Upgrading BIOS on a ASUS PC4800 Deluxe Motherboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Larry Jones, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Larry Jones

    Larry Jones Guest

    Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
    found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
    downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
    P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
    Help.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 04/08/2006
    Tested on: 4/8/2006 11:36:06 PM

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, Larry Jones
    <> wrote:

    > Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
    > found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
    > downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
    > P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
    > Help.

    You have your choice.

    There is an AFUDOS procedure in the TechnicalDocuments section
    of the support.asus.com.tw site.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&NO=546

    Your user manual should also contain a procedure. Chapter 4
    contains procedures for flashing. Section 4.1.2 "Using AFUDOS
    to update the BIOS", is basically the same content as the
    above technical document entry.

    I would recommend backing up the current BIOS on a floppy.
    If the BIOS is large enough, you may have to do this on
    a second floppy.

    In AFUDOS 2.19, I see this as the command line options.
    The "o" option allows you to dump the current BIOS to floppy.
    I would try the command with no /i option, to make just
    the backup. I have included both options here, but there
    might not be room on the floppy to do all of this, and
    we don't want any "accidents".

    Usage: AFUDOS /iP4C800.ROM /oBACKUP.ROM

    Asus may have modified the code, by putting its own wrapper
    around it. This document can show you some other options.
    Generally speaking, you don't want to attack the boot
    block, as recovery from a bad flash isn't going to work
    if the boot block is erased but not reprogrammed. This
    document would be describing what AMI passes to Asus, and
    not what Asus gives us.

    http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_Flash_Recovery_Whitepaper_v10.pdf

    Slapping /pc on the end of the command, would erase the CMOS,
    which in theory is the equivalent of clearing the CMOS
    with the jumper. This was in the readme file that accompanied
    AFUDOS 219 zip file. Is it absolutely essential ? Who knows.

    AFUDOS /iP4C800.ROM /pc

    Have fun,
    Paul

    1. Advertising

  3. Mistoffolees

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Larry Jones wrote:

    > Help! Just bought a P4 3.20E processor to replace a P4 2.60GHz. I
    > found out that I have to upgrade the bios to use the new processor. I've
    > downloaded the upgrade files from ASUS website (AFUDOS211.zip and
    > P4c1019.zip). but can't find any instructions for the procedure! Please
    > Help.

    A still easier method might be to use the ASUS EZ Flash
    method. Look it up in Chapter 4 of the P4C800 manual. If
    no manual, download a copy from the ASUS website...always
    good to have handy.

    Regardless of the method used, remember to re-configure
    the bios after flashing. Flashing puts the bios into a
    default state.