upgrading RAM in old Dell desktop.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by sspeedy, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. sspeedy

    sspeedy Guest

    Hi again,
    First off, I did make this post in another one of these forums and
    I've realized maybe this is more appropriate place for the questions I
    have.

    Here it is:
    I have a really old Dell Dimension that my friend recently acquired.
    It's a Dell Dimension L600cx. She gave it to her mom so she could do
    basic stuff like cruise the internet, check her email, work on
    Word/Excel, play games on yahoo, etc.

    However, we noticed how slow this dinosaur really is. I believe it has
    Windows 2000 Professional on it. I can't remember if my friend checked
    how much RAM it has; but let's just say that when you push in the
    tower power button..... the time it takes for it to load the desktop
    and everything is easily 4 min's. It might actually be 5-7 min's. It
    is VERY slowly.

    We have never actually looked inside a pc.. I'm always afraid I'll
    mess something up. But my friend says she doesn't care since it didn't
    cost her much to get it anyway.

    So she opened up the case. Inside it is really dusty, so we can clean
    that up. I believe she took out two ram sticks... or at least, we hope
    so laughing

    One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
    the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

    Now, I have questions:
    1) So does that mean that both of the sticks add upto 128 MB in
    memory?
    2) Would adding memory to this thing actually help?
    If yes for #2, I need to know where I can purchase it, how much, and
    what to look out for (i.e. what does synch mean, cl2, and why does it
    say 100 mhz?)

    3) How much memory can I add to this thing? (what's the limit)?
    4) I saw a sticker in the front that says it was 'designed for MS
    Windows 2000 Pro, Win. NT Workstation 4.0, Win 98". Can I install
    Win XP Home Edition on this thing?

    Ok, yep, I know a lot of questions, but I'm ready to take this all
    in.. So please help without too many insults wink

    TIA.

    sspeedy, Feb 19, 2007

  2. 1) yes, it sounds like you have a system total of 128mb. that is a really
    just a bare minimum to run windows 2000. if you are also running antivirus,
    as you should, then the machine would run miserably slow.
    2) yes. and crucial.com is the place to buy it (look under dell, dimension,
    l series). you could potentially buy it for a little bit less elsewhere but
    you could also easily buy incompatible memory elsewhere which ultimately
    will cost you more. memory for this system is expensive, $65 for 256mb.
    you could add one 256mb and use it in conjunction with one of the existing
    128mb modules for a system total of 384mb which will provide a noticeable
    boost in system performance. of course more is better, but perhaps not
    economical to put much money into this machine when a new machine with
    everything faster can be had for as little as $400.
    3) you have several questions in this question... part of which was answered
    above. then rest here... this system supports a maximum of two 256mb
    modules for a system maximum of 512mb. yes you can install windows xp on
    this system. it installs very easily but requires at least a 10gb drive
    just to have windows xp and office 2000 and antivirus fully installed. so
    you really want to have at least a 20gb drive in my opinion. but keep in
    mind that a copy of xp costs about $100, plus the $65 for additional ram,
    and potential cost for a new hard disk means you are well on your way to
    paying half the cost of a brand new low end system that would blow this one
    away performance wise... keep this in mind before you do anything.
    good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 19, 2007

  3. sspeedy

    Geoff Guest

    > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
    > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

    try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
    PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)

    mainly the reason the pc is too slow is becuase it doesn't have enough
    memory, windows 2000 (or any version of XP) needs 256 or more really

    don't bother putting XP on it, just see if you can get some extra ram for it
    and leave it really

    Geoff, Feb 19, 2007
  4. sspeedy

    RnR Guest

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:14:33 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <> wrote:

    >1) yes, it sounds like you have a system total of 128mb. that is a really
    >just a bare minimum to run windows 2000. if you are also running antivirus,
    >as you should, then the machine would run miserably slow.
    >2) yes. and crucial.com is the place to buy it (look under dell, dimension,
    >l series). you could potentially buy it for a little bit less elsewhere but
    >you could also easily buy incompatible memory elsewhere which ultimately
    >will cost you more. memory for this system is expensive, $65 for 256mb.
    >you could add one 256mb and use it in conjunction with one of the existing
    >128mb modules for a system total of 384mb which will provide a noticeable
    >boost in system performance. of course more is better, but perhaps not
    >economical to put much money into this machine when a new machine with
    >everything faster can be had for as little as $400.
    >3) you have several questions in this question... part of which was answered
    >above. then rest here... this system supports a maximum of two 256mb
    >modules for a system maximum of 512mb. yes you can install windows xp on
    >this system. it installs very easily but requires at least a 10gb drive
    >just to have windows xp and office 2000 and antivirus fully installed. so
    >you really want to have at least a 20gb drive in my opinion. but keep in
    >mind that a copy of xp costs about $100, plus the $65 for additional ram,
    >and potential cost for a new hard disk means you are well on your way to
    >paying half the cost of a brand new low end system that would blow this one
    >away performance wise... keep this in mind before you do anything.
    >good luck.

    Agreed. Unfortunately that's the sad aspect of wanting to upgrade old
    pc/laptops. The cost is just too high vs. new low end units to make
    it practical in "most" cases. And earlier today I was browsing on
    techbargains.com and saw a couple of new low end laptops (I think
    around $399 up) that would probably outperform the OP's old unit.
    (I didn't pay much attention to these units' details because I'm not
    shopping for them but just wanted to use them as an example)

    RnR, Feb 19, 2007
  5. sspeedy

    Mark Dunn Guest

    Try ebay. I've upgraded one Gateway for £2.70 and even an Optiplex to 512
    for only £11. Pro rata, that's the same.

    Mark Dunn, Feb 19, 2007
  6. sspeedy

    Mark Dunn Guest

    Mind you, 4 minutes for boot-up sounds like more than a RAM shortage.

    Mark Dunn, Feb 19, 2007
  7. sspeedy

    [L.] Guest

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:55:03 -0000, "Mark Dunn"
    <> wrote:

    >"Geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
    >> > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".

    >> try crucial, they will prob sell you some ram that will work
    >> PC100 or PC133 (old SDRAM)

    Try your local freecycle group (google for URL) and get them for free.
    PC100/PC133 are quite often found in salvaged machines.

    [L.]

    [L.], Feb 19, 2007
  8. sspeedy

    Guest

    On 19 Feb, 09:27, (sspeedy) wrote:
    > Hi again,
    > First off, I did make this post in another one of these forums and
    > I've realized maybe this is more appropriate place for the questions I
    > have.
    >
    > Here it is:
    > I have a really old Dell Dimension that my friend recently acquired.
    > It's a Dell Dimension L600cx. She gave it to her mom so she could do
    > basic stuff like cruise the internet, check her email, work on
    > Word/Excel, play games on yahoo, etc.
    >
    > However, we noticed how slow this dinosaur really is. I believe it has
    > Windows 2000 Professional on it. I can't remember if my friend checked
    > how much RAM it has; but let's just say that when you push in the
    > tower power button..... the time it takes for it to load the desktop
    > and everything is easily 4 min's. It might actually be 5-7 min's. It
    > is VERY slowly.
    >
    > We have never actually looked inside a pc.. I'm always afraid I'll
    > mess something up. But my friend says she doesn't care since it didn't
    > cost her much to get it anyway.
    >
    > So she opened up the case. Inside it is really dusty, so we can clean
    > that up. I believe she took out two ram sticks... or at least, we hope
    > so laughing
    >
    > One of the RAM stick says "64MB, Synch, 100 MHz, CL2" and
    > the other one says "Kingston Technology KVR100X64C2/64 CE".
    >
    > Now, I have questions:
    > 1) So does that mean that both of the sticks add upto 128 MB in
    > memory?
    > 2) Would adding memory to this thing actually help?
    > If yes for #2, I need to know where I can purchase it, how much, and
    > what to look out for (i.e. what does synch mean, cl2, and why does it
    > say 100 mhz?)
    >
    > 3) How much memory can I add to this thing? (what's the limit)?
    > 4) I saw a sticker in the front that says it was 'designed for MS
    > Windows 2000 Pro, Win. NT Workstation 4.0, Win 98". Can I install
    > Win XP Home Edition on this thing?
    >
    > Ok, yep, I know a lot of questions, but I'm ready to take this all
    > in.. So please help without too many insults wink
    >
    > TIA.

    Regarding the slow boot, go into the bios and make sure the processor
    speed is set to "normal" and NOT "compatible"....

    , Feb 21, 2007