Upgraded from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 now my dial-up connects slower.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by mbacas@gmail.com, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
    office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k. I often connect @ 28.8k.
    Occasionally I'll connect at 38k. I've even signed up for another
    dial-up ISP to see if that made a difference and installed AOL software
    to see. All with the same results of connecting at a slower speed than
    before 10.3.9.

    I can take the phone cord out of my iBook G4 and plug it into my Win XP
    box and connect at 53k everytime.

    This little detail in the 10.3.9 update concerns me:
    ================
    Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use
    if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.
    ================

    Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore? :)

    I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
    having a similar problem?

    - Mark
    , Apr 19, 2005

  2. Guest

    Okay, I'm new to Macs. Got mine in November last year. How does one
    revert to previous version?

    I was at an Apple Store yesterday and the Genius told me I couldn't. He
    also said it's probably just something with the lines or the ISP, etc.

    - Mark
    , Apr 19, 2005

  3. "" <> writes:

    > Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore? :)

    Probably.

    > I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
    > having a similar problem?

    Not since you're the only modem user. :->

    Did you either copy down your modem settings from the earlier version of
    the OS or take a screenshot of your settings? If so, compare and contrast
    the settings after the upgrade.

    On the reversion to an earlier version, you may do so if you wish. Just
    reinstall your older system from the CDs that came with your computer. Boot
    from the install CD by holding down the c key as you reboot. It takes
    longer to boot from the CD, so hold it down and be patient. The follow the
    install instructions. It's easy, but takes a half or three-quarters of an
    hour.

    Phil Stripling, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Guest

    Yes, I'd rather fix the modem issue. I've tried every Apple Internal
    modem script listed. V.32, V.34, V.90, V.92.

    I've tried these with and without error correction and compression
    turned on.

    I've tried about 20 different numbers for the ISP in my area.

    I've tried 2 different ISPs and AOL.

    I guess something unrelated could've caused the slow down. Just not
    sure where to look. I really wish there was an easy way to tell if it's
    my modem, the OS or the ISP.

    Well, the fact that I still connect at 53k on my Win XP box and I use
    to connect around that speed on my Mac, leads me to believe the issue
    is somewhere in the Mac and any recent updates I might of done. Any
    ideas on what other than an OS update might cause this modem connection
    issue?

    - Mark
    , Apr 19, 2005
  5. "" <> writes:

    > ideas on what other than an OS update might cause this modem connection
    > issue?

    Look at your settings and see if anything changed.

    Phil Stripling, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Guest

    If you are referring to my modem settings. They had not changed. I've
    always used the default of "Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.92)". I had
    never modified anything from default and only needed to put the phone
    number, my ISP account name and ISP password.

    I guess I have a question for others. Has anyone upgraded to 10.3.9
    that uses dial-up and "doesn't" have this issue?

    - Mark
    , Apr 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    >Still, might make more sense to just fix the modem issue. Possibly
    >you're using the wrong modem script. Or by sheer coincidence just when

    >you upgraded to 10.3.9 something utterkly unrelated started slowing

    your
    >PPP connection down.

    Guess I find it interesting that an update where Apple adds a "modem
    script" my dial-up connection is affected. :)

    - Mark
    , Apr 19, 2005
  8. Chris Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    Madwen <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
    > > office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k.

    > Egad, this has to be about the 15th significant problem I've seen with
    > 10.3.9. And I am soooo glad that my download failed and that I did not
    > install that behemoth! I think I'll be staying with 10.3.8 until all
    > the reports on Tiger are good. Some people are reverting; you might
    > wish to consider that.

    Not too many people come here wondering why their machine is running
    good after an update =). I did my home computer Saturday without
    incident. I had 50+ computers turn themselves on in the wee hours of
    Sunday morning and do their own updates and didn't have any update
    related calls in the last two days.

    It's like Windows XP SP 2. You've heard all the horror stories about
    that upgrade. I did close to 200 PC's without a hitch. If a computer is
    in good condition going into an upgrade it's likely that it will be in
    good condition coming out. A slight problem, even one your unaware of,
    and the computer could be toast afterwards. And this is the place to
    come to state the problem.
    Chris Moore, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Guest

    So, when you say you did your computer at home without incident, did
    you upgraded to 10.3.9 and you are using a dial-up connection and
    weren't effected?

    - Mark
    , Apr 20, 2005
  10. Chris Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > So, when you say you did your computer at home without incident, did
    > you upgraded to 10.3.9 and you are using a dial-up connection and
    > weren't effected?

    I assume your directing the question to me though you didn't quote the
    text. No, none of the upgraded computers have dial up. Though I was
    talking about updates in general, in response to a post about updates
    in general. Don't let the subject line fool you =).
    Chris Moore, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Steve Lidie Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
    > office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k. I often connect @ 28.8k.
    > Occasionally I'll connect at 38k. I've even signed up for another
    > dial-up ISP to see if that made a difference and installed AOL software
    > to see. All with the same results of connecting at a slower speed than
    > before 10.3.9.
    >
    > I can take the phone cord out of my iBook G4 and plug it into my Win XP
    > box and connect at 53k everytime.
    >
    > This little detail in the 10.3.9 update concerns me:
    > ================
    > Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use
    > if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.
    > ================
    >
    > Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore? :)

    You are a rarity.

    > I guess I'm surprised this is only happening to me. Is anyone else
    > having a similar problem?

    No. Although my dial-up line is for backup only, I just tried it, and it works as always:
    48-ish Kb/s connects. Here is an FTP used to verify:

    ftp> get ptkref-800.005.2.tar.gz
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for ptkref-800.005.2.tar.gz (121982 bytes).
    #######################################################################################################################
    121982 bytes received in 00:24 (4.90 KB/s)

    Disconnecting from Internet Connect, Mac OS X fell back to broadband:

    ftp> get ptkref-800.005.2.tar.gz
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for ptkref-800.005.2.tar.gz (121982 bytes).
    #######################################################################################################################
    121982 bytes received in 00:01 (115.37 KB/s)

    > - Mark

    I do not suspect the update, myself ...

    Steve
    Steve Lidie, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Chris Moore Guest

    In article <d448l1$4j62$>, Steve Lidie
    <> wrote:

    > > Am I the only one that uses dial-up service anymore? :)

    > You are a rarity.

    I wouldn't call it a rarity yet. It was only in August that broadband
    beat dial up.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5750968/
    Chris Moore, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Al Guest

    In article <>,
    Matt Broughton <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I guess I have a question for others. Has anyone upgraded to 10.3.9
    > > that uses dial-up and "doesn't" have this issue?

    > Me.
    >
    > The only thing I noticed began with 10.3.8. It started taking a few
    > seconds before my external GV modem would start dialing. Prior to
    > 10.3.8, it was almost instantaneous. Just a small annoyance in reality.
    >
    > As long as you are not using the new modem script, linking the placing
    > of a new modem script file in the Modem Scripts file and your problems
    > is almost surely a non-starter. It's like saying I created a new text
    > file on my Desktop and started having connection problems. Therefore,
    > the text file is the obvious cause.
    >
    > You can always delete the new modem script that was added and see if
    > your problems improve.

    If your computer does what you want it to, never, ever, upgrade it until
    you buy a new one. I've seen too many screw-ups with upgrades to make me
    happy with them.

    I had to upgrade to 9.1 from 8.6 so I could run TurboTax. I had to go
    through H*** to get my modem to work again. Some programs don't behave
    correctly under 9.1. I now have an external hard drive that boots in
    8.6. I have the startup disk set to the external drive so it boots from
    that when it is turned on. Otherwise it boots from 9.6

    Oh, and I use a 266MGHz Beige G3 so don't tell me I need the OX!

    Al
    Al, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Mark Bacas Guest

    > I assume your directing the question to me though you didn't quote
    the
    > text. No, none of the upgraded computers have dial up. Though I was
    > talking about updates in general, in response to a post about updates
    > in general. Don't let the subject line fool you =).

    Yep, I was directing my question to you. Sorry about not quoting. I'm
    using this Google Groups stuff. Don't see an easy way to quote. I
    thought you might of been talking about updates in general, but wanted
    to check.

    I did a backup last night and reinstall (archive and install) of the OS
    to 10.3.5 (came with my iBook). That was fun, was up till around 2 in
    the morning. This morning I'm able to connect back at my usual 48k here
    at home. No to install the updates again hoping I don't have the same
    issue.

    - Mark
    Mark Bacas, Apr 20, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Madwen <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
    >> office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k.

    >Egad, this has to be about the 15th significant problem I've seen with
    >10.3.9. And I am soooo glad that my download failed and that I did not
    >install that behemoth! I think I'll be staying with 10.3.8 until all
    >the reports on Tiger are good. Some people are reverting; you might
    >wish to consider that.

    I installed 10.3.9 and now I have boils on my face. And my dog died.
    result in a fully-depreciated one.
    Matthew Russotto, Apr 20, 2005
  16. Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Madwen <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > > "" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Before 10.3.9 I would usually connect around 48k @ home and 52k @
    > >> office. Now I'm lucky if I connect at 31k.

    > >Egad, this has to be about the 15th significant problem I've seen with
    > >10.3.9. And I am soooo glad that my download failed and that I did not
    > >install that behemoth! I think I'll be staying with 10.3.8 until all
    > >the reports on Tiger are good. Some people are reverting; you might
    > >wish to consider that.

    > I installed 10.3.9 and now I have boils on my face. And my dog died.

    Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller, Apr 20, 2005
  17. Mark Bacas Guest

    Well, I just went through an exercise in futility. I believe that's how
    the saying goes.

    After backing up my iBook last night and reinstalling the OS I came
    into my office today where I have high speed and a dial-up line to test
    things out. Before I upgraded back to 10.3.9 like the Genius said I
    should, I dialed my ISP and connected at 53333. This is normally what I
    would connect at before this issue.

    I then went to Software Update and updated my system and got all the
    security updates and OS updates, etc. After I finished and went back to
    Software Update there it reported that I was all up to date.

    After the updates and restart of my iBook I immediately tried to
    connect again. Guess what!?!? I connected at fricking 31k and 28k.

    Okay, now a couple of questions.

    I'm on an iBook G4 1.33. Anyone else on an similar iBook with an
    internal modem upgrade to 10.3.9, using dial-up and NOT have this
    problem?

    Can I upgrade only to 10.3.8? I can't seem to find that on the Apple
    site. Is there somewhere else I can get it?

    Is there a way I should communicate this to Apple?

    - Mark
    Mark Bacas, Apr 20, 2005
  18. Mark Bacas Guest

    > As long as you are not using the new modem script, linking the
    placing
    > of a new modem script file in the Modem Scripts file and your

    problems
    > is almost surely a non-starter. It's like saying I created a new text

    > file on my Desktop and started having connection problems.

    Therefore,
    > the text file is the obvious cause.

    I was thinking that perhaps this new modem script corrupted or perhaps
    over written the other Apple Internal scripts or something.

    > You can always delete the new modem script that was added and see if
    > your problems improve.

    I don't see a "delete" option in the list of modems. Would I need to do
    this at the system/terminal prompt level?

    - Mark
    Mark Bacas, Apr 20, 2005
  19. Mark Bacas Guest

    Thanks for testing this out Steve.

    >No. Although my dial-up line is for backup only, I just tried it, and

    it works as > always:
    > 48-ish Kb/s connects. Here is an FTP used to verify:

    What kind of Apple box and modem are you using? I wouldn't expect this
    to be a problem with an external modem.

    - Mark
    Mark Bacas, Apr 20, 2005
  20. Mark Bacas Guest

    # 1. Is the Modem in the PC a software or hardware Modem? 2. Is the
    # Modem in the Mac a software or hardware Modem?

    Apple iBook G4 1.33 with internal modem. I believe it's a software
    modem.

    # If the Mac is a Software modem then something inside the driver
    # for the modem must have been changed to accommodate the Verizon
    # stuff. maybe the programmer left the debug flags on.

    I was thinking something along those lines. Even though I'm not
    using the Verizon v.34 modem setting. I guess it depends on whether
    something was written to the modem or just the string settings for
    the different modem configurations.

    # Try changing the phone line into your Macintosh and on another
    # thought, plug the Mac in right at the demarcation point in the
    # house.

    That was one of the first things I tried. I connected to the box
    outside the house. Same results. Had already called the phone
    company because I had noise problems before, but they reported no
    issues. That's why I tested it at the office as well and got the
    same slow connection results.

    # The moral of this is that something else could have gone wrong at
    # the same time, and whatever that something is, it is not affecting
    # the PC.

    I believe the reinstall of the OS, after which I connected at higher
    speeds and then proceeding with the update and getting the slower
    connection speeds points squarely at the OS update being the issue.

    - Mark
    Mark Bacas, Apr 20, 2005