Unable to Boot Thinkpad A21m

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Steve M, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Steve M

    Steve M Guest

    I have been having a problem with my Thinkpad A21m for about three
    weeks now.

    At first it would occationaly not boot when I pressed the power
    button. I realized that if I unpluged it and took out the battery for
    a few minutes I could then replace the battery and power cable and it
    would boot. The time it took to "discharge" increased so I began
    leaving the batter and power disconnected between use.

    The problem is now the laptop does not boot at all even when left
    unplugged for two days.

    Could this be a bad battery? I did notice that the battery was not
    lasting more then 25 minutes the last time I used it without the power
    cable. I though that it should work with just the power cable and no
    battery at all.

    The hard disk indicator flashes once each time I press the power
    button so I know it has power.

    Is this just a bad battery or is this more serious, any help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Steve M, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Steve M

    toned

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    A21M Does Not Boot

    Steve M

    First thing I would try is to unplug the power supply from the back of your computer or the AC cord from wall. Wait for about 5 days and then start trying to boot by pressing the power buttom. If the hard disk indicator flashes but notebook doesn't power up, unplug from wall and try again a day later. Keep trying until it boots up. If it doesn't boot up after a couple of weeks, then you probably have a serious problem. You might want to remove the memory chips and try reseating them. If there are two chips, try running the laptop with one chip, alternating the chips to rule out that you have one bad memory chip.

    If you ever succeed getting it to power up and stay up, don't try putting the battery back in. Try running the laptop on your power adapter only. Keep using the power adapter to run the computer for several weeks, but disconnect the adapter each time you shut down. If after several weeks it continues to boot up, then consider buying a replacement battery.

    Without going into details at this time, I have had exactly the same problem you are experiencing with my son's laptop. I finally replaced the motherboard with one that I bought on E-Bay. It worked fine for about 3 months and then did exactly the same thing after my son charged the battery for 24 hrs, a battery, incidently that was at least 5 yrs. old and was only holding a charge for less than 15-20 minutes. He gave the laptop back to me and it took about two weeks for it to boot up but only after I removed the battery. Once I got it to boot up again, I left the battery out because I became convinced that the battery might be part of the problem.

    I have been booting the laptop every day now for about two weeks, always removing the power adapter after shutting down and so far it has booted up every day without fail. I also removed all of the energy-saving settings, i. e., screen saver, hibernation and standby settings after I got it to boot up again the first time. If all goes well for the next week, I will try resetting the hibernation and stand by features and see if everything still works. If it does, I will buy a new battery and hope I still have a few good years.

    I have spent, literally, days with this problem, having gone through two motherboards, when just maybe, had I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, it might have solved my problem.

    Hope this helps.

    Toned
    toned, Apr 29, 2007