    And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
    upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?

    Jeff

    Jeff, May 20, 2007

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    more info here!

    Here are some more info about my IS7 computer:

    RAM:
    DDR-DIMM PC3200 256MB DDR CL2.5 Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

    Cabinet:
    Chieftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet m/360W DX-01W P4/AMD

    Jeff, May 20, 2007

  3. Jeff

    SumGuy Guest

    Re: more info here!

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Here are some more info about my IS7 computer:
    >
    > RAM:
    > DDR-DIMM PC3200 256MB DDR CL2.5 Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)
    >
    > Cabinet:
    > Chieftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet m/360W DX-01W P4/AMD

    You don't say what you want to upgrade to, but if your new motherboard
    supports DDR, then yes you can use the memory. If it only supports DDR2 then
    you can't. DDR2 memory is quite cheap though.

    I doubt a new chipset would support DDR1, you will need to research the Abit
    website as I am not familiar with every board Abit makes.

    What CPU were you thinking of. Many of the intel based chipset support a
    very wide range of 775 processors

    Your case should be fine, though with the power supply, does it have a 20 or
    24 pin mainboard connector? New motherboards are 24 pin, though I believe
    you can get adapters so 20 pin power supplies will work.

    Were you planning on using an uber graphics card or not. Unless you are
    running an 8800 GTX or something your PSU will probably be OK.

    I would suggest you look at prices, as basing you upgrade on what memory it
    will take is false economy. DDR2 is so cheap atm.

    SumGuy, May 20, 2007
  4. Jeff

    Zadok Guest

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:04:00 +0200, "Jeff"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey
    >
    >I've a pc with the IS7 motherboard, 512mb RAM, pentium 2.6 GHz!
    >
    >I'm wondering if for example I bought a new motherboard could I for example
    >use my RAM from IS7 on this new motherboard? I mean a I buy a new
    >motherboard based on Intel technology and based on the newest processors
    >from Intel (lets say a new motherboard from Abit)?
    >
    >And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
    >upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?
    >
    >Jeff

    If this is your board the this manufacturer's site should answer your
    questions:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=79
    Why do you simply want a new board?

    If I were looking for an upgrade to this system then I would upgrade
    the RAM first. A 2gb Dual Channel DDR 400 kit can be had for <$100.\
    http://www.komusa.com/400ddr2duch.html for example.

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')

    Zadok, May 20, 2007
  5. Jeff

    Guest

    Jeff <> wrote:
    > I've a pc with the IS7 motherboard, 512mb RAM, pentium 2.6 GHz!

    Me Too! Fine machine, still viable.

    > I'm wondering if for example I bought a new motherboard could I for example
    > use my RAM from IS7 on this new motherboard? I mean a I buy a new
    > motherboard based on Intel technology and based on the newest processors
    > from Intel (lets say a new motherboard from Abit)?

    you're using DDR, all new intel's want DDR2, so you're out of luck. You
    might still find an AMD socket 939 motherboard that does DDR, but the
    newest socket AM2 now requires DDR2 also. [DDR2 is still a joke, it just
    costs more without providing any tangable benefit].

    > And also I'm wondering if I can use the cabinet of my IS7 computer on the
    > upgraded pc or do I have to buy a new cabinet too ?

    Depends on the power supply. you may need a $2 adapter to change the
    20-pin to a 24-pin. Modern boards/cpus actually use less power these
    days, but high end graphics cards eat up lots of juice.

    ---

    Your machine still has some life left in it, and always remember the
    cardinal rule of PCs:

    "Next month something better will cost less and do more."

    So, I'd wait, and consider doing a tiny upgrade now, perhaps a better
    keyboard and mouse, or a new widescreen display, or nice speakers,
    something with immeadiate gratification and that will easily transfer to
    the new system when you do move on.

    , May 21, 2007