    keyboard?
    BTW, I typed the previous line (in Win9se) while holding down the
    Print Screen key."

    xby, Jan 23, 2005

  2. xby

    Guest

    In article <>
    "xby" writes:

    > I did not try another keyboard yet. If the Print Screen key is stuck,
    > wouldn't the printer run constantly?

    Not necessarily -- there could be an intermittent problem with
    the key that just shows itself up when the keyboard is vibrated
    "just so"...

    > It does not! The printer is
    > idle and quiet while I work for hours in MS-DOS when all of a sudden
    > it wakes up, prints the screen, and becomes idle and quiet again for a
    > long duration.
    >
    > This was happening more frequently while plain MS-DOS is used. It is
    > not that frequent when MS-DOS is used under Windows 3.1

    the DOS Print Screen service is activated by issuing Int 05h. Is
    it possible that you are running some malware that does this?

    A workaround is to patch the BIOS data area at address 50:0000
    with the value 01h, which value gets placed there by the Int 05
    service whilst a Print Screen is in progress, i.e. busy. If you
    decide to take this route and need help with the DEBUG commands
    to create a (e.g.) a "noprtscr.com" that you can call from
    autoexec.bat just ask again.

    Pete
    --
    "We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
    we have borrowed it from our descendants."

    , Jan 23, 2005

  3. xby

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:03:13 +0000 (UTC), put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >A workaround is to patch the BIOS data area at address 50:0000
    >with the value 01h, which value gets placed there by the Int 05
    >service whilst a Print Screen is in progress, i.e. busy. If you
    >decide to take this route and need help with the DEBUG commands
    >to create a (e.g.) a "noprtscr.com" that you can call from
    >autoexec.bat just ask again.
    >
    >Pete

    It wouldn't be as pretty, but you could add these lines to your
    autoexec.bat file:

    :noprtscr
    for %%v in (e50:0 01 q) do echo %%v>> %temp%.\$$temp$$
    debug < %temp%.\$$temp$$ > nul
    del %temp%.\$$temp$$

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jan 27, 2005