B24451E7A@204.153.245.20>, andrew
    >>> <> writes

    >>> £50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

    >> Tight bastard ;-)
    >>
    >> I'll offer 65.

    > You must have too much money....

    I work in Euros so 65 quid is equivalent to about 45 a few months ago
    ;-)

  9. Lou Ravi

    Lou Ravi Guest

    Marcus Houlden wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:06:59 +0000, Surfer! <surfer@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
    >
    >> In message <494ac543$0$9423$>, Lou Ravi
    >> <> writes

    >>> Tight bastard ;-)
    >>>
    >>> I'll offer 65.

    >> You must have too much money....

    > He lives in France so he'll probably be taking advantage of the
    > exchange rate.

    Indeed. I've suddenly become 'rich' without doing anything. Vive l'Euro

  10. Lou Ravi

    Lou Ravi Guest

    John Jordan wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >>
    >> What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
    >> bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >>
    >> Sempron 2800+
    >> Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    >> 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    >> CD-R only
    >> small 40 GB hard drive
    >> XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)

    > More likely it means a bogus VLK install. If it doesn't have an AGP
    > slot on the motherboard, the individual components are all close to
    > worthless.
    >> £100? £120? £140?

    > Remove the first digit and you have the right sort of range :)

    I'll take the 00 then.

  11. andrew

    andrew Guest

    On Thu 18 Dec08 22:18, Synapse Syndrome
    <> wrote

    > andrew <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on
    >> ebay and I couldn't get a price match.
    >>
    >> What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a
    >> dealer bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.
    >>
    >> Sempron 2800+
    >> Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
    >> 512 MB memory (fills both slots)
    >> CD-R only
    >> small 40 GB hard drive
    >> XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)
    >>
    >> In quite good condition.
    >>
    >> 100? 120? 140?

    > I gave away a Sempron 3400+ (maybe 3200+?) with a Foxconn
    > motherboard, 30GB and 40GB disks, 512MB RAM, CD-ROM player, and
    > speakers, for free a few weeks ago. I had it knocking around
    > doing nothing for over a year, but a friend of my brother said
    > he would be interested in having it, as he did not have a
    > computer of his own.

    The Sempron 2800+ must be a decent enough processor (ok so yours was
    faster) so why is that system worth so little?

    I'm on an Athlon 2100+ (Via 266 chipset) and figured the Sempron 2800
    would be a step up. No?

  12. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:43:37 GMT
    andrew <> wrote:

    > The Sempron 2800+ must be a decent enough processor (ok so yours was
    > faster) so why is that system worth so little?

    The license is probably corporate, so worthless (non-transferable).
    Look at eBay completed listings for the other stuff:
    CPU ~ £10
    HD ~ £10
    MoBo ~ £15
    CDR ~ £1

    > I'm on an Athlon 2100+ (Via 266 chipset) and figured the Sempron 2800
    > would be a step up. No?

    Go to somewhere like eBuyer and you can buy the bits to build a system
    with e.g. Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 160GB HD and 2GB RAM for £160[1].
    That's without an optical drive or operating system, but presumably you
    have those already, and it will provide a noticeable improvement over
    your current system.

    [1] That's with a cheap case/PSU, although not the cheapest. Most
    people would probably advise you to get something better - if the PSU
    fails it can take other stuff with it, and a better case will often
    have better cooling, which may prolong the life of other components.