    desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
    with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
    trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

    Rich Raffenetti, May 2, 2008

  2. Rich Raffenetti

    V Green Guest

    "Rich Raffenetti" <rich@raffenetti_takethisout.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu doesn't
    > provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has included drivers
    > in Vista which would support some/all of the Fujitsu tablet devices.
    >
    > I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of another
    > desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild the XP Tablet
    > with the support disks or install or upgrade to Vista. I'm wondering if
    > trying Vista would be at all fruitful or an exercise in frustration.

    Only if the drivers are available from Fujitsu. Hardware
    specific stuff IS required that isn't on the Vista discs.

    I upgraded my U810 from pre-installed Vista to XP Tablet
    because Vista had so many problems.

    V Green, May 3, 2008

  3. Rich Raffenetti

    Chris H Guest

    If the manufacturer does not support the upgrade, I wouldn't go there in a
    million years. They won't help, and getting drivers to make the machine
    perform properly with Vista may not be possible. Just stick with what
    you've got unless any manufacturer says they support Vista.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, May 4, 2008
  4. Rich Raffenetti

    Sven Guest

    I'll second that. Tried it on a Toshiba that they weren't supporting the
    upgrade on. Most stuff worked great, but the tablet specific buttons needed
    drivers that didn't exist, and little annoyances, like the screen not
    auto-rotating to portarait in tablet mode, made me re-store from the factory
    restore disks.

    Sven, May 4, 2008
  5. Thanks everyone for the advice. I was hoping that someone had tried and
    been successful.

    Rich Raffenetti, May 7, 2008
  6. Rich Raffenetti wrote:

    > Has anyone tried upgrading a Fujitsu tablet PC to Vista? Fujitsu
    > doesn't provide support for upgrading but I wonder if Microsoft has
    > included drivers in Vista which would support some/all of the
    > Fujitsu tablet devices.

    It's almost the same situation with *all* manufacturers as far as
    "older" TabletPCs are concerned.
    But it might be done with enough time for experiments and a lot if trial
    & error (and heavy usage of system recovery).

    > I'm currently weaning myself from my T4010 tablet in favor of
    > another desktop PC and will soon be in a position to either rebuild
    > the XP Tablet with the support disks or install or upgrade to
    > Vista. I'm wondering if trying Vista would be at all fruitful or
    > an exercise in frustration.

    I was more then skeptical as to doing it with my good old HP tc1100. No
    drivers at all offered by HP. But it came out to be a full success in
    the end.
    The key to the success was a fantastic write-up "HP/TC1100/Windows Vista
    Installation Notes" by W Newquay
    http://mobilepcwiki.com/mpc/index.php?title=HP/TC1100/Windows_Vista_Installation_Notes#_note-2
    The references there were helpful too.
    My tc1100 now does everything it should (no Aero, naturally, but I don't
    need that), there are only some issues with some Bluetooth services
    remaining.

    And the result IMO was well worth the work.

    I just think: If it can be done with a HP, why not with a Fujitsu?
    I'd suggest that you'd carefully go through the said article (and the
    other source referenced there) and then try things in a parallel way.

    All the best
    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, May 7, 2008
  7. Rich Raffenetti

    rrod Guest

    I have the same fujitsu t4010 and i had Vista home prem it sucked i went back
    to xp

    rrod, May 10, 2008
  8. Rich, I am writing you now from an upgraded Fujitsu T4010D and it works
    great. Running Vista Business!

    Sven was right in the fact that there are a few missing drivers (duh) that
    won't allow it to automatically rotate the screen and some other input
    buttons (which I didn't use anyway). Not sure what rrod was referring to
    because his post was so vague, but it doesn't suck at all and many people
    just complain about 3rd party drivers and blame Microsoft. Dumb.

    Things to consider: I have 1.5gb RAM, new 120HD (not required), and the
    graphics will not allow Aero Experience. Overall, I am very happy with the
    upgrade! Why spend life in the past when the future is here :)

    Hope this helps!

    PS. Let me know if you want to rid yourself of the Tablet! I love em!

    J Ray Nightcrawler, May 15, 2008
  9. J Ray Nightcrawler schrieb:

    > Rich, I am writing you now from an upgraded Fujitsu T4010D and it
    > works great. Running Vista Business!

    Good news!

    > Sven was right in the fact that there are a few missing drivers
    > (duh) that won't allow it to automatically rotate the screen and
    > some other input buttons (which I didn't use anyway).

    I got all of this functionaltity ib my HP tc1100 by installing the
    XP-drivers (installing the drivers *manually* and taking care of
    "compatibility mode").

    Things may be different with Fujitsu, but IMHO it be worth testing
    things step by step.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Jun 2, 2008