Update: Dimension 8400 memory recognition

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dan Beck, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Dan Beck

    Dan Beck Guest

    Hello all,

    to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2 MB) of
    RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5 GB. My
    BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is a summary
    of what I have done, with the results.

    1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
    this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB when it
    should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state there is 2.5
    GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)

    2. I contacted tech support of US Modular, the memory manufacturer. The
    tech first verified through serial numbers that indeed the memory sticks are
    1024 MB. He then suggested I download and run 3DMark06, which apparently is
    benchmark testing software for gamers (I am not a gamer). I ran that
    software. It correctly identified ALL the hardware components in my
    machine, and it told me indeed I have 2.5 GB of DDR2 RAM. Part of test was
    a video clip of a game; it ran, but my feeling is the slide show animation
    was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than the amount of DDR2 RAM I have.
    Please correct me if I am mistaken; I will NOT be offended! :)

    3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in total)
    and it indicated 0 errors.

    4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my Dell; I
    have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as to whether
    the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found on the F12 boot
    menu.

    My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of DDR2
    RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie however my
    feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated!

    Respectfully submitted,
    Dan

    1. Advertising

  2. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*nospam*cableone.net> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2 MB)
    > of RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5 GB.
    > My BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is a
    > summary of what I have done, with the results.
    >
    > 1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
    > this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB when it
    > should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state there is
    > 2.5 GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)
    >
    > 2. I contacted tech support of US Modular, the memory manufacturer. The
    > tech first verified through serial numbers that indeed the memory sticks
    > are 1024 MB. He then suggested I download and run 3DMark06, which
    > apparently is benchmark testing software for gamers (I am not a gamer). I
    > ran that software. It correctly identified ALL the hardware components in
    > my machine, and it told me indeed I have 2.5 GB of DDR2 RAM. Part of test
    > was a video clip of a game; it ran, but my feeling is the slide show
    > animation was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than the amount of DDR2
    > RAM I have. Please correct me if I am mistaken; I will NOT be offended!
    > :)
    >
    > 3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    > memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in
    > total) and it indicated 0 errors.
    >
    > 4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    > already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my Dell;
    > I have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as to
    > whether the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found on the
    > F12 boot menu.
    >
    > My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of
    > DDR2 RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie
    > however my feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Respectfully submitted,
    > Dan

    What happens when you right click on My Computer and choose properties. How
    much memory is listed?

    Tom

    1. Advertising

  3. Dan Beck

    Dan Beck Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*nospam*cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2 MB)
    >> of RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5 GB.
    >> My BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is a
    >> summary of what I have done, with the results.
    >>
    >> 1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
    >> this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB when it
    >> should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state there is
    >> 2.5 GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)
    >>
    >> 2. I contacted tech support of US Modular, the memory manufacturer. The
    >> tech first verified through serial numbers that indeed the memory sticks
    >> are 1024 MB. He then suggested I download and run 3DMark06, which
    >> apparently is benchmark testing software for gamers (I am not a gamer).
    >> I ran that software. It correctly identified ALL the hardware components
    >> in my machine, and it told me indeed I have 2.5 GB of DDR2 RAM. Part of
    >> test was a video clip of a game; it ran, but my feeling is the slide show
    >> animation was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than the amount of
    >> DDR2 RAM I have. Please correct me if I am mistaken; I will NOT be
    >> offended! :)
    >>
    >> 3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    >> memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in
    >> total) and it indicated 0 errors.
    >>
    >> 4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    >> already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my
    >> Dell; I have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as to
    >> whether the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found on
    >> the F12 boot menu.
    >>
    >> My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of
    >> DDR2 RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie
    >> however my feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be
    >> greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> Respectfully submitted,
    >> Dan
    >>

    > What happens when you right click on My Computer and choose properties.
    > How much memory is listed?
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    it reports 2.5 GB.

    Dan

  4. Tom Scales

    > "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*nospam*cableone.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2
    >>> MB) of RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5
    >>> GB. My BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is
    >>> a summary of what I have done, with the results.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how
    >>> easy this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB
    >>> when it should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state
    >>> there is 2.5 GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)
    >>>
    >>> 2. I contacted tech support of US Modular, the memory manufacturer.
    >>> The tech first verified through serial numbers that indeed the memory
    >>> sticks are 1024 MB. He then suggested I download and run 3DMark06,
    >>> which apparently is benchmark testing software for gamers (I am not a
    >>> gamer). I ran that software. It correctly identified ALL the hardware
    >>> components in my machine, and it told me indeed I have 2.5 GB of DDR2
    >>> RAM. Part of test was a video clip of a game; it ran, but my feeling is
    >>> the slide show animation was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than
    >>> the amount of DDR2 RAM I have. Please correct me if I am mistaken; I
    >>> will NOT be offended! :)
    >>>
    >>> 3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    >>> memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in
    >>> total) and it indicated 0 errors.
    >>>
    >>> 4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    >>> already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my
    >>> Dell; I have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as
    >>> to whether the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found
    >>> on the F12 boot menu.
    >>>
    >>> My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of
    >>> DDR2 RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie
    >>> however my feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be
    >>> greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>> Respectfully submitted,
    >>> Dan
    >>>

    >> What happens when you right click on My Computer and choose properties.
    >> How much memory is listed?
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > it reports 2.5 GB.
    >
    > Dan

    Then ignore the BIOS :)

  5. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    > Hello all,
    >
    > to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2 MB)
    > of RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5 GB.
    > My BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is a
    > summary of what I have done, with the results.
    >
    > 1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
    > this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB when it
    > should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state there is
    > 2.5 GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)

    <snip>

    I'd stop at this point. If the total is seen by BIOS as 2.5gb, and Windows
    sees 2.5gb, then let well enough alone.

    My point about the diags from either the website or off of the resource CD
    is that I believe those memory tests (MATS, etc) run from a bootable disc
    are more extensive than the F12 (quick) diags.

    That said, the new RAM is in and seen. Unless you begin experiencing odd
    errors or crashes, I'd be happy and move along with it.

    Stew

  6. sounds like you don't actually have a problem. but it also sounds odd that
    the bios is reporting only 1.5gb when you have 2.5gb.
    it sounds as if the bios is only recognizing half the ram on each of the 1gb
    sticks.
    but do i understand you correctly that the original 512mb is a single stick
    and not the total of two 256mb sticks?
    i thought this machine only accepted memory in like pairs.
    i wonder what the bios says if you remove the original 512mb stick (or
    original two 256mb sticks).
    without the factory installed 512mb does the bios report 2gb for the other
    two 1gb sticks?
    does it make a difference if you put the two 1mb sticks in the first set of
    memory sockets instead of second set (putting the two 1gb sticks in where
    the factory original memory was installed?

    > Hello all,
    >
    > to review, I am the person with the 8400 who installed 2 GB (1024 x 2 MB)
    > of RAM on top of the 512 MB factory installed RAM for a total of 2.5 GB.
    > My BIOS was recognizing the 1024 MB sticks as 512 MB each. Here is a
    > summary of what I have done, with the results.
    >
    > 1. Updated my BIOS from A04 to A08. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
    > this was to do. No change however; the BIOS still reads 512 MB when it
    > should say 1024 MB. Interestingly though, the BIOS does state there is
    > 2.5 GB of RAM installed. Maybe BIOS can't do arithmetic? :)
    >
    > 2. I contacted tech support of US Modular, the memory manufacturer. The
    > tech first verified through serial numbers that indeed the memory sticks
    > are 1024 MB. He then suggested I download and run 3DMark06, which
    > apparently is benchmark testing software for gamers (I am not a gamer). I
    > ran that software. It correctly identified ALL the hardware components in
    > my machine, and it told me indeed I have 2.5 GB of DDR2 RAM. Part of test
    > was a video clip of a game; it ran, but my feeling is the slide show
    > animation was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than the amount of DDR2
    > RAM I have. Please correct me if I am mistaken; I will NOT be offended!
    > :)
    >
    > 3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    > memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in
    > total) and it indicated 0 errors.
    >
    > 4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    > already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my Dell;
    > I have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as to
    > whether the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found on the
    > F12 boot menu.
    >
    > My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of
    > DDR2 RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie
    > however my feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Respectfully submitted,
    > Dan

  7. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    It will run without matched pairs, but degrades from DDR to single channel.
    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> animation was more due to the 128 MB graphics card than the amount of
    >> DDR2 RAM I have. Please correct me if I am mistaken; I will NOT be
    >> offended! :)
    >>
    >> 3. I went to www.memtest.org , and made a bootable floppy with the
    >> memtest86 V. 1.65. I ran that program overnight (for 11.5 hours, in
    >> total) and it indicated 0 errors.
    >>
    >> 4. Stew, the Dell Resource CD for my machine tells me the software is
    >> already on my machine. I do have the factory load of software on my
    >> Dell; I have not reformatted my hard drive. I guess I am not clear as to
    >> whether the tests you suggest are any different than the ones found on
    >> the F12 boot menu.
    >>
    >> My newbie conclusion to all of this is my machine is running 2.5 GB of
    >> DDR2 RAM, but my BIOS just doesn't want to believe it. Being a newbie
    >> however my feeling is on shaky ground. Any other suggestions would be

  8. "Tom Scales" <> top-posted:
    >It will run without matched pairs, but degrades from DDR to single channel.

    We know you meant "Dual channel" to "Single channel", Tom. Time for
    more coffee? 8*)

  9. Dan Beck

    Dan Beck Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > but do i understand you correctly that the original 512mb is a single
    > stick and not the total of two 256mb sticks?
    > i thought this machine only accepted memory in like pairs.
    > i wonder what the bios says if you remove the original 512mb stick (or
    > original two 256mb sticks).
    > without the factory installed 512mb does the bios report 2gb for the other
    > two 1gb sticks?
    > does it make a difference if you put the two 1mb sticks in the first set
    > of memory sockets instead of second set (putting the two 1gb sticks in
    > where the factory original memory was installed?

    Actually, it is 2 x 256MB sticks. I have flip-flopped the positions of the
    sticks in the 4 spots (of course maintaining the matched pairs) I have in my
    machine. It made no difference. I haven't tried just the 1024MB sticks
    alone, to see what the BIOS would say; at this point I am tired of opening
    and closing the box, so I don't think I will investigate that avenue, just
    yet! :)

    Regards,
    Dan