    The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    I use Win XP Home.

    , Mar 4, 2012

  2. RnR Guest

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, wrote:

    >My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
    >downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
    >the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
    >The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    >I use Win XP Home.

    My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
    what are you using to do the recording?

    RnR, Mar 4, 2012

  3. Guest Guest

    "RnR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >>My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
    >>downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
    >>the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
    >>The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    >>I use Win XP Home.

    > My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
    > what are you using to do the recording?

    Using the small mic that came with the pc.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2012
  4. Steve W. Guest

    wrote:
    > "RnR" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:52:04 +0000, wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
    >>> downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
    >>> the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
    >>> The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    >>> I use Win XP Home.

    >> My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
    >> what are you using to do the recording?

    > Using the small mic that came with the pc.

    What software are you using? And is the mic active in the mixer as a source?

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Mar 5, 2012
  5. Guest Guest

    "Steve W." <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> "RnR" <> wrote in message

    >>> My first thought is a wrong driver??? I guess the next question is
    >>> what are you using to do the recording?

    >> Using the small mic that came with the pc.

    > What software are you using? And is the mic active in the mixer as a
    > source?
    >
    > --
    > Steve W.

    Not sure what you mean by 'software', but I test the recording using the
    small windows 'sound recorder'. The properties for 'audio record' show 'rear
    mic', 'line in', and 'microphone'.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2012
  6. Guest Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
    > downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
    > the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
    > The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    > I use Win XP Home.

    Seems there was a setting that needed adjusting. Rear Mic slider in audio
    properties was set to off/low for some reason. Still, the mic seems very
    quiet when recording, it used to record much louder. Strange.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2012
  7. BillW50 Guest

    In news:pZ75r.218632$2,
    wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> My Dim 5100 will not record audio via the attached stick mic. I've
    >> downloaded and installed the SigmaTel driver and the HD driver from
    >> the Dell website, but still no luck. I can play audio files okay btw.
    >> The mic is fine and it's in the correct port, any advice?
    >> I use Win XP Home.

    > Seems there was a setting that needed adjusting. Rear Mic slider in
    > audio properties was set to off/low for some reason. Still, the mic
    > seems very quiet when recording, it used to record much louder.
    > Strange.

    Some applications will change the mixer settings. So if you remember
    setting them one way and find it differently later, this is probably
    why. Also a lot of mic mixers have a toggle to boost the mic level. So
    look for this toggle.

    Also once the recording has been made, it isn't too late. As there are
    commercial and free audio recording tools that can boost the volume of a
    file. Audacity is a popular free one.

    Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Mar 6, 2012