    in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

    Dilip

    , Sep 11, 2005

  2. eM eL Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > But after cloning, when I put the 80GB drive in to boot, the drive's
    > password is successfully accepted, but then I get a blinking cursor. I
    > wonder if it isn't because of the hidden partition. Any advise?

    When ghosting/cloning the drive make the new drive active (so the MBR is copied) but
    don't assign it a letter (which would be D or whatever...) Windows XP will assign it
    the letter C: upon first boot and store its ID in the registry.

    > By the way, my blue Access IBM button used to work and bring up a menu
    > of Thinkpad related tasks, but hasn't been working for some months now
    > in doing that or interrupting the boot sequence. Strange!

    Reinstall/upgrade the TP utilities suite (best using the IBM/Lenovo software
    installer.)

    eM eL, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition. I don't
    have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

    , Sep 11, 2005
  4. eM eL Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

    Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
    partition.

    > I don't
    > have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    > fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    > from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

    Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
    was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
    You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
    do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
    google is your friend.

    eM eL, Sep 11, 2005
  5. noname Guest

    eM eL wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks. I think the problem is the Thinkpad hidden partition.

    > Not likely. I have successfully ghosted numerous drives with the TP hidden
    > partition.

    Sorry but it is very possible it is the rescue system. After encounting
    several similar problems like described by Dilip I contacted Symantec.
    They confirmed these problems can be caused when some versions of the
    system are used with some versions of Ghost.

    >>I don't
    >>have a choice of not assigning a drive letter - the clone seems to go
    >>fine but when I put the new drive inside the Thinkpad and try to boot
    >>from it, after taking the password, I just get a blinking line.

    > Yes, most likely because the system has stored the ID of drive D: (or whatever letter
    > was assigned to it whilst ghosting...) and it cannot boot from anything but drive C:
    > You can use a ghosting utility which will not assign a letter to the ghosted drive or
    > do some surgery on the registry. There are several threads about it on the 'net -
    > google is your friend.

    Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue
    system does not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few
    months making both normal system and the rescue system useless imho the
    rescue system is a wast of diskspace anyway.
    S.

    noname, Sep 13, 2005
  6. eM eL Guest

    "noname" <> wrote in message

    > Even when this solves booting to XP there is a big chance the rescue system does
    > not work. But after two disk that went bad after a few months making both normal
    > system and the rescue system useless imho the rescue system is a wast of diskspace
    > anyway.

    IBM/Lenovo offers an upload for IBM RESCUE AND RECOVERY system which allows the
    creation of one's own rescue/recovery CD - a route preferable to using a hidden
    partition on the hard drive. The download is machine-specific and rather large (~380
    MB) but doable with DSL/Cable

    eM eL, Sep 13, 2005