    maybe not the 4700.

    What should I do to see the POST info?

    Thanbks.

    micky, Jul 21, 2011

  2. micky

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jul 21, 3:14 am, micky <> wrote:
    > I have been using a Dimension 4600 for the last 3 weeks, and expect to
    > soon use a Dimension 4700 full time.
    >
    > When it starts, I get the Dell logo and not te POST screens.  I
    > googled before coming here and it said to uncheck quiet boot to solve
    > this problem.
    >
    > But the 4600 doesn't have such a setting in the firsrt place, and
    > maybe not the 4700.
    >
    > What should I do to  see the POST info?
    >
    > Thanbks.

    I have a Dim 4550 with BIOS A08. It has one page and near the bottom
    is "Fast Boot" usually on, and it needs to be off. Hope it's like
    yours'!

    Bob Villa, Jul 22, 2011

  3. micky

    Pen Guest

    On 7/21/2011 4:14 AM, micky wrote:
    > I have been using a Dimension 4600 for the last 3 weeks, and expect to
    > soon use a Dimension 4700 full time.
    >
    > When it starts, I get the Dell logo and not te POST screens. I
    > googled before coming here and it said to uncheck quiet boot to solve
    > this problem.
    >
    > But the 4600 doesn't have such a setting in the firsrt place, and
    > maybe not the 4700.
    >
    > What should I do to see the POST info?
    >
    > Thanbks.

    4600 found here. Turn off "Fastboot"
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/syssetup.htm#1139574
    4700 found here. ^Turn off "Fastboot"
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4700/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1052312

    Pen, Jul 22, 2011
  4. micky

    micky Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:12:09 -0400, Pen <> wrote:

    >On 7/21/2011 4:14 AM, micky wrote:
    >> I have been using a Dimension 4600 for the last 3 weeks, and expect to
    >> soon use a Dimension 4700 full time.
    >>
    >> When it starts, I get the Dell logo and not te POST screens. I
    >> googled before coming here and it said to uncheck quiet boot to solve
    >> this problem.
    >>
    >> But the 4600 doesn't have such a setting in the firsrt place, and
    >> maybe not the 4700.
    >>
    >> What should I do to see the POST info?
    >>
    >> Thanbks.

    >4600 found here. Turn off "Fastboot"
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/syssetup.htm#1139574
    >4700 found here. ^Turn off "Fastboot"
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4700/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1052312

    Thanks to both of you.

    This is what your second link says about fast boot:
    "Fastboot When set to On (default), your computer starts more
    quickly because it skips certain configurations and tests."

    It doesn't say anything about seeing the POST info. It just says it
    runs more tests and configurations, when fast boot is off.

    I don't think quiet boot and fast boot are the same thing.

    Plus I tried tuning off fast boot, and it booted a lot slower but
    didn't display any more info than when it was on. In other words, no
    *information*, only reference to what F2 and F8 would do.

    I'm talking about the display of the BIOS version, the memory
    count-off, the list of harddrvies and CD drives. and the stuff that
    goes with that. And finally there is iirc a list of interrupts.
    Have you seen that stuff displayed?

    This stuff was very useful to me when trying to fix a computer I
    assembled myself, and I'd like to see it on t he Dall too.

    Thanks agaiin.

    micky, Jul 22, 2011
  5. micky

    Pen Guest

    On 7/22/2011 8:41 AM, micky wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:12:09 -0400, Pen <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/21/2011 4:14 AM, micky wrote:
    >>> I have been using a Dimension 4600 for the last 3 weeks, and expect to
    >>> soon use a Dimension 4700 full time.
    >>>
    >>> When it starts, I get the Dell logo and not te POST screens. I
    >>> googled before coming here and it said to uncheck quiet boot to solve
    >>> this problem.
    >>>
    >>> But the 4600 doesn't have such a setting in the firsrt place, and
    >>> maybe not the 4700.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do to see the POST info?
    >>>
    >>> Thanbks.

    >> 4600 found here. Turn off "Fastboot"
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/syssetup.htm#1139574
    >> 4700 found here. ^Turn off "Fastboot"
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim4700/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1052312

    > Thanks to both of you.
    >
    > This is what your second link says about fast boot:
    > "Fastboot When set to On (default), your computer starts more
    > quickly because it skips certain configurations and tests."
    >
    > It doesn't say anything about seeing the POST info. It just says it
    > runs more tests and configurations, when fast boot is off.
    >
    > I don't think quiet boot and fast boot are the same thing.
    >
    > Plus I tried tuning off fast boot, and it booted a lot slower but
    > didn't display any more info than when it was on. In other words, no
    > *information*, only reference to what F2 and F8 would do.
    >
    > I'm talking about the display of the BIOS version, the memory
    > count-off, the list of harddrvies and CD drives. and the stuff that
    > goes with that. And finally there is iirc a list of interrupts.
    > Have you seen that stuff displayed?
    >
    > This stuff was very useful to me when trying to fix a computer I
    > assembled myself, and I'd like to see it on t he Dall too.
    >
    > Thanks agaiin.

    The BIOS version and memory coutoff is in fact displayed,
    but the balance of what you want is only available by
    viewing the setup program.
    In any case in any Dell you won't get a list of interrupts
    from the setup program.

    Pen, Jul 22, 2011
  6. micky

    Nick Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 08:41:40 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, micky
    <> wrote:

    >I'm talking about the display of the BIOS version, the memory
    >count-off, the list of harddrvies and CD drives. and the stuff that
    >goes with that. And finally there is iirc a list of interrupts.
    >Have you seen that stuff displayed?
    >
    >This stuff was very useful to me when trying to fix a computer I
    >assembled myself, and I'd like to see it on t he Dall too.

    The only time I've seen a POST display that's similar to what you're talking
    about is when there was a problem with the boot drive. In my case, it's
    happened a few times when the BIOS boot sequence got screwed up and the
    computer tried to boot off a drive that didn't have anything to boot off of.
    I don't remember if that display had any info about interrupts.

    As others have mentioned, some of that information is available from the
    BIOS setup routine, but not the interrupts.

    No idea if there's any way to get the POST display you want without an
    actual problem for POST to report.

    You could try going into the Dell diagnostics utility from the boot menu and
    see if any of the information you're looking for is in there.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    Nick, Jul 24, 2011