    What causes the failure to restart?
    Many thanks for help.
    Don
    Don Tuttle, Feb 13, 2012

  2. Don Tuttle

    Don Tuttle Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <120220122159219374%>,
    > Don Tuttle <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been experiencing apps "not responding" and have then used Force
    > > Quit. After trying that for a while, I have tried to Restart. My Intel
    > > iMac (10.6.8) sometimes restarts but usually goes through the shut-down
    > > procedure all the way to the blue screen and then freezes. I have to
    > > push the stop-start button to shut down the machine, then push again to
    > > start back up.
    > >
    > > Disk Utility says my HD is ok.
    > >
    > > What causes the failure to restart?
    > > Many thanks for help.
    > > Don

    > You say it gets to the blue screen and freezes, but what makes you think
    > it's frozen and not just taking a while to complete the final steps of
    > shutdown? How long have you let it sit at the blue screen?
    >
    > The next time the shutdown gets to the blue screen and doesn't go past
    > that, make a note of the exact time. Then view the /var/logs/system.log
    > file for entries indicating errors _on or around that time_. If you
    > don't understand the messages, feel free to post _the relevant time
    > stamped lines_ here for diagnosis.

    Thanks for suggestions.
    This morning I have twice let the machine sit at the blue screen for
    over ten minutes before pushing the on/off button.
    Regarding /var/logs/system.log, I am unable to find it. Where is it,
    pls? Something is wrong with my search procedure. Using Spotlight, when
    I plug in search term "system.log" I get nothing. When I plug in
    panic.log, which I can see in my Logs folder in my Library folder, so I
    know it exists, I get "No results."
    Thanks for help.
    Don
    Don Tuttle, Feb 14, 2012

  3. Don Tuttle

    D Finnigan Guest

    Jolly Roger wrote:
    > In article <140220121254158712%>,
    > Don Tuttle <> wrote:
    >
    >> This morning I have twice let the machine sit at the blue screen for
    >> over ten minutes before pushing the on/off button.
    >> Regarding /var/logs/system.log, I am unable to find it. Where is it,
    >> pls? Something is wrong with my search procedure. Using Spotlight, when
    >> I plug in search term "system.log" I get nothing. When I plug in
    >> panic.log, which I can see in my Logs folder in my Library folder, so I
    >> know it exists, I get "No results."
    >> Thanks for help.
    >> Don

    > Viewing Crash, Console, and System Logs
    >
    > 1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.
    >
    > 2. From the Console menu bar, select File > View System Log. Typically,
    > you must be logged into an administrator account to view the system log.
    >
    > NOTE: You cannot use the Console application to view the system log from
    > a non-administrative account. Instead, do this:

    Why not do this?

    Open terminal.

    Type:

    sudo open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app/

    Type your password.

    --
    ]DF$
    Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and
    D Finnigan, Feb 14, 2012
  4. Don Tuttle

    Don Tuttle Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > (D Finnigan) wrote:
    >
    > > Jolly Roger wrote:

    > > > Viewing Crash, Console, and System Logs
    > > >
    > > > 1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.
    > > >
    > > > 2. From the Console menu bar, select File > View System Log. Typically,
    > > > you must be logged into an administrator account to view the system log.
    > > >
    > > > NOTE: You cannot use the Console application to view the system log from
    > > > a non-administrative account. Instead, do this:
    > > >

    > > Why not do this?
    > >
    > > Open terminal.
    > >
    > > Type:
    > >
    > > sudo open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app/
    > >
    > > Type your password.

    > That runs Console as root. I'll leave it to you to think about the
    > potential implications, but consider that since you don't have the
    > source code for Console, you don't know exactly which parts of the
    > system it touches (as root) while running. Nobody is saying you can't do
    > it, but particularly for someone not familiar with Unix security, it's
    > probably not the best idea, which is why I don't bother mentioning it.

    I have put a Console alias on my desktop

    Since I was hoping for a faulty re-start, so that I could get helpful
    log information, I of course had several successful re-starts in a row.
    Finally had a re-start failure. I went to Re-start in Apple menu at
    about 19:05. So the information below starting at 19:06 is I suppose
    relevant. I see "Improper shutdown detected" at 19:06:53. Would that
    have resulted from holding down the start/stop button to shut down?
    I guess most of the following information is start-up stuff.

    Thanks for help.
    Don

    Feb 15 19:01:33 Macintosh-5 FontCacheTool[4047]:
    ATSFontGetPostScriptName failed: error -984.
    Feb 15 19:01:33 Macintosh-5 [0x0-0xbb0bb].com.microsoft.Excel[4044]:
    Wed Feb 15 19:01:33 Macintosh-5.local FontCacheTool[4047] <Error>:
    ATSFontGetPostScriptName failed: error -984.
    Feb 15 19:06:48 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has
    started up. ***
    Feb 15 19:06:53 localhost DirectoryService[11]: Improper shutdown
    detected
    Feb 15 19:06:54 localhost blued[17]: Apple Bluetooth daemon started
    Feb 15 19:07:06 localhost mDNSResponder[18]: mDNSResponder
    mDNSResponder-258.21 (May 26 2011 14:40:13) starting
    Feb 15 19:07:06 localhost pcscd[35]: Non-smartcard device launched
    pcscd [Vendor: 0X4B8, Product: 0X10F]
    Feb 15 19:07:06 localhost mDNSResponder[18]: Adding registration domain
    rb3banjo.members.mac.com.
    Feb 15 19:07:07 localhost configd[14]: network configuration changed.
    Feb 15 19:07:07 Macintosh-5 configd[14]: setting hostname to
    "Macintosh-5.local"
    Feb 15 19:07:07 Macintosh-5 fseventsd[57]: event logs in /.fseventsd
    out of sync with volume. destroying old logs. (70547 24 70660)
    Feb 15 19:07:07 Macintosh-5 fseventsd[57]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting
    new uuid: BF728135-12AC-4365-B99E-3365BF25D1E6
    Feb 15 19:07:07 Macintosh-5 bootlog[64]: BOOT_TIME: 1329350803 0
    Feb 15 19:07:17 Macintosh-5 awacsd[37]: Starting awacsd
    connectivity-35.3 (May 26 2011 14:39:20)
    Feb 15 19:07:17 Macintosh-5 com.apple.usbmuxd[46]: usbmuxd-263 on Nov
    14 2011 at 18:58:10, running 64 bit
    Feb 15 19:07:17 Macintosh-5
    /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[
    53]: Login Window Application Started
    Feb 15 19:07:17 Macintosh-5 configd[14]: network configuration changed.
    Feb 15 19:07:18 Macintosh-5 com.apple.SystemStarter[47]: Starting Cisco
    Systems VPN Driver
    Feb 15 19:07:18 Macintosh-5 com.apple.SystemStarter[47]: Starting
    Macaroni
    Feb 15 19:07:18 Macintosh-5 kextloadlogger[96]:
    /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext
    Feb 15 19:07:19 Macintosh-5 MacaroniTool[99]: Starting Macaroni daemon
    Don Tuttle, Feb 16, 2012