Upgrading from Dimension 4600i

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Lorne Oliver, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Lorne Oliver

    Lorne Oliver Guest

    Hi group,
    This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
    replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
    system:

    Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
    RAM: 1 GB
    O/S: Windows XP SP-2
    Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    Sound: Creative Live! SB series
    PSU: 250 watts
    Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
    CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
    Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card

    I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
    and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
    DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
    planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
    slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
    GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
    Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
    power it. Here are my questions to the forum:

    1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
    better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
    bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?

    2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
    way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
    Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
    well?

    TIA,
    Lorne
    Lorne Oliver, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Lorne Oliver

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Lorne Oliver" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    > This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
    > replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
    > system:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
    > RAM: 1 GB
    > O/S: Windows XP SP-2
    > Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    > Sound: Creative Live! SB series
    > PSU: 250 watts
    > Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
    > CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
    > Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card
    >
    > I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
    > and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
    > DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
    > planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
    > slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
    > GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
    > Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
    > power it. Here are my questions to the forum:
    >
    > 1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
    > better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
    > bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?
    >
    > 2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
    > way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
    > Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
    > well?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Lorne

    You need to sell your current system and purchase a new one. There is no
    way that buying parts would be the right or economical way to go. It is
    always cheaper to get it assembled.

    For what you're looking for, look at the XPS600. You might even consider
    two 7000GT in an SLI config rather than the GTX.
    Tom Scales, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Lorne Oliver

    BVFN Admin Guest

    That's sometime trues, sometimes not. when you are starting with a
    prebuild such as a Dell and you want to expand that much, go either buy
    or build a new one. there are different costs to building and
    prebuilds. prebuilds are normally cheaper up front, but cost more to
    upgrade and have fewer upgrade options. if you custom build, you will
    probably spend a little more up front, but upgrade options are cheaper
    and there are more of them.

    as much as i love NVidia, from what i've seen dual SLi isn't what it's
    cracked up to be... unless you can go all out and get the quad SLi, i
    would go with a single card config.
    BVFN Admin, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Lorne Oliver

    S.Lewis Guest

    > Hi group,
    > This is my first post here. I have done a search on this topic but all
    > replies found are long out of date. Here are the specs of my current
    > system:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 4600i 3.06 GHz on M/B: Dell 0F4491
    > RAM: 1 GB
    > O/S: Windows XP SP-2
    > Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    > Sound: Creative Live! SB series
    > PSU: 250 watts
    > Drives: 3 x 80 GB internal, 1x 200GB external
    > CD R/W (internal) DVD R/W (external)
    > Other Misc: CDMA USB Modem for ADSL and Digital Video capture card
    >
    > I saw the dual graphics card options on the new XPS on offer at DELL
    > and started drooling. This is a home computer, mainly used for P2P,
    > DVD, video editing, and gaming. Before I saw that however, I had
    > planned to upgrade the motherboard to one with PCi-Express graphics
    > slot, so I can massively upgrade the video card to something like
    > GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB or something thereabouts. I am thinking about a
    > Dual-Core CPU as well... I am certain to have to upgrade the PSU to
    > power it. Here are my questions to the forum:
    >
    > 1) What is the DELL policy on system upgrades of this type? Would it be
    > better to do it piecemeal or basically swap systems? Can I purchase a
    > bare-bones new system and add to it from what I have?
    >
    > 2) Assuming I do it piecemeal, what do others on the forum suggest by
    > way of expansions/upgrades? What potential problems do you see with it?
    > Will this all fit in the same tower or will that need to be expaned as
    > well?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Lorne

    Don't attempt to make a hard-core gamer out of that system with the Intel
    865 chipset. I also think you'd do far better to sell the Dim4600 as it's
    well-equipped, and move up to an XPS system.

    I say this recalling comments from friends and counterparts who compared
    game performance in comparably equipped Dim4600's and 8300's (Intel 875
    chipset) at the time. The 4600 struggled with games the 8300 pretty easily
    handled.

    But that's just me.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Apr 11, 2006