Upgrading T42 with WinXP Professional 40 GB to a new 80 GB drive

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by barman@jhu.edu, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a Thinkpad T42 with its original 40GB drive. I want to upgrade
    to an 80GB drive and used Apricorn's nice EZ Upgrade product to clone
    the 40GB to the 80GB drive. I wasn't sure what to do with the hidden
    partition; instead of proportionally increasing the size, on IBM
    service's advise, they said that I could get by with going from about
    4GB to about 6GB, and that's what I did.

    But after cloning, when I put the 80GB drive in to boot, the drive's
    password is successfully accepted, but then I get a blinking cursor. I
    wonder if it isn't because of the hidden partition. Any advise?

    By the way, my blue Access IBM button used to work and bring up a menu
    of Thinkpad related tasks, but hasn't been working for some months now
    in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

    Dilip

    1. Advertising

  2. eM eL

    eM eL Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > But after cloning, when I put the 80GB drive in to boot, the drive's
    > password is successfully accepted, but then I get a blinking cursor. I
    > wonder if it isn't because of the hidden partition. Any advise?

    When ghosting/cloning the drive make the new drive active (so the MBR is copied) but
    don't assign it a letter (which would be D or whatever...) Windows XP will assign it
    the letter C: upon first boot and store its ID in the registry.

    > By the way, my blue Access IBM button used to work and bring up a menu
    > of Thinkpad related tasks, but hasn't been working for some months now
    > in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

    Reinstall/upgrade the TP utilities suite (best using the IBM/Lenovo software
    installer.)
    --
    ><eM eL><

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition. I don't
    have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

  4. eM eL

    eM eL Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

    Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
    partition.

    > I don't
    > have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    > fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    > from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

    Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
    was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
    You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
    do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
    google is your friend.

    --
    ><eM eL><
    ><Dance, monkeys. Dance><

  5. noname

    noname Guest

    eM eL wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

    > Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
    > partition.

    Sorry but it is very possible it is the rescue system. After encounting
    several similar problems like described by Dilip I contacted Symantec.
    They confirmed these problems can be caused when some versions of the
    system are used with some versions of Ghost.

    >>I don't
    >>have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    >>fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    >>from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

    > Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
    > was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
    > You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
    > do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
    > google is your friend.

    Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue
    system does not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few
    months making both normal system and the rescue system useless imho the
    rescue system is a wast of diskspace anyway.
    S.

  6. eM eL

    eM eL Guest

    "noname" <> wrote in message

    > Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue system does
    > not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few months making both normal
    > system and the rescue system useless imho the rescue system is a wast of diskspace
    > anyway.

    IBM/Lenovo offers an upload for IBM RESCUE AND RECOVERY system which allows the
    creation of one's own rescue/recovery CD - a route preferable to using a hidden
    partition on the hard drive. The download is machine-specific and rather large (~380
    MB) but doable with DSL/Cable