    who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
    answer.
    :confused::confused:

    banderz777, Jun 27, 2007

  2. banderz777

    Quaoar Guest

    banderz777 wrote:
    > I would like to upgrade my processor on my laptop, Averatec 5400 ser.
    > I have the AthlonXP-m 2800+, can't find out who makes my motherboard,
    > on the board I found this on it.(AN5 MB 50-70956-04), does anyone know
    > who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
    > answer.
    > :confused::confused:

    Averatec "sources" their notebooks directly from China, Inc. Averatec
    is a marketer, having few or no design and support services of their
    own. You will likely never find a definitive identity for the mainboard
    unless you have access to the Chinese assemblers directly. That being
    writ, there are few or none of any laptop brand that a user can
    reasonably upgrade a CPU. Note that I'm not even addressing the
    relative difficulty of *finding* an upgraded CPU that will work.

    Focus your energies on a new, state-of-the-art laptop that, likewise,
    cannot be upgraded.

    Quaoar, Jun 28, 2007

  3. banderz777

    Guest

    On Jun 27, 9:46 am, banderz777 <>
    wrote:
    > I would like to upgrade my processor on my laptop, Averatec 5400 ser.
    > I have the AthlonXP-m 2800+, can't find out who makes my motherboard,
    > on the board I found this on it.(AN5 MB 50-70956-04), does anyone know
    > who makes this board,really need the help, called Averatec,but get no
    > answer.
    > :confused::confused:

    I disrecommend processor upgrades on laptops. There are several
    reasons:

    1) Pain in the butt. (as you already have taken the machine apart far
    enough apart to read the writing on the board, you might as well
    ignore this one : ) )

    2) As you found out, no easy way to find out what replacements are
    compatible.

    3) You need to just about double the processor speed to make a
    noticeable difference.

    4) faster processors in the same family usually mean more heat, which
    is particularly troublesome in a laptop, where upgrading the cooling
    system to compensate is nigh impossible.

    4a) Changing the family of processor decreases the likelihood that a
    replacement will be compatible.

    5) You often have to upgrade the bios to support a faster processor.

    That said, if you want to make an educated guess, choose one with one
    in the same class.

    Other sources point to the processor being an XP-M 'dublin'. And there
    really isn't much room at the top. (just to 3100+, and you'd never
    notice.)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...P-M_.22Dublin.22_.28K8-based.2C_Socket_754.29

    Your computer is a wal-mart special. Beware! Many reposts of problems
    with XP SP2, among others.
    (just google your model and skim the results, you'll see)

    if your current processor is dead, you might as well replace it. But i
    wouldn't upgrade this one, if it works.

    You might get more use out of a RAM upgrade.

    , Jun 28, 2007
  4. banderz777

    banderz777 Guest

    Want to thank you both for the comments, I think I will just upgrade my
    RAM.

    banderz777, Jun 29, 2007