    512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    , Mar 10, 2008

  2. writes:
    >I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    >40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    >512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    >it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    Yes.

    The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.

    The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    slow small system myself.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Hi,

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > writes:
    >> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    >> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    >> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    >> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    > Yes.
    >
    > The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    > controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    > 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    > the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    > any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
    >
    > The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    > as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    > slow small system myself.

    Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Guest

    I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
    66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
    137GB barrier or not.

    P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
    my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
    one.

    On Mar 10, 4:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > >I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    > >40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    > >512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    > >it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    > Yes.
    >
    > The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    > controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    > 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    > the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    > any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
    >
    > The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    > as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    > slow small system myself.

    , Mar 10, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Mar 10, 6:52 pm, Michael Laajanen <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > > writes:
    > >> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    > >> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    > >> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    > >> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    > > Yes.

    > > The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    > > controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    > > 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    > > the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    > > any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.

    > > The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    > > as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    > > slow small system myself.

    > Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?
    >
    > /michael

    It says the slots will only accept 512MB sticks.

    , Mar 10, 2008
  6. Michael Laajanen <> writes:
    >Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >> writes:
    >>> I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    >>> 40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    >>> 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    >>> it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    >> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    >> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    >> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    >> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
    >>
    >> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    >> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    >> slow small system myself.
    >>

    >Are you sure that the Blade can take 4GB, not only 2GB?

    No, I'm not sure, I was only going by a memory sale site that I've
    used some over the years.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Hi,

    wrote:
    > I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
    > 66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
    > 137GB barrier or not.
    >
    > P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
    > my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
    > one.

    I am pretty sure that the Blade 150 can use more than 127GB or 137 whatever.

    I would recommend a USB 2.0 PCI board from a good vendor like Belkin and
    then attach external USB storage, DVD burner is just to install instead
    of the CD/DVD ROM.

    You can add a second HD drive, but keep an eye on the cooling by placing
    the cables nice and maybe add a second fan for the drives feed from the
    front to rear.

    Memory, I have 2GB(4x512MB) in my Blade 150, you can also add a XVR-100
    graphic adapter which you will have benefit of in Gnome and more.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Mar 11, 2008
  8. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:56:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >I can't figure out which ATA spec it uses. Seems like it's either ATA/
    >66 or ATA/100. It's not really clear whether it's subject to the
    >137GB barrier or not.
    >
    >P.S. It's nice for you to offer up knowledge, but no need to bust on
    >my hardware. I know it's old, but nobody is offering to buy me a new
    >one.

    In that case we'll bust on your posting style.

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

    >On Mar 10, 4:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >> writes:
    >> >I am upgrading a Sun Blade 150. It currently has 1GB of RAM and a
    >> >40GB harddrive. It is running Solaris 8. I was going to put four
    >> >512MB sticks of ECC PC133 memory and a 500GB UATA/100 harddrive in
    >> >it. Are there any compatibility issues with these upgrades?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> The Blade 150 is pre Ultra-ATA standard, thus its onboard ATA
    >> controller can only address 128GB of drive. It could end up seeing
    >> 128GB of the drive, or maybe less, depending on lots of things on how
    >> the drive interacts with the ancient ATA controller. This is much like
    >> any Sun (or PC) hardware of the era.
    >>
    >> The memory should be fine, the Blade 150 can address 4GB of DRAM, and
    >> as you spec, it is PC133 ECC DIMMs. Not sure why I'd bother on such a
    >> slow small system myself.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page