Upgrade video card

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by paultonge, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. paultonge

    paultonge Guest

    Hi,

    I have bought a PB iMed M847. Unfortunately its Video Card - SiS651 - does
    not fully support Directx 8.1.

    I am therefore unable to play a PC game I have recently purchased. The
    message that I get when I try to play this particular game is that I require
    an ATI Radeon or vidia GeForce card to run the game.

    How do I upgrade to this card? Is it possible for a technician to install
    this?

    Cheers

    1. Advertising

  2. Elector

    Elector Guest

    " paultonge" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have bought a PB iMed M847. Unfortunately its Video Card -
    > SiS651 - does not fully support Directx 8.1.
    >
    > I am therefore unable to play a PC game I have recently purchased.
    > The message that I get when I try to play this particular game is
    > that I require an ATI Radeon or vidia GeForce card to run the game.
    >
    > How do I upgrade to this card? Is it possible for a technician to
    > install this?
    >
    > Cheers

    If the card in the system is an older version and it is either onboard
    or as a separate card it is quite possible to upgrade to the cards
    listed in your post.

    You need to first set your current resolution to the standard VGA via
    the properties of the card. (Right Click on the desk top-select
    properties-settings) then set the resolution to Standard VGA.

    After that is done you would need or a computer savvy friend of yours
    would then need to remove the case cover and if this is a real card
    and not an onboard video chip then remove it and place the new one in
    the slot. The card you mentioned above come in AGP and PCI of course
    AGP is the faster of the two and if you have such a slot then that is
    where you want the new video card. Also make sure that the power
    supply is sufficient to handle the new card. You can know this via the
    directions or particulars on the box. After you install the card you
    will want to go onto device manager and then "disable" the older video
    via the check box that say's "use this in all profiles or another
    similar message" you then have to restart the machine and let the new
    one be found. At this point you install the newer cards drivers and
    applications if you so desire. If all goes well the card will perform
    as needed. If not then it will need to be tweaked.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector