Ultra 10 HW questions

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Wes Groleau, Sep 13, 2008.

  1. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I bought an Ultra 10 for $20, no monitor or keyboard.

    I see that the two 128MB RAM cards have the same socket
    168-pin as PC-133. Are they different? Are there any
    rules about balancing sizes or using certain sockets first?

    Given the CPU power of a Sparc of that era, is 256 MB
    adequate for using Solaris as merely a DNS server, web
    proxy, and fileserver? What if I used a Linux distro
    instead?

    Sun's sales-oriented data sheet say 440MHz processor,
    but all the Ultra 10s I've looked at so far on eBay
    say 333MHz. Did Sun change that during the Mfg.
    life of the model? Can I tell which I've got without
    actually booting it up?

    I saw a motherboard on eBay which also had a picture
    on one chip on it. I assume that was the processor
    (why else would they picture that particular chip?).
    But mine has a piggyback board with a heatsink
    big enough to cover two such chips. Is it a dual-CPU
    enhancement?

    Where can I find hardware docs that identify connectors
    and jumpers? I've found a couple of PDFs but they
    did not have that sort of info.

    thanks

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------
    Wes Groleau, Sep 13, 2008

  2. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Josh McKee wrote:
    > You can identify the specific process you have by reading the part
    > number off of the processor. It should be in the form of 501-xxxx where
    > xxxx denotes the processor type. For example the 440MHz processor has
    > part number 501-5149. You can type the part number into Google to find
    > out which one you have.

    Thanks for all the helpful information!

    On this one, the heatsink had a 340-4??1-01 inked or painted
    but I could not read the two digits. They had rounded tops,
    so 3, 8, or 0. There was a sticker lower that said 4379-05
    but no 501. I googled

    sun "4379-05"

    and found a few pages. Most had 501- in front of the number.
    None explicitly identified what the number meant as they were
    mentioning it in passing while discussing something else.
    However, from at least one of them, I think I deduced that
    it's 300 MHz

    At first glance that sounds slower than my eight-year old iMac,
    _but_ since it is a 64-bit Sparc, it's more than enough for a
    file/DNS/proxy server on a four host LAN.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Words of the Wild Wes(t) = http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW
    Wes Groleau, Sep 13, 2008

  3. Wes Groleau

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    > I bought an Ultra 10 for $20, no monitor or keyboard.

    Good price -- but you will probably want a keyboard, unless you
    set up another computer to run a terminal program and connect to serial
    port 'A'. With no keyboard, it will *only* talk to serial port 'A'
    (TTYA) no matter what framebuffers (graphics cards) and monitors you
    have. The default settings for TTYA should be:

    ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
    ttya-ignore-cd=true
    ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

    These settings are in the OBP (Open Boot Prom), and can be (and may have
    been) changed. If so, you'll have to try various baud rates and other
    settings until you get one which works.

    The keyboard is unique to Sun -- at least with that connector
    and some of the extra keys present. Especially avoid using a keyboard
    labeled "Solbourne". It uses the same connector, but a different
    pinout, and plugging in that keyboard will blow a non-replaceable fuse on
    the system board.

    Just about any Sun keyboard offered on eBay which is not marked
    "USB" should work. Type 5 or type 6 would probably be the best choices.

    > I see that the two 128MB RAM cards have the same socket
    > 168-pin as PC-133. Are they different? Are there any
    > rules about balancing sizes or using certain sockets first?

    From the Sun FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook):

    1. The minimum memory requirement os two DIMMS in any bank.

    (The two sockets closest to the board edge are "bank 0",
    the other two "bank 1"

    Choices are 32, 64, 128, and 255 MB DIMMs.

    > Given the CPU power of a Sparc of that era, is 256 MB
    > adequate for using Solaris as merely a DNS server, web
    > proxy, and fileserver? What if I used a Linux distro
    > instead?

    Actually -- for that, I would use OpenBSD instead. Less load on
    the CPU, and it makes a great firewall using PF (Packet Filter) which
    comes as part of it. But Linux would probably be less of a load than
    Solaris 10 at least. (And Solaris 8 is the earliest which will run with
    it.)

    > Sun's sales-oriented data sheet say 440MHz processor,
    > but all the Ultra 10s I've looked at so far on eBay
    > say 333MHz. Did Sun change that during the Mfg.
    > life of the model? Can I tell which I've got without
    > actually booting it up?

    There were two different families of system boards. These are
    the possible barcodes on a label on the board. (Note that the '-' is
    probably not present, so look for one which starts with 375, the next
    four digits tell which version it is,

    Board Possible CPU speed
    375-0009 300 or 330 MHz.

    375-0066 333/360 MHz
    375-0079 333/360/440 MHz
    375-0115 360/440 MHz

    CPU modules:
    Ultra 5
    501-4477 270 MHz
    501-5039 270 MHz
    Ultra 10
    501-4379 300 MHz
    501-5040 300 MHz
    Ultra 5 & 10
    501-5090 333 MHz
    501-5568 333 MHz
    Ultra 5
    501-5148 360 MHz
    Ultra 10
    501-5222 360 MHz
    Ultra 5
    501-5740 400 MHz
    501-5741 400 MHz
    Ultra 10
    501-5149 440 MHz

    I don't see what keeps a CPU for one from working in the other
    system. Anyway -- look for a barcode on the system board to identify it
    (including how it was likely to have been originally shipped), and look
    for a barcode on the CPU module to see how fast it is. (There were 256 K
    Cache boards in the early lot, and 2 MB Cache boards in the later ones.

    > I saw a motherboard on eBay which also had a picture
    > on one chip on it. I assume that was the processor
    > (why else would they picture that particular chip?).

    Maybe they were trying to show the barcode on the CPU module?

    > But mine has a piggyback board with a heatsink
    > big enough to cover two such chips. Is it a dual-CPU
    > enhancement?

    There are two chips under the CPU module.

    > Where can I find hardware docs that identify connectors
    > and jumpers? I've found a couple of PDFs but they
    > did not have that sort of info.

    Look for the FEH pages for the system barcode which you have,
    but they are not very different, and unless you need to update the FLASH
    to get a more recent OPB (Open Boot Prom) installed, you are unlikely to
    have to change any jumpers. It is not like a Windows box, where you
    have to change jumpers to tell it how much RAM it has. These self
    analyze and configure.

    However -- the jumper blocks which are documented for the first
    of the boards in the FEH are:
    Jumper Pins Setting Description
    JD1 1-2 Out Composite video synchronization
    JP1 1-1 In Select PROM (default)
    JP1 2-3 in Select ROMBO
    JP2 1-2 in FPROM write protect (default)
    JP2 2-3 In FPROM write enable
    JP3 1-2 In RS-232
    JP3 2-3 In RS-423 (default)
    JP4 1-2 In RS-232
    JP4 2-3 In RS-423 (default)
    JP6 1-2 N/A Not stuffed
    JP7 1-2 N/A Not stuffed
    JP8 1-2 In Simba Clock Normal (default)
    JP8 2-3 In Simba Clock Input Test
    JP9 1-2 In Simba Clock Input Normal (default)
    JP9 2-3 In Simba Clock Input Test
    JP10 1-2 Out Bypass CPU in scan chain
    JP10 2-3 In Include CPU in scan chain (default)
    JP11 1-10 N/A Not stuffed

    Misc Connectors
    Conn Pins Description
    J7 1-20 Asynchronous Serial Port B
    J8 1-26 Parallel port
    J9 1-4 CD-ROM audio
    J10 1-24 ROMBO
    J17 1-4 LED and soft reset switch
    J18 1-4 Speaker
    J19 1-3 DC fan power
    J20 1-8 Unknown
    J21 1-8 JTAG
    J22 1-2 Not Stuffed
    J23 1-1 Not Stuffed
    J24 1-2 Unknown

    The second board layout is pretty much the same.

    Sun Ultra 10 Service Manual, 805-7764

    it should be downloadable in PDF format.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Sep 14, 2008
  4. Wes Groleau

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    > Josh McKee wrote:
    >> You can identify the specific process you have by reading the part
    >> number off of the processor. It should be in the form of 501-xxxx where
    >> xxxx denotes the processor type. For example the 440MHz processor has
    >> part number 501-5149. You can type the part number into Google to find
    >> out which one you have.

    > Thanks for all the helpful information!
    >
    > On this one, the heatsink had a 340-4??1-01 inked or painted
    > but I could not read the two digits. They had rounded tops,
    > so 3, 8, or 0. There was a sticker lower that said 4379-05
    > but no 501. I googled

    Hmm ... that could be the part number for the heatsink itself.
    The number you want should be right by a barcode (which translates to
    the same number).

    And it *may* be that the barcode label is on the underside of
    the CPU module. Download the service manual (or the manual for
    upgrading a CPU to 440 MHz) for guidance on removing and replacing the
    CPU module. The service manual is worth while having anyway. The ones
    on software will probably be assuming Solaris 8, not the Solaris 10
    which is the current choice.

    I've noticed that the barcode numbers on the CPU modules for Sun
    Blade 1000 and 2000 systems is black text and bars on an orange plastic.
    I don't remember whether it went back as far as the Ultra 5 & 10. (The
    Ultra 5 and 10 mostly differ in the size and format of the chassis. The
    same system boards can be in either -- though a 10 is more likely to be
    faster. Let's see what my Ultra-5 and 10 systems have:

    Ultra-10 300 MHz,
    Ultra-5 333 MHz
    Ultra-10 440 MHz

    so my Ultra-10s bracket the Ultra-5. :)

    > sun "4379-05"
    >
    > and found a few pages. Most had 501- in front of the number.
    > None explicitly identified what the number meant as they were
    > mentioning it in passing while discussing something else.
    > However, from at least one of them, I think I deduced that
    > it's 300 MHz

    I believe that it should tell you when you power it up, with a
    Sun keyboard connected to the system and a monitor, or with a serial
    terminal connected to the 25-pin serial port, ttya. You can then stop
    it from continuing to boot (assuming that it has an OS installed at all)
    by (on the Sun keyboard) Holding down the "Stop" key as though it were
    as "Shift" or "Control" key, and pressing the 'A' key. On a serial
    terminal, you need to send a break. If it is a real serial terminal,
    you should have a "Break" key (though it tends to hide on DEC VT-???
    terminals. :) If you are using a terminal emulator program, look up how
    to send a break *first* because you may be in a hurry when trying to
    stop a boot. :)

    > At first glance that sounds slower than my eight-year old iMac,
    > _but_ since it is a 64-bit Sparc, it's more than enough for a
    > file/DNS/proxy server on a four host LAN.

    I think so. The 333 MHz Ultra-5 is serving as a firewall
    running OpenBSD.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >> Given the CPU power of a Sparc of that era, is 256 MB
    >> adequate for using Solaris as merely a DNS server, web
    >> proxy, and fileserver? What if I used a Linux distro
    >> instead?

    > Actually -- for that, I would use OpenBSD instead. Less load on
    > the CPU, and it makes a great firewall using PF (Packet Filter) which
    > comes as part of it. But Linux would probably be less of a load than
    > Solaris 10 at least. (And Solaris 8 is the earliest which will run with

    Well, my firewall is my router. And I'm much more familiar
    with Solaris than OpenBSD, even though Solaris hasn't been
    my job since 2003. So really, I truly am thinking just
    DNS, web cache, and extra disk space.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Indefinite article
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=421
    Wes Groleau, Sep 14, 2008
  6. * Wes Groleau:
    > I bought an Ultra 10 for $20, no monitor or keyboard.
    >
    > I see that the two 128MB RAM cards have the same socket
    > 168-pin as PC-133. Are they different?

    Yes, they are. The U10 uses standard EDO DIMMs and not SDRAM (which is
    what PC133 is). While not very common in PCs EDO DIMMs were quite common
    in old Pentium2/3 XEON-based servers.

    > Given the CPU power of a Sparc of that era, is 256 MB
    > adequate for using Solaris as merely a DNS server, web
    > proxy, and fileserver?

    Yes, but your expectations regarding file server performance should not
    be very high. The U10 was already a low cost design when it came out.

    > What if I used a Linux distro
    > instead?

    You basically replace an OS that perfectly supports the U10's hardware
    with something that might work good enough but under the hood is more of
    a mess.

    > Sun's sales-oriented data sheet say 440MHz processor,
    > but all the Ultra 10s I've looked at so far on eBay
    > say 333MHz. Did Sun change that during the Mfg.
    > life of the model?

    No, they just decided that producing 440MHzs models only is silly and
    thus made models with other clock speeds as well ;-)

    > I saw a motherboard on eBay which also had a picture
    > on one chip on it. I assume that was the processor
    > (why else would they picture that particular chip?).
    > But mine has a piggyback board with a heatsink
    > big enough to cover two such chips. Is it a dual-CPU
    > enhancement?

    No, U10 is single processor only.

    > Where can I find hardware docs that identify connectors
    > and jumpers? I've found a couple of PDFs but they
    > did not have that sort of info.

    Should be in docs.sun.com

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 14, 2008
  7. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Wes Groleau:
    >> Where can I find hardware docs that identify connectors
    >> and jumpers? I've found a couple of PDFs but they
    >> did not have that sort of info.

    > Should be in docs.sun.com

    Thanks. So far, the best I've found is a line drawing
    of the back with labels for everything--but the lines
    from the labels, instead of pointing to parts, point
    into empty space to the right of the computer! :)

    But there are quite a few docs there, and I haven't
    finished hunting through them.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    In any formula, constants (especially those obtained
    from handbooks) are to be treated as variables.
    Wes Groleau, Sep 15, 2008
  8. Wes Groleau <> writes:
    >Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> * Wes Groleau:
    >>> Where can I find hardware docs that identify connectors
    >>> and jumpers? I've found a couple of PDFs but they
    >>> did not have that sort of info.

    >> Should be in docs.sun.com

    >Thanks. So far, the best I've found is a line drawing
    >of the back with labels for everything--but the lines
    >from the labels, instead of pointing to parts, point
    >into empty space to the right of the computer! :)

    >But there are quite a few docs there, and I haven't
    >finished hunting through them.

    http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/805-7764-12/805-7764-12.pdf

    Starting Page C-37.

    Not much too it though, it is close to a PC motherboard.
    Doug McIntyre, Sep 15, 2008
  9. Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Josh McKee wrote:
    >> You can identify the specific process you have by reading the part
    >> number off of the processor. It should be in the form of 501-xxxx
    >> where xxxx denotes the processor type. For example the 440MHz
    >> processor has part number 501-5149. You can type the part number into
    >> Google to find out which one you have.

    > Thanks for all the helpful information!
    >
    > On this one, the heatsink had a 340-4??1-01 inked or painted
    > but I could not read the two digits. They had rounded tops,
    > so 3, 8, or 0. There was a sticker lower that said 4379-05
    > but no 501. I googled
    >
    > sun "4379-05"
    >
    > and found a few pages. Most had 501- in front of the number.
    > None explicitly identified what the number meant as they were
    > mentioning it in passing while discussing something else.
    > However, from at least one of them, I think I deduced that
    > it's 300 MHz
    >
    > At first glance that sounds slower than my eight-year old iMac,
    > _but_ since it is a 64-bit Sparc, it's more than enough for a
    > file/DNS/proxy server on a four host LAN.

    Its possible to overclock, i use a 440MHz at 480MHz, not much i know :)
    example:
    ok nvedit
    0: also hidden
    1: d# 480 at-speed
    2:
    ok nvstore
    ok setenv use-nvramrc? true
    ok reset-all
    Resetting ...
    Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 480MHz), No Keyboard
    OpenBoot 3.31, 1024 MB (50 ns) memory installed, Serial #X0678958.
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:a2:f2:ax, Host ID: 80a2f2ax.
    /Jorgen
    Jorgen Moquist, Sep 15, 2008
  10. Wes Groleau

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    In article <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:
    >On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >
    > Actually -- for that, I would use OpenBSD instead. Less load on
    >the CPU, and it makes a great firewall using PF (Packet Filter) which
    >comes as part of it. But Linux would probably be less of a load than
    >Solaris 10 at least. (And Solaris 8 is the earliest which will run with
    >it.)

    On an Ultra-5/10, you need at least Solaris 2.5.1 HW 11/97. See
    <http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U10/U10>
    Solaris 8 works well, but it's starting to get long in the
    tooth. I'm running Solaris 10 on mine, with 440 Mhz
    processors and 1GB of memory.

    >> Sun's sales-oriented data sheet say 440MHz processor,
    >> but all the Ultra 10s I've looked at so far on eBay
    >> say 333MHz. Did Sun change that during the Mfg.
    >> life of the model? Can I tell which I've got without
    >> actually booting it up?

    > There were two different families of system boards. These are
    >the possible barcodes on a label on the board. (Note that the '-' is
    >probably not present, so look for one which starts with 375, the next
    >four digits tell which version it is,
    >
    >Board Possible CPU speed
    >375-0009 300 or 330 MHz.
    >
    >375-0066 333/360 MHz
    >375-0079 333/360/440 MHz
    >375-0115 360/440 MHz
    >
    > CPU modules:
    > Ultra 5
    >501-4477 270 MHz
    >501-5039 270 MHz
    > Ultra 10
    >501-4379 300 MHz
    >501-5040 300 MHz
    > Ultra 5 & 10
    >501-5090 333 MHz
    >501-5568 333 MHz
    > Ultra 5
    >501-5148 360 MHz
    > Ultra 10
    >501-5222 360 MHz
    > Ultra 5
    >501-5740 400 MHz
    >501-5741 400 MHz
    > Ultra 10
    >501-5149 440 MHz
    >
    > I don't see what keeps a CPU for one from working in the other
    >system. Anyway -- look for a barcode on the system board to identify it
    >(including how it was likely to have been originally shipped), and look
    >for a barcode on the CPU module to see how fast it is. (There were 256 K
    >Cache boards in the early lot, and 2 MB Cache boards in the later ones.

    Sun doesn't "guarantee" that the faster processors will work in the
    older motherboards, but if you load the latest firmware, in my
    experience they will. Just keep one of the old slow modules (like a
    333) around in case you have to update the firmware on an old M/B.

    From my two Ultra 10's:

    $ prtconf -b
    name: SUNW,Ultra-5_10
    model: SUNW,375-0009
    banner-name: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz)

    $ prtconf -b
    name: SUNW,Ultra-5_10
    model: SUNW,375-0066
    banner-name: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz)

    I also have a 375-0009 with a 400 MHz processor running Solaris 8.

    The biggest difference between the 375-0009 M/B and later ones is the
    on-board video memory -- the 375-0009 has what is effectively a PGX-8
    with 2 MB of memory, and the later ones have an on-board PGX-24 with
    4 MB.

    The 400 and 440 MHz processors have the 2MB cache -- I'd go with one
    of those if possible. With the latest firmware, it *is* possible to
    overclock the 440's to 480 MHz, but it doesn't get you very much to do
    it. I'm guessing that Sun had planned a 480 MHz module that was
    never produced.
    --
    Jeff Wieland
    Jeff Wieland, Sep 18, 2008
  11. Wes Groleau

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-09-18, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:
    > In article <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:
    >>On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Actually -- for that, I would use OpenBSD instead. Less load on
    >>the CPU, and it makes a great firewall using PF (Packet Filter) which
    >>comes as part of it. But Linux would probably be less of a load than
    >>Solaris 10 at least. (And Solaris 8 is the earliest which will run with
    >>it.)

    > On an Ultra-5/10, you need at least Solaris 2.5.1 HW 11/97. See
    ><http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U10/U10>

    Yes -- but you aren't running in 64-bit mode until you get to
    Solaris 8 IIRC.

    > Solaris 8 works well, but it's starting to get long in the
    > tooth. I'm running Solaris 10 on mine, with 440 Mhz
    > processors and 1GB of memory.

    Since Solaris 10 is free -- it is the right choice anyway. :)

    [ ... ]

    >> I don't see what keeps a CPU for one from working in the other
    >>system. Anyway -- look for a barcode on the system board to identify it
    >>(including how it was likely to have been originally shipped), and look
    >>for a barcode on the CPU module to see how fast it is. (There were 256 K
    >>Cache boards in the early lot, and 2 MB Cache boards in the later ones.

    > Sun doesn't "guarantee" that the faster processors will work in the
    > older motherboards, but if you load the latest firmware, in my
    > experience they will. Just keep one of the old slow modules (like a
    > 333) around in case you have to update the firmware on an old M/B.

    Sounds good.

    But for fast, I prefer my SB-2000s. :)

    > I also have a 375-0009 with a 400 MHz processor running Solaris 8.
    >
    > The biggest difference between the 375-0009 M/B and later ones is the
    > on-board video memory -- the 375-0009 has what is effectively a PGX-8
    > with 2 MB of memory, and the later ones have an on-board PGX-24 with
    > 4 MB.
    >
    > The 400 and 440 MHz processors have the 2MB cache -- I'd go with one
    > of those if possible. With the latest firmware, it *is* possible to
    > overclock the 440's to 480 MHz, but it doesn't get you very much to do
    > it. I'm guessing that Sun had planned a 480 MHz module that was
    > never produced.

    :)

    It doesn't seem a big enough boost in speed to be worth
    producing. :)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Sep 18, 2008
  12. Wes Groleau

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    In article <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:
    >On 2008-09-18, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:
    >> In article <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:
    >>>On 2008-09-13, Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Actually -- for that, I would use OpenBSD instead. Less load on
    >>>the CPU, and it makes a great firewall using PF (Packet Filter) which
    >>>comes as part of it. But Linux would probably be less of a load than
    >>>Solaris 10 at least. (And Solaris 8 is the earliest which will run with
    >>>it.)

    >> On an Ultra-5/10, you need at least Solaris 2.5.1 HW 11/97. See
    >><http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U10/U10>

    > Yes -- but you aren't running in 64-bit mode until you get to
    >Solaris 8 IIRC.

    Solaris 7 was the first 64-bit version. Solaris 8 has been
    incredibly solid -- the only thing that got me to upgrade to
    Solaris 10 was that things like the Acrobat Reader and Flash
    would no longer run on Solaris 8.

    >> Solaris 8 works well, but it's starting to get long in the
    >> tooth. I'm running Solaris 10 on mine, with 440 Mhz
    >> processors and 1GB of memory.

    > Since Solaris 10 is free -- it is the right choice anyway. :)

    Oh, in addition to the 1 GB of memory, SCSI disks are highly
    recommended on the Ultra 10's. The IDE implementation on these
    machine is very slow. The old dual channel Ultra SCSI Symbios
    cards that Sun used to sell work great.

    >>> I don't see what keeps a CPU for one from working in the other
    >>>system. Anyway -- look for a barcode on the system board to identify it
    >>>(including how it was likely to have been originally shipped), and look
    >>>for a barcode on the CPU module to see how fast it is. (There were 256 K
    >>>Cache boards in the early lot, and 2 MB Cache boards in the later ones.

    >> Sun doesn't "guarantee" that the faster processors will work in the
    >> older motherboards, but if you load the latest firmware, in my
    >> experience they will. Just keep one of the old slow modules (like a
    >> 333) around in case you have to update the firmware on an old M/B.

    > Sounds good.
    >
    > But for fast, I prefer my SB-2000s. :)

    I would too if I had any. The 1.5 GHz SB1500's that we have at work
    do pretty well, too.

    --
    Jeff Wieland
    Jeff Wieland, Sep 19, 2008
  13. Wes Groleau

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-09-19, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:
    > In article <-and-d.com> "DoN. Nichols" <> writes:
    >>On 2008-09-18, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >>> On an Ultra-5/10, you need at least Solaris 2.5.1 HW 11/97. See
    >>><http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U10/U10>

    >> Yes -- but you aren't running in 64-bit mode until you get to
    >>Solaris 8 IIRC.

    > Solaris 7 was the first 64-bit version.

    O.K. I never ran that one, and the SB-1000 and SB-2000 manuals
    specify Solaris 8 as the first version which will work with the systems.

    > Solaris 8 has been
    > incredibly solid -- the only thing that got me to upgrade to
    > Solaris 10 was that things like the Acrobat Reader and Flash
    > would no longer run on Solaris 8.

    That kind of nasty thing which keeps forcing upgrades. :-( Of
    course, there is xpdf (which comes packaged with Solaris 10 in the
    Software Companion DVD-ROM.

    >>> Solaris 8 works well, but it's starting to get long in the
    >>> tooth. I'm running Solaris 10 on mine, with 440 Mhz
    >>> processors and 1GB of memory.

    >> Since Solaris 10 is free -- it is the right choice anyway. :)
    >>

    > Oh, in addition to the 1 GB of memory, SCSI disks are highly
    > recommended on the Ultra 10's. The IDE implementation on these
    > machine is very slow. The old dual channel Ultra SCSI Symbios
    > cards that Sun used to sell work great.

    Aha! Since what I'm doing on my Ultra-10s is not disk
    intensive, (and I'm using OpenBSD as the OS on them), I can ignore that.
    Other systems (with real built-in SCSI or FC-AL) are handling the disk
    intensive things. :)

    >>> Sun doesn't "guarantee" that the faster processors will work in the
    >>> older motherboards, but if you load the latest firmware, in my
    >>> experience they will. Just keep one of the old slow modules (like a
    >>> 333) around in case you have to update the firmware on an old M/B.

    >> Sounds good.
    >>
    >> But for fast, I prefer my SB-2000s. :)

    > I would too if I had any. The 1.5 GHz SB1500's that we have at work
    > do pretty well, too.

    You can get single-CPU SB-2000s for not much over $100.00 on
    eBay. Some which claim to be a single 900 MHZ CPU actually have a
    1200 MHz CPU in them. This has been the case with the two which I
    won, and one which a friend won. He's considering whether to try again
    to get up to a dual 1200 MHz system, and a spare box for his 900 MHz
    CPUs. :)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Sep 20, 2008