    in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I can see both
    cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp is 102F with bios
    27. TIA
    MikeG, Nov 15, 2006

  2. MikeG

    Dylan C Guest

    MikeG wrote:
    > AV8 3rd eye, changed the cpu from a x64 3000 to a x64 x2 3800. Is there
    > anything that I have to change to finish this installation. It seems quite
    > a bit slower than the older "slower" cpu. I have loaded optimized settings
    > in the bios and have moved the cpu speed to 220 x10 = 2200. I can see both
    > cpu's are working normal in the device manager. CPU temp is 102F with bios
    > 27. TIA

    Do both cores show up under the 'performance' tab in Task manager?
    Maybe windows sees both, but is only using one.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Nov 15, 2006

  3. MikeG

    MikeG Guest

    In task manager/performance there are two windows showing, cpu usage is
    different visually

    MikeG, Nov 16, 2006
  4. MikeG

    Paul Guest

    MikeG wrote:
    > In task manager/performance there are two windows showing, cpu usage is
    > different visually

    There is some stuff here you could read.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

    With dual cores, processes can migrate from core to core.
    With Cool N' Quiet, the FID/VID values change with time,
    according to CPU load. A dual can be a more dynamic environment,
    and needs a bit of tweaking, to make sure it and the OS are
    working as best possible. Without tweaking, there can
    be stuttering in games.

    Also, there are some games that benefit from setting the
    affinity. It is possible to launch a task, such that is
    stays put on one core. There are tools you can use, to
    set the affinity, by means of modifying the shortcut
    used to launch the program. I believe there is also
    supposed to be a way of doing that from the Task Manager,
    once a task is running.

    This is an example of a tool for launching other programs,
    and when launched, the task affinity is set to one of the
    two cores. I believe there are a number of programs
    like this.

    There is a bit to read on the subject, and I don't keep
    track of all the latest tricks, as I still live in
    a single core world.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 16, 2006
  5. MikeG

    MikeG Guest

    Tx Paul....I'll be reading for the next hour or 2.

    MikeG, Nov 16, 2006